SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trapped in an endless game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One concern I have with ending the game and declaring a winner in such a stalemate scenario is the possibility that achieving that particulr end condition becomes a strategy for some players -- when clearly that was not Kramer's intention; otherwise I think it would be plainly stated as an alternate end condition.

I think I would prefer a stalemate.
mHabes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on a normal map it is entirely possible for both players to run out of money. It would be stupid or intentional, but it is possible. I don't have a problem with it, but it strikes me as weird in a Eurogame.
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case 1: with a winner
Case 2: without a winner

Smile

Ie. if the game is deadlocked where the only valid move any player can make is to pass, the site should detect this and declare the game ended. Whether or not the site should consider anyone a winner of the game is it's own issue.
HappyProle wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
In either case, I do agree that the site should detect the situation and mark the game as over (with or without a winner).

Which two cases are you referring to?

As I see it, there is only one case where you could argue that the game should end with cards left in the animal deck: where none of the players can make any move.
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps I posted the question to the rules forum for the game over at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130049

Maybe the German rules address it (wouldn't be 1st time the English translation was different).

Jeff
spearjr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So one cannot purposefully run out of money? Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
I think that map 023 is broken. Markets are generally what earn you money (and also add a necessary scoring option) and on this map there are only six of them, and on four of those half of the connection spots are inaccessible due to the edge of the board. So you have the equivalent of four markets where you can connect and earn money. That's just not enough.

Baldboy_1 wrote:
4. Take Map 023 off the list.

Map 023 would probably work, if the number of animal cards could be variable on a map by map basis. However, is it worth having them work on modifying the Hacienda code, instead of working on new games? I'd think that new games are more of a priority.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Baldboy_1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm being a bit of a dink here and I apologize. I just want to know how this will be dealt with one way or the other.

My particular game options are:
1) I buy up all the remaining animals and end the game "normally", and lose by a couple points.
2) I use up all my money to buy up as many land cards as possible. This triggers a never-ending game loop, which is either resolved by

i) Normal scoring: I win by a few points; or
ii) Draw decision: I was losing by 24 pts - a draw could be considered a moral victory (I suppose).

Either way, I'm ok with it for this game - but I would like to know how this is going to be dealt with in my game and in future games.
zoldiz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please kill our game no 12818?
Steaky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: <$2.00 warning message Reply with quote

I thought this problem was going to be resolved by a "WARNING: you'll have less than $2.00 if turn is complete. Continue Yes/No" type of message.... this has happened to us once again, only b/c I failed to inform the new player we were teaching of this problem. Is there some way we could get this person to be able to earn some $$? Is there a way to place a harvest or water near her. I am still new to the game, myself, and am still kind of clueless as to how to acquire money and points.

Thanks in advance,
--Steaky
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had my say the solution is simply to either detect that all players have no moves left except to pass... or if that's too had, simply if all players consectively pass, end the game.

The harder part is deciding if after the site ends a deadlocked game, is whether or not winner(s) will be declared (and it goes into their player stats), or if it's considered a draw and no one wins. I personally say winner(s) should still be declared.

Jeff
shizzane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this ever happens all you need to do is harvest.
Or am I missing something?

I've never played that custom map, but if harvesting is possible that would seem to be the solution to any issues of running out of pesos.
Steaky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you harvest if you have no $$? Like I said, I'm still not sure of how this game works so I need all the help I can get!
--Steaky
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a pointer earlier in this discussion to a game that is in the deadlocked situation.

Problem is you can't harvest a land chain that's already been harvested, and it's possible to end up in such a situation. I'm in a game right now where that is the case.. luckily I planned for it, and I have enough cash to buy up the rest of the animals (though both of my opponents can do nothing but pass until the game is over).
shizzane wrote:
If this ever happens all you need to do is harvest.
Or am I missing something?

I've never played that custom map, but if harvesting is possible that would seem to be the solution to any issues of running out of pesos.
shizzane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steaky wrote:
how can you harvest if you have no $$? Like I said, I'm still not sure of how this game works so I need all the help I can get!
--Steaky

Harvesting does not cost any pesos. It is free.
But like JeffyJeff noted, each land chain may only be harvested once.
Steaky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I thought it cost $12.00 like the water and haciendas...
I will tell our player to try it...thanks for the help and if it doesn't work, I'll be back with more questions!
--Steaky
spearjr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steaky wrote:
Oh I thought it cost $12.00 like the water and haciendas...
I will tell our player to try it...thanks for the help and if it doesn't work, I'll be back with more questions!

You are only in one game of Hacienda right now, so I can see which game you are refering to. Red cannot do anything to get more money. They have harvested their only chain and without more animals to get to a market, they are stuck.

It seems to me that everyone in that game is too worried about placing water next to their land and not enough about connecting to different markets. On that map, connecting to all 10 markets is worth 55 points! Those waters are getting you 4-7 points each.

(From a strategy side, you all should be blocking each other more, to prevent the HUGE land chains. And then with more land chains you will have more opportunities to harvest. Instead of just once.)
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: