SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion of new rating system (ELO like)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with the proposed change?
Hell, yes!!
32%
 32%  [ 25 ]
I dunow
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
No let´s keep the percentage system
50%
 50%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 77

efreeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Similar to a previous argument, but hear me out - suppose this situation.

SpielByWeb implements Puerto Rico.

Another site has already done this..you play PR by web and it has ratings

Quote:
Some wekes pass in which many players hit the magic 1800 Elo rating number.

Those players start wishing to play "expert" PR players, so request that only 1800+ Elo rated palyers join.

OK...I don't see this as a problem..

Quote:
An established Brettspielwelt player visits the site, with a Huge ranking form that site. They can't join the expert game on this site. In fact, it takes so long to catch up with the required ranking to play in expert games, that they give up and go back to playing solely on Brettspielwelt.

It is true they cannot join the "expert" game immediately. However, it is incorrect to say that it takes a "long time" for them to catch up. If they are "in fact" very good. Only two or three games will get them to an 1800 level...

Quote:
Segregation based on rating is bad. How to prevent segregation based on rating? Have no rating.

Your example above doesn't hold much water. I'm still looking for a "good" reason why "segregation" is bad. In some games, people will simply prefer to play with experienced "good" players. What is wrong with that? In other games, beginners won't want experienced player trouncing them. What is wrong with that?

Eric
ElDavid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put my own two cents in....

I am amongst those who are in favor of some sort of rankings.
Obviously, the win percentage and number of games played don't say much.....I've played tens of E&T games on BGG with the same group of friends, won about what one would statistically expect, tried an open game, got clubbered like I played for the first time....obviously, I either regularly play with a group of average players, or I stumbled into an expert game.
A better ranking scheme gives me information about the game I am joining, or some control over the oens I create. Do I want to play a game where I have a good change of winning, because I want to pad my ego? Do I want to play with those better than myself because I want to learn and get better? Or do I jut not care, and simply ignore the ratings?
Will players start leaving the games if they are doing poorly? Take 100 points off for each abandoned game, track the number of abandoned games, give other players the option of not playing with people who have abandoned games....
Does it segregate the users? Maybe....but I find the concern hilarious. I just counted, and at this moment, 3 of 96 open games are NOT passworded. With 97% of the games unavailable to me, just how much more segregated can you get???

To counter the "poor BSW expert" argument....suppose a gamer likes Amun-Ra, for example....wants to buy it, maybe check it out here before he does....joins two games, each of them with 3 or 4 die-hard experts....doesn't even know what hit him before he is stuck on 8 points while everyone else has 40. Most likely decides it's a stupid game and stays away from it...
eratos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point about the new player aiming to buy the game is a valid one, and is a side to the story I hadn't considered.

However, the point about 97% of the games being unavailable to you is not.

Yes there are a lot of passworded games waiting to start - but some of those games have been waiting to start for a very very long time. The fact of the matter is the unpassworded games fill up very quickly, and as such you hardly see them on the open games list before they start.

Does anyone here play Go? Look at the KGS (Kiseido Go Server) for some example of what I mean. Everyone wants to play games with people of a higher rank them them so they can learn. Also, because of the way new people are treated with uncertain ranks, many people won't even entertain the thought of playing that person, as they could be under/over rated.

The only way on KGS to get a solid ranking and start gettign some games is to first play against some go robots - but you'd better find one that roughly matches your strength first!

All in all, it's a bit of a nightmare, and I would much much prefer a kind of tournament system (maybe a monthly league, maybe a single elimintation one-off thing, I don't know) to be available where, if entered, you get paired randomly and the better players naturally rise to the top without worrying about some arbitrary 'ranking' system that will most likely get it wrong.
ElDavid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True about the open games filling up quickly.....just out of curiosity....any way we could find out the actual % of all games on SBW that are passworded?
Llama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me strongly in the "No" camp. In my experience in life, any time something is done for a gain (rank, trophy, money) the fun rapidly goes out of the experience -- for me. I don't presume to speak for everyone; lots of people thrive on such competition. I just don't want to be a part of it.

Please, if ratings like this are implemented, have an option to not be rated. I will not continue to play open games at this site unless there is a way to play unrated games. No big loss to you, you're thinking? Probably. It will be a big loss to me, however.

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElDavid wrote:
True about the open games filling up quickly.....just out of curiosity....any way we could find out the actual % of all games on SBW that are passworded?

Approximately 33% of all games created have passwords and are started. Approximately 8% of all games created do not start within a few weeks and are thus deleted -- these are presumably all passworded. So roughly 41% of games created are presumably created with passwords.

These percentages have been decreasing over time, but ever so slightly (no more than 3-4%).
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Legalu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a full-blown ranking system is an overkill, but It would be nice to have some credit given for players that finish second or third in a 5-player game, for instance. Hopefully this would encourage all players to maximize his/her points until the end of each game, even though they no longer have the chance of winning.
Leo
mdfreeman7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama wrote:
Please, if ratings like this are implemented, have an option to not be rated.

I agree. Giving players an option of playing unrated games is a good idea and would please both camps.

Personally, I don't care if we have ratings or not. Though I do think a ladder system would exponentially increase instances of cheating/collusion. Sad Play a few "rated" games @ Yahoo games (uses a ladder) and you'll see immediately.

Do what you will, just leave some of us the option to maintain the status quo.
Legalu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdfreeman7 wrote:
Llama wrote:
Please, if ratings like this are implemented, have an option to not be rated.

I agree. Giving players an option of playing unrated games is a good idea and would please both camps.

Personally, I don't care if we have ratings or not. Though I do think a ladder system would exponentially increase instances of cheating/collusion. Sad Play a few "rated" games @ Yahoo games (uses a ladder) and you'll see immediately.

Do what you will, just leave some of us the option to maintain the status quo.

We already have rankings in SBW, which is a very simple calculation of percent wins. The winner takes all rewards and it doesn't matter if you finish second or last. Why not do a slight modification of the current rankings' system to encourage people to finish second instead of third?
stargate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some thoughts -- before you form an opinion about a ratings system
(my opinion is NO to a ratings system)

in the last 13 months SBW has grown by over 500 % Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
game 4000 was started in March 2006 -- game 24000 on April 16, 2007

I know that the new games have helped with this growth Very Happy
but -- would a ratings system have helped or hindered this growth Question

70 users have completed 190 games
182 users have completed 100 games
378 users have completed 50 games

the site is family friendly -- many husbands and wives play on the site
and a growing amount of teenage offspring of veteran players have
also been playing on SBW

read or re-read the post made in this thread by RyanMC on Feb. 28, 2006

this thread has had over 2050 views but only 61 votes in the poll Shocked

the food fights in the forum have been few Very Happy
for the most part the food fights in the forum have civil Very Happy

the rankings list is a great source of data without the
negative side effects of a ratings system

the only adjustment I would like to see made to the rankings list is----
a new sort line of ---
percent of games won ( ## minimum )
the ## could be 25, 30 , 40 or whatever ---
and this is only requested to reflect the number of users who
have completed over 50 games

one last comment Very Happy
Darius: you started this thread over a year ago ---
you are now a veteran Very Happy and a pleasure to play with Very Happy
Alashar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought I had was to incorporate some sort of simplified point system, based on where you finished in a game. In a 5-player game, the winner would receive 5 points, second place 4 points, and so on down. In a 3-player game, the winner would only receive 3 points, second place 2 points, and last place 1 point. The point totals would be divided by the number of games played. This rewards players more for winning games with larger groups, but also gives credit for those in trailing positions. The reward is very small in a 2-player game, but that's probably a lot more fair than it is now because after all you only have 1 opponent.

Of course it does nothing for ranking players against stronger or weaker opponents, but then again, it's probably a lot less complicated and easier to set up and maintain than that kind of system.

The present system could be maintained and this would be just an alternate way to view the stats or ignore them as a player chose. I think it might encourage people to stay in games and try harder for a better position as they'd be getting some credit for it instead of all or nothing as it is currently.
JimF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alashar wrote:
A thought I had was to incorporate some sort of simplified point system, based on where you finished in a game. In a 5-player game, the winner would receive 5 points, second place 4 points, and so on down. In a 3-player game, the winner would only receive 3 points, second place 2 points, and last place 1 point. The point totals would be divided by the number of games played.

I’m not sure a system where finishing 3rd in a 5 player game would net you the same points as finishing 1st in a 3 player game makes much sense.

A suggestion if we want to make the ranking system slightly more complicated without going down the ELO route would be to award points as follows based on the number of players in the game:

2Player: 1st=1, 2nd=0
3Player: 1st=1, 2nd=1/2, 3rd=0
4Player: 1st=1, 2nd=2/3, 3rd=1/3, 4th=0
5Player 1st=1, 2nd=3/4, 3rd=1/2, 4th=1/4, 5th=0 etc…..

The advantages of such a system are:
1) The expected number of points per player is the same (1/2 point per player) irrespective of the number of players in the game. This compares favourably with the current system which favours smaller games.
2) The system is still relatively simple and should be ok for everyone to understand.
3) The number of points a player has accumulated divided by the number of games they have played gives a meaningful percentage reflecting how well they have placed in games. This could be run alongside the present win%.
4) All positions are now worth fighting over from a rating point of view. Also for some kingmaking has been a problem. This system might alleviate the problem as even when someone knows they can’t win they still need to consider fighting for the minor places.

Disadvantages:
1) The system makes no allowance for how good one’s opponents are and also for players consistently playing the same player(s), but to do so would lead to a complex rating system.
2) It may detract from the main idea of playing games which is fun.

Anyway my 2 cents/pence worth.

I’d also like to back Stargate’s idea to request that the current win% for those with a minimum of 10 games is generalized so that the user can select the minimum number of games played.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been leaning toward implementing an ELO-based rating system whereby each user is ranked according to how closely his/her avatar resembles Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood or any other member of Electric Light Orchestra. Points would also be awarded for game names inspired by ELO songs.
cterrell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all over that! I'll be making an "Evil Woman" Tikal game shortly! Very Happy
stargate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cterrell wrote:
I'm all over that! I'll be making an "Evil Woman" Tikal game shortly! Very Happy

so where is the game Question Razz Question Razz Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: