SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i abandon a game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, if a player (in this case, tylerkai7) is still playing OTHER games, but hasn't made a move in my particular game in weeks, it's fairly obvious that's an abandoned game.

But he isn't playing other games. He hasn't made a move in any of his games for nearly 2 weeks. This isn't a long time, given the holiday season. The other games that you mentioned you have waiting for longer than this are not waiting on this guy. Give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. All his games ground to a halt just under 2 weeks ago (as far as I can tell).
renegade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golux13 wrote:
But I just don't see the necessity to drag the site developers into this with demands that they clean up the abandoned games or delete accounts just because you find them annoying. There are controls in place -- abandoned games automatically dropping off your list, etc. -- so why push for more punitive measures?

Not sure what you thought I said, but let me try again. The site developers have steadily made improvements in how deadbeats are treated. See http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522 where they announced that players who abandon (stop playing in) games, will not be permitted to join any future games. The response to that announcement was very positive. Thus, I say the site developers are "on the right path".

Further, I said "more measures to weed out the deadbeats would be welcomed." If that sounds like a pushy demand to you, then I welcome you to show me what dictionary you live by.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay everyone take a deep breath. There everyone feeling better? Good.

Okay, I think I can speak for all the developers when I say we don't like the abandoned games any more than the next person. We have discussed some ideas to help solve the problem, but no solution will be perfect. Until that point it's not worth worrying about though. The worst thing that happens is you have a game sitting in your list that isn't getting much attention.

There is no reason for anyone to get polarized by this subject. I think we all wish people would play their games at a resonable rate. Some people worry about it more than others. If you don't like getting stung, set games up with friends, if you can handle playing with people that may flake out, great, it takes all kinds.
Scammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
Quote:
I mean, if a player (in this case, tylerkai7) is still playing OTHER games, but hasn't made a move in my particular game in weeks, it's fairly obvious that's an abandoned game.

But he isn't playing other games. He hasn't made a move in any of his games for nearly 2 weeks. This isn't a long time, given the holiday season. The other games that you mentioned you have waiting for longer than this are not waiting on this guy. Give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. All his games ground to a halt just under 2 weeks ago (as far as I can tell).

But he has.

He has 43 current games going. Most of the games (40) are waiting on him (assuming tylerkai7 is a he). Some of his games, he last posted on JULY 6th (nearly a month ago). Some games (like the one of mine), he last posted 2 weeks ago. In some cases, it's been 6 days.

So, it appears that he is a selective player. Abandoning games that he is either losing, or bored with. Who knows.

I'm not trying to single out a single player. I simply a) hate having abandoned games in my cache and b) hate having those abandoned games on my "record" as it were. I'd love to have a quick and simple way to get abandoned games off of my "current games" screen every time I log in.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been the victim of "Dorquetime" (excuse me -- Darquetime), I fully appreciate the side of frustrated people who get slowed up by some narcissitic boob who takes his ball home rather than play. On the contrary, expecting a game to finish quicker then 2 or 3 weeks I believe is highly unrealistic given people playing in various time zones on various continents checking at various times of the day. Personally on option to have someone eliminated (you may take this literally or figuratively) would be nice some days Twisted Evil
TheKeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Mr. Renegade happens to be a personal acquaintence of mine and I often complain to him about my exasperation with a certain player who I will not name (but has been named several times in this thread.) I believe my constant complaints are what led renegade to participation in this thread.

I don't know what the solution is, but it is quite annoying. I will back scammer up on the selective play of this individual. It was quite heartbreaking (I'm going for humorous hyperbole here) when he made a couple moves last week... but then failed to make moves in the other 37 games he was holding up.

Also, this figure of 2-3 weeks being a long game keeps getting knocked back and forth. I don't believe anybody said any such thing. (Or if they did, I believe that this one person was alone in that sentiment.) It's waiting on a single person to take 2-3 weeks to make one turn that is more bothersome. Especially when this person is making moves in other games and not yours.

Lastly, several people have suggested that one should simply forget about such games that appear to be abondonded and join new games. This is not a very comforting suggestion to someone who is dominating their first game of Amun-Re and is hoping to win! I want my victory!!!! (Again with the hyperbole.)
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
Not sure what you thought I said, but let me try again. The site developers have steadily made improvements in how deadbeats are treated. See http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522 where they announced that players who abandon (stop playing in) games, will not be permitted to join any future games. The response to that announcement was very positive. Thus, I say the site developers are "on the right path".

Further, I said "more measures to weed out the deadbeats would be welcomed." If that sounds like a pushy demand to you, then I welcome you to show me what dictionary you live by.

The bit that caught my eye was when you said "...why cater to the deadbeats at the risk of annoying the regular players?" That struck me as a bit pushy. But my comment was aimed more at everyone who has posted to complain about an abandoned game and asked, cajoled, wheedled, begged or demanded -- whatever word you prefer -- that the sit ops remove the game. As if having an inactive game in their games list is some great burden that the site ops must remove or else... or else the complainer will pick up his ball and go home, I guess.
mrbass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep a list of players you'll never play again with. For example I used to play Settlers of Catan regularly with a program called Sea3D and her is my list of banned players I refuse to ever play with for one reason or another.

Banned Players Sea3D

thaiboy
redcats
saldas
xiluvf4x
dsfdf0
macho john
kalesinCZ
Snee
Rodrgo Azevedo
morrie
djbarrie
TheKeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else mentioned not playing with offending parties in the future, as well. Only problem is, people are free to join a game after you are already in it. Smile
freduk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scammer wrote:
freduk wrote:
Quote:

But he has.

He has 43 current games going. Most of the games (40) are waiting on him (assuming tylerkai7 is a he). Some of his games, he last posted on JULY 6th (nearly a month ago). Some games (like the one of mine), he last posted 2 weeks ago. In some cases, it's been 6 days.

So, it appears that he is a selective player. Abandoning games that he is either losing, or bored with. Who knows.

I'm not trying to single out a single player. I simply a) hate having abandoned games in my cache and b) hate having those abandoned games on my "record" as it were. I'd love to have a quick and simple way to get abandoned games off of my "current games" screen every time I log in.

Actually he has 47 games going Wink and 45 are waiting for him.
I don't know the guy, but in his absence I will say that things aren't necessarily as black as has been made out.
Of those games that are waiting for him, the 2 that are waiting since early July are his 2 Reef games, where he hasn't played a single move. I can't defend him here.
However, on 19th July he made a move in every game that was waiting for him, 29 of them. Since that date he has logged in once (on the 26th) to make a single move in a single game - perhaps he was strapped for time. He didn't even bother to chat, which seems unlike him. I suspect that we'll see him back soon and he'll catch up on all his games. Anyone who takes his turn in 29 games on one day doesn't seem like a quitter to me (apart from in Reef). Give the guy a chance, and some time.
TheKeck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
Scammer wrote:
freduk wrote:
Quote:

But he has.

Actually he has 47 games going Wink and 45 are waiting for him.
I don't know the guy, but in his absence I will say that things aren't necessarily as black as has been made out.
Of those games that are waiting for him, the 2 that are waiting since early July are his 2 Reef games, where he hasn't played a single move. I can't defend him here.
However, on 19th July he made a move in every game that was waiting for him, 29 of them. Since that date he has logged in once (on the 26th) to make a single move in a single game - perhaps he was strapped for time. He didn't even bother to chat, which seems unlike him. I suspect that we'll see him back soon and he'll catch up on all his games. Anyone who takes his turn in 29 games on one day doesn't seem like a quitter to me (apart from in Reef). Give the guy a chance, and some time.

Actually, he made one move on the 21st, one move on the 24th, and two moves on the 26th. Razz

I'm just griping, though. I feel pretty confident that he'll get back around to playing eventually. It's just annoying in the meantime. Oh well.
mastapoohba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Wow thanks for all the posts Reply with quote

I didnt mean this thread to be such a sore point for some people. I had created a tikal game with a coworker(2 player) and we both decided to not play it but it keeps showing up in my list of games. Thanks for the answer (2 months) i guess i just have to be patient. I hope no one considers me to be a slow player. I play fairly quickly but if i have a 3-4 day camping trip I usually don't flag the vacation thing. am i supposed to?
Maeglor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note to agree with the developers and some other people, like Golux.
This is NOT a big issue for me. I can stand 2 or 3 red stopped games. Don't spend more time to get rid of that than what you're spending at the moment.

Hey, I'm selfish. I prefer you focus on developing more games. Razz
freduk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, he made one move on the 21st, one move on the 24th, and two moves on the 26th. Razz

Are you absolutely sure of this... Please say which games these are, as I checked the log pretty thoroughly.
are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with some of the auto-moves the game does that you can book in advance? (eg, selling a power card for gold)
TheKeck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
Quote:

Are you absolutely sure of this... Please say which games these are, as I checked the log pretty thoroughly.
are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with some of the auto-moves the game does that you can book in advance? (eg, selling a power card for gold)

You make a good point. I may have been mistaken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: