SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion: calculate points scored for turn
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shugyosha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Suggestion: calculate points scored for turn Reply with quote

As an idea, it would be nice if in a scoring round, the number of points you will score would be displayed somewhere.

2 benefits:

1. See how many points you score (versus other combinations if you have the time to use on it).

2. avoid silly mistakes, like you thought you won that temple but in fact the other guy had his big worker there so you lost.

And before you ask, it was the latter that prompted me to suggest it here. Smile
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been suggested before and is on our to-do list.

I think what we will do is add your potential score for the round to the end-turn message: "You've used all your action points and you will score X points this round. Do you wish to end your turn or undo... "
rix_cz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I donīt think it is good idea. You should know better on your own what do you want to do and what benefits you will get. Do not computer to calculate possible score. In the end it could be like to play against computer.

I like that game to play in real and the power of Tikal is that you can win if you do the best on your own.
TheCat

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rix_cz wrote:
Hi, I donīt think it is good idea. You should know better on your own what do you want to do and what benefits you will get. Do not computer to calculate possible score. In the end it could be like to play against computer.

I like that game to play in real and the power of Tikal is that you can win if you do the best on your own.

Having the computer tally the current score doesn't help you to decide what to do at all. It just does a numeric calculation that anyone could do with pencil and paper. It doesn't tell you, for example, "you could move that worker to that hex and capture that temple." It just tells you the current status of the board. With the proposed enhancement, the game is still real and each play can win, or not win, based on doing the best on their own, just as they can now.

It's not like playing against a computer at all -- you're still doing your best to play against other people, each of whom already can presumably count up how many points they would get at the end of the turn.
fr33py

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but part of the game is capitalizing on your oponents mistakes. Why should they have a handy tool telling them how many points they will earn if the turn ended? Is there a handy little tool that tells you that in the real game? Let each player count up his points and if he makes a mistake because he tought he had control of a temple but really doesn't then that allows for a more competent player to take advantage and win.
TheCat

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fr33py wrote:
Yes but part of the game is capitalizing on your oponents mistakes. Why should they have a handy tool telling them how many points they will earn if the turn ended? Is there a handy little tool that tells you that in the real game? Let each player count up his points and if he makes a mistake because he tought he had control of a temple but really doesn't then that allows for a more competent player to take advantage and win.

Oh, please.

Are you really claiming that the difference between a competent player and an incompetent player is the ability to know if you've got control of a temple?
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, what is much harder than tracking your own points in a scoring round is determining exactly what your opponents' scoring will be. Something that I can't do in a live game is make my conclusions about how my opponents will score and then try various scenarios to see which one will maximize my score (or maximize my swing versus my opponents, which is not necessarily the same thing). Here I can do that; the only question is whether or not the interface should simplify the process by telling me for each scenario what my score will be. Since the situation is not analogous to a live game situation (except for those few people who can run through multiple scenarios in their heads fast enough to keep their opponents from being pissed off), I don't think it makes any sense to make the decision based on what would or wouldn't happen in a live game.

The interface is an administrative tool that smooths the operation of the game. In a live game, there is nobody tracking your score and making sure you count correctly; here the interface does that. In a live game, it is possible to make a mistake and use too many AP, and have your opponents miss it; here the interface makes that impossible. In that light, I see nothing wrong with adding a feature to the interface that tells you an accurate count for your scoring round before you confirm that you are done.
Onceler

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not BOTH, add the score tracker as an option that the game creator can implement or not.

I prefer Tikal as is, but appreciate that others may want the aid. If I can create my game the way I like it, and let other create the game they want, then we are both happy.
gische

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd prefer a counter that told you how many points you controlled at any given time. If it can't be a running count during the turn, than perhaps just the beginnning and end of turn. When I'm looking to maximize points on scoring rounds, I run through various scenarios in my head, and I find myself wasting a ton of time counting and recounting the current state. Yes, I could just write it down. But if it's easy to implement, why not do it?

I don't really see the argument that this reduces the skill of the game at all. It just reduces the time it takes for a player to make their turn. Which should lead to faster games. Which I believe is a goal that we can all appreciate.
rix_cz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes better is not the best. Smile
rix_cz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway... isnīt it nice to calculate it on your own with pencil and piece of paper? I think that web tikal in question of scoring is allright now and it doesnīt need to be changed.
TheCat

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rix_cz wrote:
Anyway... isnīt it nice to calculate it on your own with pencil and piece of paper?

I think most people, definitely including me, would answer this question with a resounding "no".
rix_cz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCat wrote:
rix_cz wrote:
Anyway... isnīt it nice to calculate it on your own with pencil and piece of paper?

I think most people, definitely including me, would answer this question with a resounding "no".

It was just example of course... to use pencil

your head is enough you need for good game Smile Because if computer will do calculation of your scoring turn in the future it will look like:
To use your ten action points then calculate score and undo turn and try to move in a different way and then to try again and again and again. In this moment Tikal isnīt strategical and tactikal game any more.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rix_cz wrote:
Because if computer will do calculation of your scoring turn in the future it will look like:
To use your ten action points then calculate score and undo turn and try to move in a different way and then to try again and again and again. In this moment Tikal isnīt strategical and tactikal game any more.

I disagree entirely, 100%, totally, completely. imho, adding a simple score tally to the system removes none of the strategy and removes none of the tactics.

Again, by this logic, the web site shouldn't even show us the scores at all - we ought to be able to keep those in our heads as well. And it shouldn't show us the other player's workers - surely the game would be more strategic and tactical if we had to remember where our opponents have moved their workers.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. You believe that counting points in your head is strategy and tactics. I don't. Life goes on.
rix_cz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
You believe that counting points in your head is strategy and tactics. I don't. Life goes on.

Strategy and tactics isnīt just to count points in head of course. But it is a part of that game. What I want to say is that will to make Tikal easier then it is in real could make it not so interesting.
Stupid question Smile : Did you ever played Tikal in real?

I understand that you want to make Tikal faster.

What could be really good to change in WEB version of Tikal is to add opportunity to play professinal version of TIKAL by WEB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: