SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeah, I'm slow!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpsof95

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Yeah, I'm slow! Reply with quote

As everyone who has current games with me has noticed, I'm really slow at the moment. It usually takes 3-5 days between my turns. I have 60 games running and take about 10-20 turns a day, so there you have it.

So why do I have 60 games running? Well, in the late summer I had around 10 games running and I was bored of having no action. So I joined a few tourneys, because I've really enjoyed them. But instead of the usual 3 or 4 games, most tourneys had 6-8 games in them. Some of my tourneys also returned from a summer break, and in some tourneys I had reached the finals. So suddenly I had over 60 games running.

Most of the time, I could handle 60 games decently, but I'm running a bit low on motivation at the moment, because I've been performing so poorly in the Hacienda league. So I've tried to give a bit more thought to my actions, which means more time per turn and more work to my brain. Especially Reef Encounter has caused me a lot of work, usually it takes 10-20 minutes to take my turn there (it would help if all the available information was visible and not crypted in the gamelogs).

In the last few days, I've received some negative comments due to my slowness. I've been dropped out of tourneys, my tourney entries have been denied and I've received a few unfriendly messages. Am I really that slow? Is it really that horrible?

I'm not slowing down games on purpose to annoy anyone, I'm doing my best all the time. If I would join a tourney game, it would probably be finished in about two months or so, if other players are active. Sounds pretty normal to me.

I consider myself a regular SBW player with pretty decent average turn time (below 4 hours). If I'm slow for a while during this autumn, I don't think I deserve all that negative feedback.

P.S. Thanks to Rebelslayer and others, who have understood me.
rseulow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took way too long for me to read this.

Twisted Evil
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could have taken 3 more turns in the time it took to write this. Rolling Eyes

Maybe if we knew what CPS stood for people might be more understanding. Wink

I don't see how personal attacks would ever be justified though.

...and Rebelslayer understanding? Confused only when he's waterblocking you I bet.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think it was mainly animal blocking this time ... oh yes, there was that water block in the V1.

Life catches up with all of us at different times. Its a turn based game, so the turns taking longer just means you need to join more games.
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue here is not that cps is slow.

The issue is that cps is slow AND he wants to join even more games even when he admits that he is overloaded.

Despite my other thread, I don't really mind playing with slow people in normal games. But if cps says he can't handle games, and then he is looking to join another tourney... that just irks me.

That said, I don't think I launched a personal attack against cps. I criticized his actions, which is certainly fair game.
Kanga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us can understand where cps is coming from.

As a tournament organiser it's frustrating because it slows everything down, so I took the step of dropping cps from one tournament rather than wait a month (at current speed) for his games to finish. It wasn't meant as a personal attack on cps, and hope it wasn't taken as such.

even with cps's request to join another tournament, it was stated clearly he'd be slow. Gaditus can decide on whether or not to allow him to play with that limit.

cps has always been a fast player and I'm sure will be once he gets his games down to a more functional level.
bearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cps has played well in some games I've been in with him, so I hope to see him in Amun-Re in the future. 60 games sounds really overloaded--almost like work.
gische

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal attacks are bad, but I have to admit that it seems a poor choice on your part to be joining more tournaments when you're already overloaded. I know that I have to turn down many tourneys that I'd like to enter purely on the basis of not having nearly the time to play that many games at once.
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I too, like cps, am a much quicker player (close to an hour per turn), but I had a job change and move to the UK from USA and have had a tremendous slow down in my turns ability. I find it somewhat unfriendly and unwarranted to harrass someone who is continuing to take their turns (albeit slightly slower than some would like) when I've been involved in games where people have NOT taken turns for days on end, and was severely castigated for criticizing them. Perhaps some have lost the fun of the games and view it too competatively. And before anyone says it, yes my win percentage is not very good so its easier for me to enjoy just playing not worrying about the competition.
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkruppa wrote:
Normally I too, like cps, am a much quicker player (close to an hour per turn), but I had a job change and move to the UK from USA

where in the UK?
cpsof95

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. By the way, I have no turns to take at the moment. Let's see if I can keep up with the pace of 60 games.
cterrell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the pleasure of playing with CPS in many games, and my experience has been that he is about as quick (and good) as any regular player normally. I had a period recently where I had just finished moving and was (abnormally) slow for a span of a few weeks. I let Kanga know the circumstances when asked and then I caught back up in the league. Life gets in the way sometimes, we all get that from time to time.

My advice to you CPS is that you work your existing game load down by at least half if not more. 60 games is a big load, so finish what you have started and work back up as time and motivation allows. Taking on more games right now seems counterproductive. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

All the best,

Chris
JM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cps, you're a good player, we'll wait for you.
Coach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: cpsof95 Reply with quote

It has always been a pleasure to play with the best on this site, that includes flaviorj, kanga, rebelslayer and yes cpsof95. I know there are many more who beat me on a very regular basis but I can't fit all your names here. The object is fun not worry over when you can take a turn, stop and smell the camel dung, join another game while you wait, get involved with the one day games. Some people have other lives, problems etc. give it a break, it's a game.
freduk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original subject was about time between turns, not time between forum posts Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: