SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmers...thanks!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwarrend

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Farmers...thanks! Reply with quote

Hey, now we can see how many farmers are in the cup! That's great, thanks for adding that.

But, if I might make one more request...it would be great to be able to see how many are in the supply, as well. Or, at the very least, how many fell out in the initial seeding.

Thanks again, this is a fantastic interface!

-Jeff
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not just that you can see how many are in the cup, it's that they stay in the cup (when they should). I had missed that in the rules (discarding all farmers when they fall out, even when they weren't involved), until someone pointed it out.

I'm not certain about presenting the initial seeding information -- I personally think it might be better to not know exactly what's in the tower initially. Maybe I'll make it a game-specific option?
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Llama

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's public knowledge. In fact, I would like to see an option for knowing exaclt how many are in the tower as, again, it's public knowledge.

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com
lotsa blots

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: both how many farmers are in the Tower and how many of each player's cubes remain in the Tower is definitely public knowledge at start, and in every face to face game I've played, determined and announced to all. Frequently in face to face, keeping exact track falls by the wayside, but one of the great benefits of computers is to keep track of time consuming details effortlessly. I am a definite advocate of 'publishing' updated counts of both Tower and Cup content throughout the game.

Lotsa Blots
rhagmaier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Farmers Reply with quote

I think that as long as the players know what is in the supply, they can do it themselves. Players who take the time to determine the tower contents on their own will be rewarded.
TheCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmers Reply with quote

rhagmaier wrote:
I think that as long as the players know what is in the supply, they can do it themselves. Players who take the time to determine the tower contents on their own will be rewarded.

First, we don't know how many farmers are in supply, so already this doesn't work.

Second, by this logic, most of the conveniences of the computer game should be eliminated. After all, why provide a map? Players can figure out where everything is from the game log, right?
theoneweasel77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
by this logic, most of the conveniences of the computer game should be eliminated. After all, why provide a map? Players can figure out where everything is from the game log, right?
the extreme case is an interesting argument, but unfortunately doesn't really apply here. I could go either way, but that parallel is a stretch.
TheCat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoneweasel77 wrote:
the extreme case is an interesting argument, but unfortunately doesn't really apply here. I could go either way, but that parallel is a stretch.

Actually, it does apply. The argument against providing the information is basically:

"Players can count it and track it without the help of the computer."

If, in fact, this is a valid argument, it should be applicable to the other parts of the game as well. I've shown one case where it is clearly absurd to apply it to another part of the game.

Basically, it boils down to this:

The information can be obtained by work on the players' part.

Providing the information is a convenience to the players

Not providing the information is an inconvenience to the players.

So, do you want the design of the web system to be convenient or inconvenient?
lotsa blots

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with The Cat's logic.

It's an extreme case, granted, but it illustrates the principle.

Why make any aspect of the game more convenient, when, with effort, the player could work it out for themselves? and if you're going to make one aspect convenient, for example, providing a map versus making player draw their own, which players could do, but it would be inconvenient, why not make another aspect like providing farmer counts convenient as well?
steve.leach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is public knowledge in the face to face game. Its not like people who play the actual game are doing all this figuring to determine the number of green cubes in the tower.

Knowing the number of green cubes in the tower as well as the number of your cubes in the tower makes spring combat actions a lot easier to think about.

It is a feature of the game of Wallenstein that everyone knows how many cubes of each color are in the tower after the seeding. It should be a feature here as well.
csibadajoz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resuming: you can use the computer to take track of the public information or you can use an abacus to do the same.

Well. if the computer does the hard work by me, it doesn't matter to my.
Mistrales

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryLi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for information
Feedmark346

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmers...thanks! Reply with quote

[quote="jwarrend"]Hey, now we can see how many farmers are in the cup! That's great, thanks for adding that.

But, if I might make one more request...it would be great to be able to see how many are in the supply, as well. Or, at the very least, how many fell out in the initial seeding.

Thanks again, this is a fantastic interface!

-Jeff.
Hi all. I have the same opinion how Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: