SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quitting a Game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostSoul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Quitting a Game Reply with quote

How do I quit a game? I have been involved in a game of Bus for 25 days and we are still at the start of turn 2!!!!!!!!! One of the players has a no interest in playing and has taken a combined time of 12 days so far for 8 actions. A few waits have been 3 or 4 days long and we are at 4.5 days and counting now. I have no interest at all in being involved in a game that will last for 6 mths especially when all the the other games I have played or am playing go much quicker. I understand that every so often a person may take 3 or 4 days for a turn, but the consistency of this persons slow play leads me to believe the whole game will be this way.
areeve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that there was no reply to your message and this is something that I too share your concern and frustration on.

I have a game of Bus where one of the players has taken over a month to take a turn... and I can count on it being a week between turns. On the plus side this is a learning game for me and I probably won't lose it because I'll be dead before the game finishes.

I also have other games where I see players that are involved in 20-30+ games take a turn in a game or two here and there leading to 3-4+ day gaps between turns. If you don't have the time for at least a turn a day then DON'T JOIN 50 GAMES!!!! You obviously can't handle the load.

In any event, is there anything that the powers that be can do? I think the "3 months and you're out" is a bit too lenient, yet I understand that you don't want to make it a week with exceptions and then have to handle a bunch of emails asking for vacation time.

My idea is a flag for a game that indicates some sort of speed commitment... say "players with and avg turn time of 6 or fewer hours and a worst case of 2 days" or something of that sort.

I also, personally, would like to be able to put players that I've had a bad experience with, in terms of the time per turn, on a 'black list' so that I don't see games they are in and possibly either they can't join my games or if they join it pushes me out (I'd rather not play than play with something that takes forever).

Anyhow, I know it's a lot of work coding this stuff (as that's my occupation, too) and is even more work when you're doing it in your spare time... but just throwing my thoughts and feelings on the topic out there.
smlait

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My idea is a flag for a game that indicates some sort of speed commitment... say "players with and avg turn time of 6 or fewer hours and a worst case of 2 days" or something of that sort.

I don't think we should be using the "longest time to take a turn" as a flag. At Christmas, for example, many games paused for up to a week by mutual agreement, so many players who take their turns (very) regularly will still have a longest recorded turn time of 4-14 days. Vacations happen.

(Incidentally, my longest "without turn" was actually due to a game that was bugged and I was waiting to see if it would be fixed. I wouldn't want that one instance to exclude me from being able to play quick games.)
areeve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that vacations aren't exactly a big surprise... i.e. generally they are scheduled... and perhaps one should not be joining a game when they know they'll be heading out and unable to take turns for the duration of their vacation. I know that raises the issue of how does one know as to whether a game will last into one's vacation and I'm sure many would disagree with me on the point of vacations and that's fine.

However, I will say that I was able to put in the 5 minutes per day througout Christmas to maintain roughly a turn a day.

That said... people taking vacations really isn't the focus of the thread. It's people that:

a) Take a month between turns and
b) People that join 50 games, but can't handle taking an average of even a turn a day in just a few of those games (leading to a week or two) between turns

Perhaps there's nothing reasonable that can be done as I certainly don't expect the site operators to set up a support line for all of this.

I, as the original poster said, feel stuck in a game now such that I can't take a 6 month break from spielbyweb now because some other guy can't be reasonable in their turn taking time.
areeve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be frustrated by players that join games, but don't take their turns on a reasonable schedule. I now have 3 games in this state.

I don't want to be a burden on the developers on this site given that they do it all as a labor of love, but I really wish something could be implemented that would allow parameters to be set when creating games regarding player quality such as players must have an average time per turn of < 12 hours and x completed games or whatnot.

And as a side note... for me it's 3 DIFFERENT people that are blocking/slowing the game from completion.

I'm not saying kick these people off of the site... I just don't wish to play with people that takes 2, 3, or even 4 weeks between turns and in some cases never return (I've had 1 abandoned game, too).
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we ALL get frustrated Evil or Very Mad by players who do not take their turns in
a timely manor --- but it is a minor problem compared to the
100's of games being played by players taking their turns

looking at your games -- one player I belive has quit SBW
and the other games appear slow --

you have only 3 active games and they are all slow at this moment
I have 5 slow games on my list --- and lots of good and active
games

don't let a few people ruin your enjoyment of playing on SBW
start or join a few more games --- that way 100 % of your games
will not be slow or dead
sannepoet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: computer crash Reply with quote

What happens if your computer crashes, you can not afford to fix it, and finally, when it did get fixed, your internet connection is dislodged by the provider and and?
I have a friend with this trouble. I took over her turns, but one of her games I do not know, and, because of my enthousiastic but simple playing, she lost games she could have won.
(forgive me denise) Embarassed

when all of her problems are finally solved, she would really love to be able to join quick games again.

but now her average has dropped. (I have some computer troubles too)
X-fihter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thank you
josaflenya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, but it's easy right now.
TheresaCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate such games.
lysagrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm sorry u hooked
ReboLangos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!
Martinkatan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: