SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i abandon a game?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastapoohba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: How do i abandon a game? Reply with quote

How do i abandon a game?
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean you are in a game that you just want to quit, you can't.

If you mean you are in a game that has stopped progressing due to other players, just wait it will get abandoned in due time.
renegade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps mastapoohba is too polite to say it, but he appears to be one of many of tylerkai7's victims. Sadly for him, mastapoohba is in 4 of the 40+ games currently stalled out due to tylerkai7's lack of participation.

Click here to see what I am talking about:
http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2428&g=A&d=cur

Unfortunately for him, tylerkai7 somehow thought SBW was a chatroom for picking up chicks. Now that he knows otherwise, his interest in SBW seems to have waned.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's the fun of play by web. Not a lot that can be done about it at this point, hopefully in the future.
mrbass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything wrong...he just hasn't taken a turn in 5.7 days. He has completed 24 games so I seriously doubt he plans on abandoning them. That's why you give it 3 months or so before abandoning the game. Granted he should have put himself 'away' but family emergencies, etc. do happen so you never know for sure.
Scammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
I don't think there is anything wrong...he just hasn't taken a turn in 5.7 days. He has completed 24 games so I seriously doubt he plans on abandoning them. That's why you give it 3 months or so before abandoning the game. Granted he should have put himself 'away' but family emergencies, etc. do happen so you never know for sure.

Well then, he's being selective with his gaming. He abandoned a Amun-Re game that I'm in back on the 19th of July. So, if he's been active, he's being selective in the games that he wants to participate in. Which sucks, but explains why so many games are password only. You get to pick/choose your opponenets and not get stuck with the tylerkai7's of the world.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stargate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with --- mrbass
I think the user will be back.
The user may not have seen or understood the "Going Away ?" link
I know I have to tell users that have returned to go back and change
their status, I belive they think it's automatic.
With over 400 complete games --- I have only three abandoned games
and two more that will become abandoned, most abandoned games
are by new users who are gone within a week.
Note -- I start a lot of games without passwords and should be a
magnet for quitters --- but I am not
Scammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanMC wrote:

If you mean you are in a game that has stopped progressing due to other players, just wait it will get abandoned in due time.

Any idea in what "due time" is? I've got games that are closing in on 2 months old without them going to the abandoned pile.

Amun-Re Game #8582 (waiting on tylerkai7 since 7/19)
Amun-Re Game #7296 (waiting on Waruler since 7/5)
Wallenstein Game #8419 (waiting on bacusgod since 7/21)
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scammer wrote:
RyanMC wrote:

Any idea in what "due time" is? I've got games that are closing in on 2 months old without them going to the abandoned pile.

Um its been two months since 7/19? 7/5? or 7/21?
mrbass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3 or 4 months the game starts getting stale. Honestly it's no biggie. If you are so anxious to make a move join another game to play in. The biggest magnet to attract quitters is posting "faster moves only", etc. Everyone has their own time schedule. I think I remember reading..ok found it

posted by Melissa of http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/
May 26th...the bold part I emphasis.

Quote:
At spielbyweb, I have tried Amun-Re, Tikal and Reef Encounter, all new games to me. Of these, I think my favourite was probably Tikal (hence the gingerbread). Reef Encounter left me feeling faintly confused (or possibly faint and confused) - I think I need to study the rules, although from what I hear that might just make it worse. Amun-Re, though, didn't work for me as a Play-by-Web. There are so many player actions, so many occasions where you might have to take ANOTHER action, that it just goes on and on - I think my games ran around 2 to 3 weeks. Maybe it was our playing style, but once there was a string of 2 or 3 contested bids for provinces the game really dragged out. And having people in different timezones didn't help with that at all - two or three actions meant anwyhere from two to four days.

As others have said, the best PbW games are games where a player takes a discrete turn and then the next player takes a discrete turn - games with minimal player interaction.

Unfortunately there are some games that drag on and on like that and it only takes 1 person to drag it. Luckily this never phases me as I join a ton of games with some finishing in a week while others take like she said 2 to 3 weeks.

Initially it's frustrating for new users as they have to decide whether they like playing a paticular game or not and one bad experience might leave an ever so bad taste in their mouth and they'll never return.
Scammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanMC wrote:
Scammer wrote:
RyanMC wrote:

Um its been two months since 7/19? 7/5? or 7/21?

My bad, the Wallenstein game has been dormant since JUNE 21st (6/21) and the Amun-Re game #7296 has been dormant since JUNE 5th (6/5). So the "closing in on 2 months" referred to the Amun-Re game. tylerkai7 has, indeed not logged onto that Amun-Re game, since JULY 19th (so it's only 2 weels old).

My apologies.

Fat fingers Very Happy
renegade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stargate wrote:
I agree with --- mrbass
I think the user will be back.
The user may not have seen or understood the "Going Away ?" link
I know I have to tell users that have returned to go back and change
their status, I belive they think it's automatic.

I hope you are right. But how many people who have 47 games going, only actively participate in 2 or 3 of them? To me that suggests, as Scammer stated, that tylerkai7 has no intention of cleaning up the mess he has left behind. His interest level in a game seems directly proportional to the number of women who will chat with him.

The recommended solution here seems to be "forget about the deadbeats" and join a bunch more games. That may work for some but a few of us really prefer quality over quantity.

There is so much to like about this site, why cater to the deadbeats at the risk of annoying the regular players? So far, has anyone objected to the measures to publish average turn times, actively cleaning out abandoned games, deleting accounts of those that abandon games, etc.? This should tell you that you are on the right path and more measures to weed out the deadbeats would be welcomed.
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
There is so much to like about this site, why cater to the deadbeats at the risk of annoying the regular players? So far, has anyone objected to the measures to publish average turn times, actively cleaning out abandoned games, deleting accounts of those that abandon games, etc.? This should tell you that you are on the right path and more measures to weed out the deadbeats would be welcomed.

I have seen this debate pop up several times since I started here (back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth), and I still don't understand it.

OK, yes, it is annoying to have a game drag to a halt because one of the players stops playing (with or without good reason). And yes, it is a bit of a crap shoot when you are joining a game if you don't know all the players. But seriously, if a game stalls out, how hard is it to just start a different game? How difficult is it to remember not to play with "Joe Slowpoke" in the future? And what is the big deal about stalled games staying in your game list?

If this is such a huge problem for you, then make the decision to play only in passworded games with people you know. But I just don't see the necessity to drag the site developers into this with demands that they clean up the abandoned games or delete accounts just because you find them annoying. There are controls in place -- abandoned games automatically dropping off your list, etc. -- so why push for more punitive measures?

Remember too, it is often difficult to distinguish between a deadbeat and a guy who ran into some time problems.

Final note: There is obviously some difference in what people expect from a PBW game, in terms of timing. Melissa at BGG (and mrbass, who quotes her approvingly) seem to think that if a game takes 2-3 weeks, that is unacceptably long and "dragged out." For me, 2-3 weeks is a decent pace for a game, given how busy I am in offline life. I don't mind a game going faster than that, but I am not upset if a game takes even up to a month.
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Golux here. People go on holiday and forget to post the flag, or maybe Real Life gets in the way. Just be patient and play your other games until either the absentee comes back, or the game vanishes in due course.
If you really can't wait until it's your turn, then play on BSW in real time.
(I hope I'm allowed to mention that site Wink )
Scammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand the sentiments expressed. Personally, I hate seeing those "abandoned" games that still show up on my active list, months after they have obviously been abandoned.

I mean, if a player (in this case, tylerkai7) is still playing OTHER games, but hasn't made a move in my particular game in weeks, it's fairly obvious that's an abandoned game.

I'd just be happy if it was no longer in my 'waiting games' list, that's all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: