SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Seventh Multichallenge for Three Standings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaditus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: The Seventh Multichallenge for Three Standings Reply with quote

10/60

4 24 Pompkin
4 14 Gaditus
5 12 tphon
3 08 freduk
3 08 daveszum
1 06 gische
1 02 lindalait
1 02 Knave
1 02 kekeweb
2 02 Dobinator
0 00 powermorph
0 00 striking_cobra
0 00 EzeBig
0 00 smlait
0 00 mongo
0 00 Nemesis
1 00 NoMoreCheese
1 00 almondralf
1 00 jglazier
2 00 Payton3434

Games played and points scored.
Gaditus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20/60

4 24 Pompkin
6 18 tphon
6 16 daveszum
4 14 Gaditus
6 14 NoMoreCheese
2 12 gische
6 12 Payton3434
3 10 kekeweb
2 08 lindalait
3 08 freduk
1 06 mongo
4 06 almondralf
2 04 Knave
5 04 Dobinator
2 02 EzeBig
2 02 jglazier
0 00 powermorph
0 00 striking_cobra
1 00 smlait
1 00 Nemesis

I am concerned that the draw for these tournaments may be unfair. They are random, in that I create a template for player01 to player20 and then randomly allocate players numbers, so I have no idea who will play who at what.

However a player can be drawn against a lot of weak players (especially in the lesser known games like Bus) and have an advantage or get drawn against the best players in some of the games and have a significant disadvantage.

With only three players going through to the final, a tough draw can be very hard to beat. I am considering introducing a semi final round, which would be the same as the finals with the top player in each semi final going into the final. This would mean the top nine would make it through the preliminary round and go some way to dealing with a poor draw. It would also allow more players to experience the intense 8 game match up.

However, this would extend an already lengthy tournament so I thought I would throw it open to discussion.
smlait

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of a semi-final is a nice one. (I'm biased, of course, because I think I'm probably good enough at most games to make a semi-final draw but not good enough to make top three - so I like the idea of an extra round of games.)

In terms of fairness, your system is certainly fair; it just doesn't necessarily lead to a true top three. While if one person was *much* better than the rest, they'd make the top anyway, I suspect that in reality, we're much more closely matched than that. I won't complain about the way it's done now, though. I know I've benefitted from the draw in some tournaments and been hurt by it in others and, since I play for fun (rather than taking rankings particularly seriously), it doesn't bother me.
freduk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in favour of a semi-final approach - and that's from someone who's won 3 of the 6 tourneys so far Very Happy
The length of the tourney doesn't bother me. If (when) I get knocked out, there's plenty of other things happening on this site, not to mention the casual games.
tphon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The semi-final structure gets my vote also. It keeps more players interested longer and may add some interest to those games competing for the mid table positions.
Oh and like Sue I probably stand a better chance of the semi than a 3 player final.
Payton3434

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semifinals would be great, another thought for the future would be playing 2 games for game, I know thats 16 games, but this might help some of the unfairness that gaditus mentioned.
Knave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what I think, though it is to some extent unfair. For example, anyone up against me in Amun Re is in for a tough time, I'm fairly good at 3-player. However, I cannot wrap my head around Hacienda at all, so anyone playing that game against me almost has a freebie.

But, I dislike prolonged tournaments. If I have an unlucky draw this time around, maybe I'll be lucky the next time. No big deal.
powermorph

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally prefer semi's so that it gives you a better chance to qualify - only 3 finalists is a tough one. However, on this occasion I think it is more of a 'fun' tournament, and the lucky dip of who you get drawn against is part of it.

I was going to say you are more likely to see different winners by going straight to the final, but Fred has spoiled that one Smile . Certainly I think by introducing a semi-final, the likes of Fred and Mongo are more likely to win, and they are good enough already.
gische

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way is good for me.
Gaditus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

31/60

5 30 gische
5 30 Pompkin
7 20 NoMoreCheese
8 20 tphon
7 18 daveszum
5 16 Gaditus
3 14 mongo
4 14 freduk
2 12 powermorph
4 12 kekeweb
6 12 Payton3434
6 10 Knave
4 08 striking_cobra
4 08 lindalait
5 08 almondralf
4 06 EzeBig
7 06 Dobinator
2 02 smlait
2 02 jglazier
3 00 Nemesis

The comments regarding a semi final round seem to be more for than against. (5 for, 2 against, 1 abstention - but as one who looks like qualifying in the top three helpful to know)

I don't like changing rules in mid tournament, and I certainly don't wish to change them to my own advantage, but on balance I like the idea, and I do feel that the more players who get a chance to have the eight game match up the better so ...

... I will introduce a semi final round this time. However, if I happen to finish in 4-9th place I will exclude myself.

The semi final draw will be based on finishing positions in the 'preliminary round'.

Semi one 1st, 6th, 8th
Semi two 2nd, 4th, 9th
Semi three 3rd, 5th, 7th

Ties will be broken by comparing head to head games if any
Removing games starting with the earliest alpha/numerical
Drawing lots.

In a previous tournament with 20 players, 5 players tied for 9th place with 24 points!
freduk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't exclude yourself.
Dobinator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Silly to exclude yourself. Really, anybody who'd get cheesed that you added a playoff round mid-tourney needs anger management counseling and/or a boot to the head.

I approve of a playoff round, too - I've made the finals a couple times (though obviously not this time!) and I know I've had easier draws those times. If you're playing some of the less-played games (i.e. Bus, Reef) and you've played them enough to know what you're doing, you automatically get big points there if you're playing against newbies. On the other hand, even if you're pretty good at most of the games, getting set against good players in a couple of them (even if those players don't win anything else) can sink you. A playoff would mitigate both of these potential imbalances, and it would give those with skill at all of the games more of a chance to rise to the top.

And it would let us play more games.
powermorph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the one's who preferred straight to the final, I'm happy with the new proposal.

But I would also say this is clearly NOT to enable you to qualify and you should not be excluded. The point of the tournament is to beat the players by winning games, not by others being excluded.
lindalait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-finals sounds good. And DON'T exclude yourself. You're not the only one likely to benefit, so there's no point in you losing out.

Besides, these are games. It's all about having FUN! Laughing
smlait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly girl! It's all about beating your sister at Hacienda... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: