SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End-to-end Worker Movement available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK --- I just did a quick survey of Tikal games since game number 8965
we have 98 games with end-to-end worker movement and
we have 40 games the old way --
these numbers are from both the current and complete game lists

so it's time to make end-to-end worker movement the default
method of movement in Tikal games

and make "painful, slow and tedious clicking" the option

it's just a thought
freduk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not !
First, the default should be the way the game is played 'live'.
Secondly, have you thought that the reason so many games use the new variant is because people are trying it out, not necessarily because they know they prefer it.
kwojtasz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: excellent idea! Reply with quote

Definitely speeds up the play! Nice job!
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
Absolutely not !
First, the default should be the way the game is played 'live'.
Secondly, have you thought that the reason so many games use the new variant is because people are trying it out, not necessarily because they know they prefer it.

Having said that though, are you ever going to play this as a single move variant again?
I'm not, it's much better using end to end.
TheCat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
the default should be the way the game is played 'live'.

I and my friends play live often. We never, ever pick up pieces and count stones one hex at a time. We never, ever pick up pieces and touch each of the hexes through which they pass. We quite often pick up a worker, move it to the destination hex, and say "that's four points, six to go."

So, yes, you're absolutely right, the default should be the way the game is played 'live' -- with end-to-end worker movement.
freduk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a version of the board game that works out the best path for you ? I don't.
You may not physically dink each worker down on a tile as you pass, but you do dink it mentally. So yes, keep the default to the way the game is played live - working out optimum routes yourself.
There is scope for making errors, particularly when using (or forgetting to use) the base camps to teleport. This is part of the game.
Perhaps you would prefer a variant where the computer works out your best move for you to maximise your points?
Bonedigger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with freduk on this one. The default game really should be the original version of the game.

The new End to End movement feature is no more than a great online variant of it, which speeds the game up and makes it easier for players to find the cheapest route.

Ask yourself what does End to End movement actually bring to the game other than speed in taking your turn???

IMO, it eliminates human error in worker movement. If you played this game "live" (face to face) then you know the value of watching your opponents make a mistake in choosing a more expensive path to complete a workers' movement, then watching them look for that extra action point to discover a treasure. It always brought a smile to my face when that happened.

I like the speed this variant brings to the game, so I'll continue to play it along with the original version. The version I really want to see implemented though is the Auction variant, as this will eliminate luck when drawing a tile, then only the best strategists/tacticians in a given game will win.
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneDigger wrote:

IMO, it eliminates human error in worker movement. If you played this game "live" (face to face) then you know the value of watching your opponents make a mistake in choosing a more expensive path to complete a workers' movement, then watching them look for that extra action point to discover a treasure. It always brought a smile to my face when that happened.

Different blokes, different strokes and all that, but if I was playing face to face, and someone made a mistake like that, I'd point it out. I want to win the game by being best, not win the game by playing someone that makes a mistake.

I lost a game of Fearsome Floors once, by showing someone how they could get me killed, morally, we all knew I'd won, but it made me feel better knowing that I hadn't won due to their mistake.

Mike
freduk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to win the game by being best, not win the game by playing someone that makes a mistake.

It's often the mistakes (or lack of them) that make a better player. I would also point out mistakes like this in a teaching game, asthat's only fair. However, in a more experienced game, I'd wait until my turn before pointing out the mistake Twisted Evil
markmist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting discussion. Personally, I didn't see a drastic change in my gameplay when I first tried the end-to-end worker movement, other than I kept forgetting to use it and just moved hex by hex anyways!

It is true that end-to-end movement can reduce newbie mistakes, but I don't think it helps to the point where suddenly a newbie will play so much better that he can beat a veteran because of it.

Finding the optimal route to move 1 worker is actually a very very small percentage of strategy in Tikal and a very elementary one anyways. I mean, anyone can figure out within a few games that it is better to move a worker through hexes with fewer stones than ones that have more stones if both routes go to the same location.

End-to-End worker movement does nothing for telling a player where to move their workers, which workers to move, when and where to place camps, when and where to place workers, when and where to upgrade a temple, when to dig for or trade treasure, etc.

The only minor strategic thing it does (which was mentioned before) is allow someone to see that they can move their worker from camp to camp when they might not have seen it. I am not sure that this is that big of deal.

Having said all that, the time savings with end-to-end worker movement is minimal - although it is enough that it is my preferred method.

What would really result in a time savings would be an option to move multiple workers from one hex to another hex at the same time (which actually mirrors real-life play - if someone is going to move multiple workers at the same time, he likely won't pickup one and move it and then pick up another and move it, but will move both at the same time).
TheCat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

striking_cobra wrote:
Different blokes, different strokes and all that, but if I was playing face to face, and someone made a mistake like that, I'd point it out. I want to win the game by being best, not win the game by playing someone that makes a mistake.

Exactly. I want to win because my strategy and tactics were better than my opponents' strategy and tactics. Moving workers is very, very, very low on the skill level -- my seven year old daughter can figure out the best path every single time. If figuring out the best movement path is difficult for my opponent, they aren't a very good opponent in the first place.
TheCat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
Perhaps you would prefer a variant where the computer works out your best move for you to maximise your points?

Slippery slopes don't win arguments. Here's the obverse of yours:

"Perhaps you would prefer a variant where the computer doesn't count your score for you after the volcano appears?"
Bonedigger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCat wrote:
striking_cobra wrote:

Exactly. I want to win because my strategy and tactics were better than my opponents' strategy and tactics. Moving workers is very, very, very low on the skill level -- my seven year old daughter can figure out the best path every single time. If figuring out the best movement path is difficult for my opponent, they aren't a very good opponent in the first place.

You guys are missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter how easy or difficult it is to figure out the cheapest possible route for a worker to move. The point is in this particular version of the game, you aren't capable of making a calculation cost error of worker movement.

I have a fairly decent win/loss record in Tikal, and I do still make mistakes every now and then. Sometimes I hurry to take my turns because I'd be late for work if I took my time, sometimes I'm just too tired of a night to give each and every game I play 100% concentration, therefore I'm more prone to making a mistake.

markmist wrote:
The only minor strategic thing it does (which was mentioned before) is allow someone to see that they can move their worker from camp to camp when they might not have seen it. I am not sure that this is that big of deal.

This is the biggest deal of all. One action point can make the difference between winning and losing a game.

Tikal is intended to be played in one of 2 ways, the original way and the auction variant. Neither of those 2 ways automate worker movement costs.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if only there was a way to choose which way you preferred to play the game we wouldn't have anything left to argue about...

Or not.
TheCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneDigger wrote:
You guys are missing the point entirely.

You're totally wrong. I do understand, completely. I'm not missing the point entirely.

BoneDigger wrote:
It doesn't matter how easy or difficult it is to figure out the cheapest possible route for a worker to move. The point is in this particular version of the game, you aren't capable of making a calculation cost error of worker movement.

You think it's important that people be able to make a calculation cost error of worker movement.

I do not think that this is important at all.

I think it's as important as the possibility of making a calculation error in scoring.

In fact, I think forcing someone to calculate movement costs and score are both so trivial as to be annoying. I think that counting worker movement and score manually are both tedious, mindless work that in no way enhances the game, that it requires no particular skill, and that if I see someone miscount their movement cost or score, I will be a good sport and point it out, and be glad when they do the same for me.

Fortunately, as Happy Prole says, we can choose which way we'd like to play. That way, you can play games with people who want to count worker movement manually. Meanwhile, I can play games with people who don't want to count worker movement manually. Thus, we never have to play the game with each other, and life goes on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: