SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trapped in an endless game
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hirschmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Trapped in an endless game Reply with quote

Help! Playing a 2 person game of Hacienda and both players ran out of pesos, land, and animals. The game is now continuing with each player taking turns at "redo" or "end turn" and no final scoring is taking place.

Any clues?
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your incredible efforts at defying logic and getting a game to this nearly impossible state I've awarded you each two pesos. Spend them wisely.
hirschmeister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: You've saved my sanity! Reply with quote

Thank you!! Those pesos will dfinitely be spent wisely. Thank you for bringing this long game to a close withouth self-inflicted harm or sabatoge to my own computer. :D
zoldiz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have the same problem with my gf.
this game sucks...
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're talking about game 12818. It looks to me like there are some aspects to the game you're not familiar with. I'd give the game another shot before you write it off. I'd even play a teaching game with you if you like; I'd prefer that to having you walk away from a good game because of a bad first experience.
zoldiz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very kind of you, I respect your helpfulness, but my opinion is the same.
If a game can go into an endless cycle, where you can not do absolutely nothing, that game is bad.
Thanks for trying to help me, but this was my first and last play with this Hazienda.
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise you to never play Age of Steam either... you could actually be ejected out of the game if you go bankrupt (but similiar to this game, you can only go bankrupt if you mess up really bad).
zoldiz wrote:
Its very kind of you, I respect your helpfulness, but my opinion is the same.
If a game can go into an endless cycle, where you can not do absolutely nothing, that game is bad.
Thanks for trying to help me, but this was my first and last play with this Hazienda.
Baldboy_1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: So one cannot purposefully run out of money? Reply with quote

That seems a bit odd, don't you think. If one is allowed to run out of money, then shouldn't there be a game ending trigger there as well?

I'm in the last rounds of a game (ID #12650) where I want to use my money to buy as many land cards as possible to score points and my opponent has run out of money (due to my blocking). Buying animals gets me nothing other than closer to the end of the game. I want to delay as much as possible in order to climb out of a hole.

Should the game not end when both players are forced to pass?

I realize this isn't in the official rules but it seems clear to me that it's a deficiency, something that didn't come up in the playtesting.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are playing on a map that isn't an official map. It's far too small for the number of cards that a 2 player game requires. I wouldn't consider it a problem with the game when a custom map causes a problem.
smlait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree. To have earned the win, you should have to manage your money well enough to buy up the remaining animal cards and force the game to end. Otherwise, the game should be considered a draw/stalemate.
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In either case, I do agree that the site should detect the situation and mark the game as over (with or without a winner).
smlait wrote:
I would have to disagree. To have earned the win, you should have to manage your money well enough to buy up the remaining animal cards and force the game to end. Otherwise, the game should be considered a draw/stalemate.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So one cannot purposefully run out of money? Reply with quote

I think that map 023 is broken. Markets are generally what earn you money (and also add a necessary scoring option) and on this map there are only six of them, and on four of those half of the connection spots are inaccessible due to the edge of the board. So you have the equivalent of four markets where you can connect and earn money. That's just not enough.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffyJeff wrote:
In either case, I do agree that the site should detect the situation and mark the game as over (with or without a winner).

Which two cases are you referring to?

As I see it, there is only one case where you could argue that the game should end with cards left in the animal deck: where none of the players can make any move.
Baldboy_1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanMC wrote:
You are playing on a map that isn't an official map. It's far too small for the number of cards that a 2 player game requires. I wouldn't consider it a problem with the game when a custom map causes a problem.

I agree: it's not a "problem". But one has to admit that the rules don't explain what happens in such a case as ours, whether it's in a custom map or otherwise. And the possibility exists in the base game with the rules as written - so there is a rule deficiency. Maybe we're "breaking" the intent of the rules but there is no rule to prevent us from doing so...

Making rule to cover this scenario does not make the game bad or broken. If anything, it would add another strategic element to the game. I personally see this as a good thing.

smlait wrote:

In my opinion, it's worth exploring other alternatives. We've played over 20 rounds in a game and a draw/stalemate game end would be extremely anticlimactic. Yes, your suggestion is likely easiest to implement but I would challenge that it is not the best. What would the designer Kramer do? I doubt he would call the game a draw.

What of the points scored in the 1st round? Or the points scored cumulatively under the scoring variant? Should these be ignored just for the sake of simplicity?

Would it not make sense to use the scores at all to determine a winner?

All I'm asking is for an exploration of the issue...
Baldboy_1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Other ways of resolving the never-ending game draw Reply with quote

1. First person to run out of money (or pass) loses.
2. Total up scores after both players pass consecutively. High score wins.
3. Stalemate.
4. Take Map 023 off the list.

I like option 2 the most as it most similar to the real game. Option 4 is obviously a solution but to be honest, I quite liked the tension the tight map provided. This is the only time I've seen a comeback in a game of Hacienda... So, I'd like the Map to stay but would understand if it were scrapped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: