SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Im still not understanding water tile scoring.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyshoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Im still not understanding water tile scoring..... Reply with quote

This is the stated rule on scoring for water tiles

"Points for water tiles. Each water tile on the board is scored one at a time. For each land and/or animal tile which borders a water panel tile, the owner scores 1 point, whether the water tile was on the board at the start of the game or has been added later. It doesn't matter which player placed the water tile. "

Reading that my understanding is that it is the "water tile" that is scoring, not the animal or land. If that is true, animals and lands should be able to score multiple times if they are touching multiple water sources. But Im not seeing that in the scoring. It seems to only score a given land or animal once. Case in point, my last game finished. http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=98528.

My 2nd half water score was 22 points. But my understanding of the rule it should be 27 points.

Do i not understand the scoring correctly or is the water tile scoring constantly buggy?
tripitaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see it as 22 greyshoe.

7 for the 2 water tile at -4,14.
1 for the water tile at -3,11
3 for the water at -3,18
6 for 3 water at 6,12 and
5 for the 2 water at 7,9

= 22

where are you seeing the other 5 points?
greyshoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules dont say each animal/land is scored one at a time. it says "each water tile on the board is scored one at time". therefor you should score x times for each water tile you have a land/animal touching. This results in animals/lands being counted more than once if they are touching more than one water tile.

Ive gone over that rule over and over and i just seems that is precisely what it is saying.

If the intention is that each animal or land can only score once, it certainly isnt worded that way.
greyshoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the way ive seen people say to keep track of which water tiles have already scored by "turning over each water tile as you score it" would result in animals/lands scoring more than once if they touched more than one water tile.

From how the programming is adding (and how you added) i can understand where your coming up with that total. And if that is the correct way its done, thats what im trying to be sure on. Ive just been figuring it up wrong this whole time as thats not what the rule says. Shocked
tripitaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, now i see what you are saying ... but unfortunately that is no how it works. i have never interpreted the rules that way but i can see how you could.

So each water is scored one at a time and the number of points associated with the water is how many animals/land touches it.

Of course if an animal or land touches several waters then they will be counted more than once. But only because you are scoring for the water tiles one at a time.
greyshoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well Im glad at least that is clarified. The water tile scoring has been baffling me this whole time. I dont know how/why this issue hasnt been brought up before. I can understand common sense would dictate that each animal or land scores once but the stated rules certainly do not read that way.

-thank you
greyshoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At risk of muddying the waters further, there is a thread with this exact question on boardgamegeek and they seem to be of the opinion that yes, animals and lands can score more than once if touching more than one water tile. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/168451/water-tile-scoring-tile-touches-two-water-tiles
reo19uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey grey

soz took me a while to work out what u meant here! basically u score once for each water not for each section of that water piece so where u have an animal touching 2 parts of the same water it is still only 1 point!

If you need any further help on this let me know and ill try and explain better than I think I may just have done lol
reo19uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyshoe wrote:
At risk of muddying the waters further, there is a thread with this exact question on boardgamegeek and they seem to be of the opinion that yes, animals and lands can score more than once if touching more than one water tile. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/168451/water-tile-scoring-tile-touches-two-water-tiles

Yeah thats right but a water tile is the whole water tile not each section of that tile! so if a water tile you place is 3 sections long then you get 1 point for each land or animal that touches the whole thing not each section of it

Last edited by reo19uk on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
greyshoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaah, that makes sense Reo. So an animal/land can score more than once as long as its different water tiles they are touching. (I was doing exactly what you said and considering each hex its own water tile instead of counting the whole piece as one tile).

-thank you very much for clearing that up Very Happy
reo19uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyshoe wrote:
aaaaaah, that makes sense Reo. So an animal/land can score more than once as long as its different water tiles they are touching. (I was doing exactly what you said and considering each hex its own water tile instead of counting the whole piece as one tile).

-thank you very much for clearing that up Very Happy

Yeah I think sometimes the wording can be confusing in the rules unless it gets broken down but yeah basically u can score once for each tiles not section so if an animal was touching 1 tiles it wud score 1 point, if it was touching 2 tiles it wud score 2 points but if touching 2 sections of only 1 tile it is just 1 point
Total_Twit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that confused me the first time I played was that the wording views it from the water's perspective so you start adding up point per space of the water block - and quite often one animal touches two different part of the same water, so you think it may score two points but actually a water only counts the total of different animals/ land it touches so one animal cannot score two points for the same water space. The animal can however touch a different water space and score another point for that one, twit
greyshoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats exactly what was tripping me up. Since it makes the water the priority instead of the animal/land its confusing. My having never played this in person and only online, also may have caused my difficulty. Had i played it in person, i may have naturally assumed that a water tile was actually the entire piece (whether it be 1,2 or 3 hex tile) but playing only online and seeing everything as individual hexes, i got tripped up on that. Therefor I was counting a water tile as 1 water hex space, regardless of that actual size of the piece.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone who has helped me learn and understand this game. Its been very enjoyable.
dragonzero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap football shirt.
www.cafeloren.com/jys/X9gw/index.asp
www.aolcheapjersey.com
moja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But my understanding of the rule it should be 27 points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: