SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic Game or Auction for Tiles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Basic Game or Auction for Tiles Reply with quote

I have the Tikal board game but haven't played it yet. Does the SpielByWeb system use the basic rules or an auction for the tiles?

Is there a way that I can start a game and see what the interface looks like?

Also, what about joining games. If a game is password protected, how do you ask if you can join?

Thanks in advance for helping a new Tikal player.
Golux13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game as currently implemented uses the basic Draw-a-Tile mechanic. There is some discussion of trying to implement the auction, but so far I don't think the Powers That Be on SBW have figured out how best to do it.

As for joining a game, don't worry about the passwords. Start up a no-password game yourself, title it "Learning Game" or "Tikal Virgin" or something like that, and people will join you. You may get crushed the first time you play, but most people will respect your rookie status and be willing to answer questions.

When you are more comfortable with the game and the gameplay, and if you think you will be able to check in frequently, there is a standard frequent-player password, "speedy," and you will sometimes find games that say to use that.

Good luck and have fun!
Duda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auction for tile, sure. It's very, very better, eliminating almost all luck factor of the game and makes it much more strategic.

I'm expecting this variant in spielbyweb as soon as possible! Smile
fteplin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic Game or Auction for Tiles Reply with quote

hans wrote:

Is there a way that I can start a game and see what the interface looks like?

You can also look at the interface of the game by going to "Current Games" and looking at others' games.
TheCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duda wrote:
Auction for tile, sure. It's very, very better, eliminating almost all luck factor of the game and makes it much more strategic.

I'm expecting this variant in spielbyweb as soon as possible! Smile

I'm hoping so too! Auction is better in nearly every way.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planning on adding the auction.

I used to enjoy it a lot more than the nonauction version, but as I have gotten more familiar with the game I think its not as big a difference as I once thought. Either way its planned for the future.

We are finishing up Hacienda right now, then the auction will probably get worked on at that point. The auction has some serious drawbacks in the pbw format(the reason we didn't do it initially) as it will add a huge number of turns to the game. It won't be bad in a 2 player, but in a 4 player it will add a minimum of 100 turns to the game, and the possibility of way more than that. We will see how many people play it once they see how long it drags their games out.
TheCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea! Auction!

Yea! Hacienda.

Happy happy joy joy.
Mabi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about Tikal auction, but I'm eagerly waiting for Hacienda. Which map did you implement? Did you consider the possibility to add different maps in future?
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big part of what attracted us to Hacienda was the possibility to play on different maps. The first thing we implemented was a way to upload maps created using the Westpark Gamer's map-generator program referenced in the Hacienda game rules.

There will be a map browser that lets you look at thumbnails of uploaded maps along with basic stats (counts for each land type, play counts, etc.) and of course create a game using any available map.
Mabi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myke, that's really great news! I think it will add immensely to the game replayability (which is important here, where you can play hundreds of games Smile).
JimPAX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: A reasonable suggestion Reply with quote

I know that this isn't how the auction works in the actual game, but a compromise position that saves a lot of game time is to have an "in the fist" auction where every player bids VP's blind in order to set the next turn's tile choosing order. Ties are broken by the player that is closest (clockwise) to the winning bidder (or the previous first player if all bids are equal).
Araneuz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanMC wrote:
We are planning on adding the auction.

I used to enjoy it a lot more than the nonauction version, but as I have gotten more familiar with the game I think its not as big a difference as I once thought. Either way its planned for the future.

We are finishing up Hacienda right now, then the auction will probably get worked on at that point. The auction has some serious drawbacks in the pbw format(the reason we didn't do it initially) as it will add a huge number of turns to the game. It won't be bad in a 2 player, but in a 4 player it will add a minimum of 100 turns to the game, and the possibility of way more than that. We will see how many people play it once they see how long it drags their games out.

Yeah auction version will be a lot, A LOT longer game, because must wait for turn after every single bidding.
But anyway, it would be good addition to game, when you want play long and serious game. Also, it shouldn't be too big work to add.. Smile
qzhdad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: eBay style auction? Reply with quote

You could also do an "In the fist" variant.

Have everybody enter their max bid to go first, then resolve, then the remaining their max bid for going second.

This would eliminate the 1,2,pass,pass,3,4,pass,pass...
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay style auction? Reply with quote

qzhdad wrote:
You could also do an "In the fist" variant.

Have everybody enter their max bid to go first, then resolve, then the remaining their max bid for going second.

This would eliminate the 1,2,pass,pass,3,4,pass,pass...

I don't think we can do it that way and here is why.

In tikal I am bidding for turn order as much as the tile. I may be totally okay with the person to my right gets the tile, but not at all if its the person to my left. Doing a pure money bid doesn't take that into account. If we are going to do an auction, it needs to be the true tikal auction. Its going to make games very long, and I am not sure I would play it that way personally, but I don't see any reason to do it part way.
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except you know (a) how many points your opponents have and (b) how much you think they are likely to need a particular tile or turn position. In my (admittedly limited) experience, nobody bids more than 2-3 points most of the time, unless there is a specific tile they really need or if they really need to go first. The in-fist auction could be a reasonable compromise between the "real" Tikal auction and the limitations of SBW -- provide auction functionality without turning each game into a six-month epic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: