SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand Slam Tournament Poll

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grand Slam Tikal Tournament
I like it the way it is!
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
I would prefer to play 9 games with 4x2pl, 3x3pl and 2x4pl games
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
I prefer to only play 2pl or 3pl or 4pl tournaments - no mixing of the 3
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 24

almondralf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Grand Slam Tournament Poll Reply with quote

Since we are well into our Grand Slam tournament I would like to collect some feedback from you guys out there. It seems that the current tournament with 3x2pl, 2x3pl and 1x4pl games went pretty well so far! But it looks like that if a player is unfortunate (e.g. bad draw) in his only 4 player game it will be very difficult to reach the final!!
So the options would be to increase the number of games to 4x2pl, 3x3pl and 2x4pl games - but that makes a total of 9 games per player and I am not sure if that would be too much for some??

So please share your ideas with us and take part in the poll so we can decide about the next tournament!

I also welcome users to participate even if they are not a current player of the tournament!

Thanks Ralf
smlait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tikal, but 9 concurrent games might be a bit much. If we went that way, it might be best to spread them over two 'rounds'. (You'd post half our games at the beginning of the tournament and the other half about 2 weeks later. That way, we could get at least some of our games out of the way before the new ones started.)
klingone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want only play games with 3 and 4 players.
I prefer 4 games with 3 and 2 games with 4 players.
smlait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be disappointed if that change was made. 2-player is my favourite.
almondralf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smlait wrote:
Quote:
I like Tikal, but 9 concurrent games might be a bit much. If we went that way, it might be best to spread them over two 'rounds'. (You'd post half our games at the beginning of the tournament and the other half about 2 weeks later.

I think that might be a good idea !!! Laughing
Bogey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes Tikal so great is that in the 4 player (and 3 to some degree) auction variant there is aspect of "how much can I make that person bid" strategy. Not the "holy crap thank God I just pulled a blank/drop a tent, next to the previously pulled 5 temple."

I know that stronger players will win more often in non-auction games but the luck factor of pulling a useful tile is too great.

Sorry, but I think the 2 player game is for the weak. With only two tents to place you can't really challenge someone. No point in bidding because you'll get something useful (except maybe needing to score first) the next round.

With that said and because there seems to be interest in 2 player games, I'd join a tournament if it was 4-4 player games, 3-2 player and 2 or 1 two player games.
Saul Pum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: tour Reply with quote

i would like to see a more representative sample of the different versions. Why 9 non auction games?

Bogey, your answer about no point in bidding in the 2 man version shows me you dont really understand it. Bidding require careful planning of moves and deciding how much a bid costs versus gain in VPs. The auction version (2 man) is used at gaming conventions. Those who know me , know i bid high, and have reasonable success (direct contradiction to your statement).

That being said, some poeple prefer non auction and would rather just use clever moves of pieces (this is ok too). And 4 player to me is sort of a popularity contest and the skill seems to be gaining points without everyone seeing you as a threat and taking you out. Still i recognize value in all versions and think the game is good in all of them. So cmon Almond, use them all!
smlait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: tour Reply with quote

Saul Pum wrote:
i would like to see a more representative sample of the different versions. Why 9 non auction games?

Because some of us find the auction games s.o...i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.y...t.e.d.i.o.u.s.l.y...s.l.o.w... in the online format that we won't join? Smile

And I agree that 2-player is not "for the weak" at all. It balances out the luck far better than 4-player does (since more tiles are drawn per player) and doesn't have the additional 'luck' factor of who gangs up on whom.
almondralf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind the Grand Slam Tournament is to see who is a good "Allrounder" combined in the 2,3 and 4 player games. I know there is people out there who play only 4 player and some play mostly 2 player games - we had various tournaments for those groups over the time and I know pretty much who is good in each of them!!

But which player is good in all 3???

I also like the auction versions but for a SBW tournament a 4 player auction is too long - a game can often take several months!!

Saul: Since we are getting close to the end of our 2 player auction tournament you might wanna see if there is some interest out there for a 3 player auction tournament!! Why dont you start setting one up??
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, as a general rule, 2-player versions of any game are substantially more skilled-based than multiplayer variations of the same game.

Some quick examples off the top of my head:

1) Caylus: The 2-player version has been compared to chess. The multiplayer version often sees strong players losing to weak players.

2) Ticket to Ride: The 2-player version is extremely strategic, and the strong players are almost unbeatable. The multiplayer versions are pretty much a crapshoot.

3) Samuri: multiplayer is all about making sure that you play right after an idiot. (Ditto for Puerto Rico)

That said, I enjoy multiplayer versions of most games more than the 2-player versions, because they are "fun" that way. If I want to play games where the skillful always win, there are many chess servers online.

So, I like multiplayer Tikal substantially more than 2-player Tikal, but I would never ever claim that 2-player Tikal was for the weak... rather, I would almost certainly claim that the opposite was true.
Saul Pum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: true Reply with quote

Wow, i find myself agreeing with Knave.. Shocked . Some mighty fine games he mentioned there. Laughing

I guess people are right about the auction taking longer, but i figured in a site like this we would all have patience.

Not a bad idea Almond. I will, but right now i am getting a rather difficult certification which will take several months. As it involves infectious disease and there is quite the outbreak of swine flu, you can imagine where my priorities lie. STill, I will try to share the load next year...In the meantime, good luck to those in the tournamnet.
lefty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with the way the tournament is now. I'd be fine with more games, more games spread out, either or.

I can try to set up the 3P tournament. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it today or into the weekend.
powermorph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at the current tournament and it is heavily biased towards winning your 4 player game - The top 5 positions are those who have won that variant (although you have to win some of the others also). Maybe more points for 2nd and 3rd in the 4player game would address this, or less points for the 4pl.

The mix of games is about right for me. If there were more then perhaps split the start into 2 as had already been suggested (worked OK for the Reef league previously).
BryJones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy playing a mix of 2, 3 and 4 although I find the 2 player the least satisfying. Just a personal preference based on liking the interplay you get with more players. Also 2 player seems more confrontational to me as you are entirely focused on beating 1 opponent. As I tend to only play tournaments on SpielByWeb I can cope with 9 games of Tikal at the same time so would vote for that option
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: