SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show count of markets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murwiz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Show count of markets? Reply with quote

Could the game display incorporate the current market count for each player? It would be very helpful to know, for instance, what my (or another player's) next market connection would be worth.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just count them? Two hands should be enough Very Happy
Murwiz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so hard to find them on a crowded board. And isn't that what computers are good at -- counting things??
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mrbass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already suggested that in beta testing but the problem is (and rightly so) is that there are endless things that could be counted besides just that.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Show count of markets? Reply with quote

Murwiz wrote:
Could the game display incorporate the current market count for each player? It would be very helpful to know, for instance, what my (or another player's) next market connection would be worth.

If you know how many markets you have, you know how much the next one is worth. If you're connected to five markets, the next one is worth six more points; if you're connected to six markets, the next is worth seven, etc.

As far as displaying that information, mrbass is dead on: we had to draw the line somewhere. If you really want to play a game with more open information, you could play Variant 2 where the scoring is done as you go.
Kanga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things I have noticed along the same lines:

When I am playing a game (and I think it's close enough to matter) I will add up the players scores each turn. All the information is available on the screen, it's just a time consuming process. I'd prefer to have that information automatically available, although I understand why you haven't chosen to do that.

On a lesser note, when you choose a new card to end your turn, you dont get the message informing you of what your score is; whereas when you end it by playing a card you do. This I am guessing is an oversight - once again my preference would be to have the score available every turn.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanga wrote:
A couple of things I have noticed along the same lines:

When I am playing a game (and I think it's close enough to matter) I will add up the players scores each turn. All the information is available on the screen, it's just a time consuming process. I'd prefer to have that information automatically available, although I understand why you haven't chosen to do that.

I've noticed from my own playing habits that at key points in the game I will add up people's scores. I must admit that on those occasions I find myself cursing whoever developed the game for not including a score calculator. On the other hand, if we included a "Show what so-and-so's score would be" button, people would wonder why we don't just have it always shown... and if it's always shown, that takes us back to Variant 2.

Quote:
On a lesser note, when you choose a new card to end your turn, you dont get the message informing you of what your score is; whereas when you end it by playing a card you do. This I am guessing is an oversight - once again my preference would be to have the score available every turn.

That is an oversight, sort of. If you have "confirm my actions" turned on in your profile, you'll be prompted when you buy a card as your last action. If you have that option turned off, buying a card will end your turn immediately. So it could get appended to the "Buying a card will end your turn warning..." but if you have confirm turned off you'll never see that.

Maybe what I'll do is make a "Preview Score" button next to each player in the game, but I'll have it sleep for 10 seconds before returning... that ought to keep the OCD score watchers in check. Smile
freduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there better thing to be spending developer's time on? Personally, I'd rather have bugs fixed (if there are any) and new games developed, rather than non-essential nice-to-haves for those who don't want to add up scores themselves.

As a side issue, this is not the same as Variant 2, as that variant only has one scoring round (at the end). The mid-way scoring round is crucially different!
LisaHamiltonEu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: