SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug report: army in cup vanished

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwt2q

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Bug report: army in cup vanished Reply with quote

In Wallenstein game 3089, from the gamelog, Year 1:Summer Resolution, the relevant text is quoted below from the second round of attacks. The first attack leaves 3 of bwt2q's armies in the cup. 1 of those armies vanishes in the next attack, since bwt2q now has only 2 armies in the cup.

Please note: this is pretty minor, and didn't really affect any outcomes, so you certainly don't have to fix the game. But if there is an underlying bug that needs fixing, I hope this helps you find it.

Great site - I've played just a few games and am totally hooked! Thanks for all you do to make it happen.

Quote:

joedivec1 moved 4 armies from Mähren into unoccupied Schlesien (18 Jan 2006 07:01 pm)
-- 4 of joedivec1's attacking armies plus 0 from the cup and 1 defending peasants plus 0 from the cup go into the tower (18 Jan 2006 07:01 pm)
-- 4 of joedivec1's attacking armies and 1 defending peasants come out of the tower (18 Jan 2006 07:01 pm)
-- The attack succeeds: 3 of joedivec1's armies occupy the conquered territory and 1 return to the supply (18 Jan 2006 07:01 pm)
-- 3 of bwt2q's armies and 2 of jonpfl's armies remain in the cup (18 Jan 2006 07:01 pm)

jonpfl moved 1 armies from Kursachsen into unoccupied Böhmen (18 Jan 2006 07:32 pm)
-- 1 of jonpfl's attacking armies plus 2 from the cup and 1 defending peasants plus 0 from the cup go into the tower (18 Jan 2006 07:32 pm)
-- 3 of jonpfl's attacking armies and 0 defending peasants come out of the tower (18 Jan 2006 07:32 pm)
-- The attack succeeds: 3 of jonpfl's armies occupy the conquered territory and 0 return to the supply (18 Jan 2006 07:32 pm)
-- 1 of FriedieFish's armies and 2 of bwt2q's armies remain in the cup
fteplin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a battle occurs, you dump in ALL armies from the cup into the tower, whether they are revelant to the battle or not. In this case, bwt2q's three armies got poured in, but only two came out of the tower.
Riff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fteplin wrote:
but only two came out of the tower.

Which means the missing one is still in the tower waiting for next time...
bwt2q

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh - I missed that. I thought only the armies relevant to the battle went in, and the rest just stayed in the cup. Thanks for the clarification!
lotsa blots

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think this game on this site begs for a new column listing 'How many armies in the Tower?' for each player and farmers.
Riff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Fat Bloke pointed out in your other thread in the board game you cannot see what armies are in the tower. If you really want to know you can go back through the game logs and count - which you cannot do in the board game! But you'd be a really sad person to do that wouldn't you...
lotsa blots

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't count armies, in real world, or here.

But the real world is constrained by time and human capability. Here, the constraint doesn't need to exist: the drudgery of counting and keeping track could easily be done by the computer and displayed.

Apparently, if this were developed, it should be a game option, as apparently many prefer the physical world constraint be enforced in the virtual world.

I, for one, would prefer to know Tower counts, where feasible. I think many in the physical world would also, but are constrained.
Riff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but.... If a player in Walinstien chooses to count all the armies in and out (I think I know some one who may do this...!) then they potentially have a competitive advantage as they know what the odds ar before an attack. However the normal odds really do work as I have seen many instances where the smaller army has easilt defeted the bigger army because moer armies have stopped in the tower. Knowing exactly what is in there spoils my fun...
Golux13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, there is no need to review gamelogs to count armies. Every player has 61 armies available in all (62 minus one for the grain track). All you need to do is add up the number on the board for any player, add the number shown as "In Supply" and subtract the total from 61. That tells you how many are in the cup plus the tower -- and you can see how many are in the cup, so you know how many are in the tower.

It's even easier to check your own, since you can see the number of armies in each of your provinces in the list to the right. (I have missed provinces when trying to count opponents' armies.)

EDIT: I forgot to finish my thought. My ultimate point is that an "Armies in Tower" column is really not necessary, as it's so easy to calculate based on the information on the board.

A final comment: It is a competitive advantage to know what armies are in the tower. In a live game, it can be very difficult to keep track of the armies in the tower, but in a SbW game, it's easy. It's also a technique that is equally available to all players, so there is no bias to it (except against those of us who have trouble distinguishing between the blue and purple players). So I always calculate as best as I can what my odds are before attacking, and if you don't do that you deserve what you get.

Last edited by Golux13 on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
lotsa blots

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Golux13 points out, Armies in Tower is an accounting admin function, which is exactly what computers are really good at, and one of the bext ways that they serve humans: to save time and annoyance.
emmadavis0644

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for information!
Mistrales

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think this game on this site begs for a new column listing 'How many armies in the Tower?' for each player and farmers
GerryLi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello to all
thank for it
GerryLi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello to all
thank for it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: