SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be able to bar those w/history of abandoned games...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Be able to bar those w/history of abandoned games... Reply with quote

One of the games I created and was playing has been waiting since early January for "AlanR" to take their turn. So I just finally dug a little deeper and noticed that according to his profile, over the last year this player has a total of 11 games to their record listed as abandoned (this does not include current games). See:

http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=579&g=A&d=abd

My guess is this person gives up on games once there is no chance for them to win Sad

In any case, the suggestion is, when creating a game, to be able to prevent someone like this from joining the game...
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the topic http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38 on a proposed way to help deal with this... but this topic was from 2004 Smile

I also now see related/similiar topic http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76

Jeff
jbluestein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could simply only create passworded games, and only give out the password to people whom you know to be reliable. If you enter into a game with an unknown quantity, you run a risk.

Such is life.
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbluestein wrote:
Or you could simply only create passworded games, and only give out the password to people whom you know to be reliable. If you enter into a game with an unknown quantity, you run a risk.

That's like saying one should only drive on roads where you know all the other drivers after you've been involved in a car accident....

However there's no reason for extreme reactions either way... and it also doesn't mean when we drive on public roads that that there can't be some law enforcement, or in this example, taking away someones drivers licence. Mikal has proposed some ways to make the roads safer, and that's all I'm hoping for Smile

That's not to say I don't enjoy playing some password protected games, but it's also fun to play with a large variety of players, in this case from all over the world.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realize, the poor sports that quit a game, have no qualms abotu creating new names either. There is no perfect system.
seamusk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: open games Reply with quote

I prefer open games and don't appreciate quitters. I think a system to punish quitters would be good. Even if they can create a new user name it will likely have at least some impact on the number of dead players.
Kanga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to see something in place that allows the game creator to kick out players they dont want from their games. Obviously passworded games work well if you have a set group of players you want to play with, but there's no reason why a creator of an open game can't have some power of veto too.

To quote an example, many non passworded games request frequent players only. However, in a couple of them I've been in, players who clearly by their playing time average are not frequent players have joined. Even the passworded speedy games are able to be joined effectively by everyone - the password isn't secret Smile
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gasp* We have a leak?!

Wink
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, there is a speedy passworded game looking for three players yet. Time to join in!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: