SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 player Tikal.. insanely boring ending?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: 2 player Tikal.. insanely boring ending? Reply with quote

I have just begun to learn the game, but the 2 player game seems to drag on quite a bit. All of our guys were out even before the 3rd volcano, and now we are just shifting them around, turn by turn, waiting for the inevitable end.

Is this a standard event in Tikal? Is it like this because me (and my opponent) are both newbies so we did some cluelessly stupid things in the game which has resulted in this type of ending?

I just want to know, should I be sticking with 4 player (which was quite enjoyable), or are 2-player games generally more interesting than the one I am currently experiencing. (And this is not meant as an insult to my opponent, it is not his fault at all, it just seems weird that we both have a lot of incentive to just pass every turn, since any move is easily countered by a mirror image move by the opponent who wants to maintain the status quo)
sedge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, 2 player blows. I know some people love it and there's a lot less chaos than a 4 player game, but imho there's also a resulting loss of fun.
daveszum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: 2 player Tikal Reply with quote

I would suggest playing with someone like Almond Ralf. He is very good and, after he womps on you for using a simplistic strategy, you start to see that it is a rather sophisticated game of chess........
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it was not clear, but I was not claiming that I was good. I will parse my statement in a smaller bullet point to help with comprehension.

Knave: Game is boring at the end
Dave: I know a guy who could kick your ass
Knave: Rolling Eyes

See Dave, I know my strategies are suboptimal, I've played a grand total of twice. My question was whether, given equally strong people, if the game would degenerate as well, since any move can be mirrored. Telling me that some random (talented) guy can beat me is of no real value, and doesn't really explain anything.

Thanks for trying though.
Legion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, two player can be quite boring sometimes. I pretty much know who's going to win by the second volcano, and it's usually not me...Wink
almondralf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every game is boring when you dont know what you are doing!! Twisted Evil
Knave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree completely, I found my first game of Reef Encounter thrilling. Ditto for Amun Re, Wallenstein, RA, Year of the Dragon, Agricola, Settlers, Pax Brittanica, Diplomacy, and a host of other games.

I am not one who is annoyed because I do not understand I game, I see it more as a challenge. The 2-player Tikal game I am in now though is annoying. It has been over for a long time, and there is nothing my opponent could have done about it going all the way back to the first volcano. Now we are just treading water, waiting to be put out of our misery.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight ... you are still playing more tiles, thus turning over more treasure and more temples to own and YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING TO DO ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe you should play a game against 'ralf to pick up a few different things to do.

2P Tikal ?boring = maybe.
nothing to do with your turns to force your opponent to do something as well = no way!

Its a different style of game from 3-4 P, just like 2p hacienda on a map with land buyout can drag, the occasional game of TIkal in 2p can drag. But overall it is an interesting game of luck (skill effect limited after a certain level).
Knave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, temples can no longer be upgraded, there are only a few inconsequential treasures left to be found (and I spread myself out to maximize my probability of being nearby when they appeared). I've got the big temples locked down, and if he tries to shift his men, I'll just copy him to make sure that I stay on top of the key locations.

What can be done but wait?

Crying or Very sad
freduk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave wrote:
Perhaps it was not clear, but I was not claiming that I was good. I will parse my statement in a smaller bullet point to help with comprehension.

Dave: I know a guy who could kick your ass
Knave: Rolling Eyes

See Dave, I know my strategies are suboptimal, I've played a grand total of twice. My question was whether, given equally strong people, if the game would degenerate as well, since any move can be mirrored. Telling me that some random (talented) guy can beat me is of no real value, and doesn't really explain anything.

Thanks for trying though.

I think you mis-read Dave's post. Try this version:

Dave: I know a guy who could show you some different strategies that could make it more interesting
Knave: oh, thanks, that's a good idea Laughing
leck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done freduk. That's exactly my reading on the conversation.
Bogey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't stop playing Tikal. It is a great game and I believe much better with 3 and 4 players. It is also much different bewteen the "flip and place" and auction version.

IMO, the 4 player auction is the best. Besides digging a treasure there isn't any other luck. The only downside is that online, a 4 player auction can take quite some time.
Carmilla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Auction Game Online Reply with quote

Can somebody tell me what "some time" usually means in this context? (Apologies for the threadjack, hopefully it'll be brief.) I'm playing my first auction game here, and it's been going on for two months. By the time my turn rolls around, I don't freakin' CARE which tile I get!
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almondralf wrote:
Every game is boring when you dont know what you are doing!! Twisted Evil

playing against Ralf is FRUSTRATING not Boring Very Happy
daveszum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Knave's density Reply with quote

Thanks guys for interpreting for me. Sometimes I forget that Knave's obtuseness prevents hims from listening (or in this case reading with comprehension). Not sure why I tried since I already knew this.....sigh - 'tis a lost skill I suppose Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: