SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Myke/Ryan: Land deck shouldn't be reshuffled

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the land deck in Hacienda be reshuffled when it runs out?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 17 ]
Ask Kramer, Brunhoffer, or Tummelson
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Undecided
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Don't care
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

Fawkes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Myke/Ryan: Land deck shouldn't be reshuffled Reply with quote

I realize that the Haz rules (which I have in front of me) don't explicity say whether or not to reshuffle the land deck when it runs out.

However, it makes the most sense for the land deck to NOT be reshuffled when it runs out. Otherwise, you could potentially have a fill-up-the-pampas endgame when no one can connect to any more markets. When the land runs out, either use up the pricey stuff (water, haciendas) or end the game by pulling livestock.

And look: 80 land cards, 80 land tiles in the box.

No, I haven't asked Wolfgang Kramer, Bernd Brunhoffer, or Jay Tummelson. I'm just saying.
freduk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should be reshuffled, as it's effectively making every new land card a Pampas, as there's nowhere else to place them. I think that when the cards run out, they're gone.
The rules don't say to reshuffle, so why do it? They shouldn't have to say "don't reshuffle", and there are exactly the right number of land card to tiles, so how would you play these extra cards in the real game, with no tiles to use...
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm just surprised there are games that are getting to the point where this even matters.

So should we interpret it such that the land deck is always equal to the number of land tiles (for custom maps)?
TheCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
So should we interpret it such that the land deck is always equal to the number of land tiles (for custom maps)?

No, I wouldn't do that. The two default boards have 60 spaces to place non-pampas land tiles - 10 of each type. The deck has 10 pampas and 14 each of the other six lands types. It is apparently intentional that there are 4 extra swamps, 4 extra mountains, etc. and only 10 pampas. I have seen a player buy a mountain, intending to play it on the last mountain space on the following turn, only to have a different player place a mountain on that space, converting the purchased mountain into a pampas.

For custom maps, perhaps the designer of the map could specify the card mix? Or perhaps you should always have 28% extra of each non-pampas land card and 12.5% pampas in the mix, as is done in the default deck?
TheCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought is that the mix and number of animal cards should be varied depending on the number of players and/or size of the map. See the specified cards listed for the Feliz Navidad map:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/96156
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced now that the land deck shouldn't be reshuffled. I've made the change on our dev site, so as soon as we figure out how to seamlessly make the change here on the live site we'll put it in place.
jcarvin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: No reshuffling Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to play in the Hacienda finals at the World Boardgaming Championship where we ran out of land cards (we also ran out of water, player chips, and hacienda before running out of animals!). The ruling (which was said to be official) was that cards do not get reshuffled, you play with what you have.

In addition, and I did not know this until that game, when all the spaces of a particular land type have been filled on the board, all remaining cards of that type are treated as pampus cards.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: No reshuffling Reply with quote

That's one more indication to support the change. Now we're almost guaranteed to have a publisher chime in to say that the deck should be reshuffled. Jay, I'm looking at you...
Murwiz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
I guess I'm just surprised there are games that are getting to the point where this even matters.

http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=11488
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:

Land is worth 2-3 points per tile, can be harvested for 3 pesos per tile, and adds 1 peso when animals are brought to market.

Animals are worth 0-1 point per tile and add 1 peso when animals are brought to market.

Both are worth an additional 1 point per tile when adjacent to water.

If there wasn't a limit on land cards, there would be no reason to buy animals - land is almost always the better choice.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCat wrote:
If there wasn't a limit on land cards, there would be no reason to buy animals - land is almost always the better choice.

Perhaps that's so in the hypothetical endgame when all markets connections are made. If there are still possible market connections, animals are a good option; you get money and points with one action.

Additionally, buying animals lets you control the pace of the game. If I'm ahead and I can keep my lead while forcing the end of the game, why would I want to prolong the game indefinitely?
TheCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Perhaps that's so in the hypothetical endgame when all markets connections are made. If there are still possible market connections, animals are a good option; you get money and points with one action.

I dunno, in my experience, it's entirely possible to win many games by focusing on land, haciendas and water. I won my last game with only four market connections, and that's typical. Harvest chips, supplemented by the occassional single/double animal attached to a large land chain, provide plenty of money.

Consider, I could add three land to my existing chain for 3-4 points each, 9-12 points total. Or, I could place one land and two animals to connect to a market for 5-11 points, depending on how many markets I've already connected. The 9-12 points looks like the better choice.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the particular game situation and my view is probably a little biased by tending to favor Variant 1, which I think helps balance the land v. animals issue.
Kanga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you are playing a multiplayer game it's usually not possible to be continuously adding to your landmass(es). Often the key to winning is still having scoring moves left at the end of the game. I have won several games coming from behind purely because my last few moves are still scoring lots of points, while my opponents are not. This has been particularly evident against the style of play that involves grabbing land and water like crazy, and not scoring markets.
TheCat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
It really depends on the particular game situation

Kanga wrote:
Of course, if you are playing a multiplayer game it's usually not possible to be continuously adding to your landmass(es).

We're getting a bit off-topic into strategy and tactics, but the original discussion was in the context of running through the entire land deck and reshuffling it, in which case virtually every land card counts as a pampas and it is possible to contiuously add to your landmasses - which clearly isn't what the designer intended. Take a look at the game linked above -- hardly a single clear pampas hex on the board and outrageously high scores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: