SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning by doing? - Introductory game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wernazuma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Learning by doing? - Introductory game Reply with quote

Hi,
when I noticed that Reef Encounter is available here, I jumped to read the rules, but for some reason I just didn't get how the game works. Without actually seeing the bits I lost myself between alga cylinders and larva cubes as I did when following Oliver Stone's JFK plot.

Would it be possible to learn the game better in an introductory game? And, more importantly, is there some kind person here willing to help me a bit?

Thanks,
Wernazuma
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to try to help, but (as I noted in another thread) the only way I could figure out the game mechanics was by playing a live game first. No knock on Milksheikh, but the rules here are just confusing as all hell. (I suspect that's because the rules in the game box are confusing if you're not actually looking at the pieces and learning as you play.)

Note: When I say I will try to help, I make no claim to being any good at the game. I just have a handle on how to play it, not how to win it.
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead, knock me on this one -- I did a simple copy/paste of the rules, minus the images, for the sake of getting it up there, hoping to go back and clean it up. Which I haven't done...

If anyone wants to volunteer to clean it up, please do -- I'll be tremendously appreciative. Somebody in fact already did, but I can't seem to find the message he/she sent. I'd like to keep it as similar as possible to the rules as printed, just modified as needed to reflect the SpielByWeb interface and with images for the examples.

Last edited by milksheikh on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
shugyosha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing, but after two games and a couple of nice helpful players, I feel at least I can play the game without embarrassing myself.

Just create a game, make it clear you are a beginner and go from there.
GuruMoonweed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Info Reply with quote

Just so you know - the rules with the gme are terrible. It took me 4 reads to even vaguely understand it. I have to say that the controlled way in which this website takes you through legal moves is brilliant - now all teh mistakes are my own.
7inchsplit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Suggesting Organization Reply with quote

Indeed, the rule book is terrible - it first lengthily discusses each and every possible action you can take (there are 9) without touching on the purpose of any of it. My suggestion would be to organize the rules like so:

- Gestalt
- Shrimps/Corals (note their relationship, but emphasize the neutraily of corals)
- Laying polyps and consuming polyps
- Polyp relationships (rock-paper-scissors) and the alga cylinders
- What you can do with consumed polyps
- Eating a coral
- Scoring
- The finer points:
--- Diversity
--- The need to get consumed polyps and how difficult it can be to get them
--- Chains
--- The shifting values of coral colors over a game
--- Watching your opponents diet - how fast they eat and what they eat
gische

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a year + one day the longest gap between posts in a thread?

Anyway, I think we all agree that the rulebook for Reef Encounter is about as obtuse as they get. But I think we also can agree that we'd rather the site administrators spend their valuable free time creating more games rather than improving existing rule books.

Having said that, if some enterprising squeaky wheel wanted to write an updated version of the rules, I am sure the effort would be appreciated...
stargate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gische wrote:
Is a year + one day the longest gap between posts in a thread?

it is NOT -- Smile
7inchsplit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn! That's the real reason I posted Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Reef Encounter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: