SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hoity Toity / Adel Verpflichtet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Wrong Rules Reply with quote

I was reading this today...

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/reviews/HoityToity.shtml

Author claims that the detective rule is as follows:

You advance a number of spaces equal to the number of occupied spaces in front of you.

As the author points out, this weakens the detective, which makes sense, since the detective is risk-free, while exhibit/thief both have risks. I'd still prefer my bus variant implemented, since bus is broken in its current version, while Hoity still works with the currently implemented detective rule.

That said, MS has shown a preference for implementing only designer-approved modifications, and it appears that this detective rule might be designer-approved (possibly even designer intended), which would move it up the priority scale.
freduk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the website...
Quote:
However, there's no downside to playing a detective, you either get the points or you do not. Since six points is more than you could score with even the best show, it skews the game somewhat.

It seems to me that if you play the detective, the downside is that you may not get the points (and have wasted a turn)...
There is no way this skews the game. What it does is make your choices more interesting. Think of Rock-Paper-Scissors, but with 2 points if you use Rock to win. Does this make Rock too powerful? I don't think so... Very Happy

(edit for spelling)
johnrpack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original German rules for Adel Verpflichtet have the detective based on "place" just as implemented on SpielByWeb. The Avalon Hill versions had an illustration that implied it was based on "position" -- even though the rules still read like the original. I don't know about the Uberplay Hoity Toity.

On the other hand, I do know that the original designer removed the cards for the sixth player intentionally. Restoring them wasn't a good choice. I think one of the reasons the designer removed the sixth player was the possibility of a detective advancing six spaces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hoity Toity / Adel Verpflichtet All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: