SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More than one Winner in Tikal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeuni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: More than one Winner in Tikal Reply with quote

In game http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=12142 two players have the same high score. The rules say, the player with the most points wins, but only one of the players is listed.
spearjr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of a tie breaker was asked on BGG, no solution was listed.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/111785
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the completed games page can only show one winner. I am pretty sure that both of you got credit for the win in your percentages. I will look into it.
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to your profile and check your "completed games" list
you will see yourself and the other player highlighted in green as winners
you both get credit for a win in your profile and the rankings list

the game will also be listed in your "games won" list

on the master list of games completed there is only space to list one
winner and it appears to be random as to who gets listed
jeuni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. The game is indeed listed in my profile as a won game.
Bogey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tie breaker is the player with the most guys off the board.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your source for that tiebreaker rule?
Bogey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was in the rules however I was wrong. It must then be a tournament rule from the World Boardgaming Championship. (It makes perfect sense anyway.)
mrbass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes no sense. So I cap two temples and lose guys so I get guys off the board and the other guy who ties for the win doesn't cap any guys and thus doesn't lose any guys off the board. I think it's better how it is a two way tie is a tie and three way tie is a tie. Now if the auction version it may have a tie breaker rule...not sure though.
spearjr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
That makes no sense. So I cap two temples and lose guys so I get guys off the board and the other guy who ties for the win doesn't cap any guys and thus doesn't lose any guys off the board. I think it's better how it is a two way tie is a tie and three way tie is a tie. Now if the auction version it may have a tie breaker rule...not sure though.

Well I think the rule intends to count only guys in your usable supply, not the ones removed from capping a temple. The idea would be that whoever scored their points through the most efficient use of workers. There are other games that have this sort of tie-breaker, but I can't remember which ones right now. (Lame, I know, I'll update when I remember.)
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tiebreaker seems a little too arbitrary. So what if I used more workers than you? How can you say one player was more or less "efficient" based on that metric alone? We both had the opportunity to use exactly the same number of action points.

My suspicion is that since there's no tiebreaker specified in the rules, then the game's designer didn't intend there to be one. I can understand why the WBC would want to add a tiebreaker; but I don't see a problem with games here ending in ties.
spearjr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
That tiebreaker seems a little too arbitrary. So what if I used more workers than you? How can you say one player was more or less "efficient" based on that metric alone? We both had the opportunity to use exactly the same number of action points.

My suspicion is that since there's no tiebreaker specified in the rules, then the game's designer didn't intend there to be one. I can understand why the WBC would want to add a tiebreaker; but I don't see a problem with games here ending in ties.

I agree, I don't think we need a tie breaker here. I was just giving my interpretation on Bogey's suggestion.
Bogey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spear is correct. I should have mentioned guys "unused." And while I don't think we need a tiebreaker here, I like this one.

If haven't used 10 guys and you have used all of yours, I've generally outplayed you (in as much as one can in a multiplayer game). Certainly, my points per guy average is higher:)
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have you outplayed me? I still don't follow that logic. We both had the same number of action points to spend. You can spend the points on any number of things, only one of which is bringing more explorers onto the board.

If instead you gave each player a token for each unused action point during the game, then you could argue that whichever player had more of those at the end was more efficient.
shrapnel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Why have you outplayed me? I still don't follow that logic. We both had the same number of action points to spend. You can spend the points on any number of things, only one of which is bringing more explorers onto the board.

I think it comes down to valuation of resources. Action points are only one of the limited resources we have over the course of the game. We've also got a limited number of leaders, workers, base camps, and opportunities to guard temples. Action points aside, each of these resources allow us some sort of in-game advantage at any given instant. You can't score your first point if you don't bring any workers into play.

If we all had the same number of action points for the game, and I spent fewer workers during the course of the game to earn more points than another player, I'd say I've outplayed that person. I've earned more points with fewer on-board advantages.

Wouldn't you say that one person outplayed another if he or she won without bringing the leader into play? Or if only 10 workers were used to win when another player used all 30? If not, why not?

I have to agree with the others who like this idea for a tiebreaker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: