SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forming: Fast Player's League
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of issues with your requirements

My average turn is 1.9 hours, yet I have 1 abandoned game. This came from a glitch in a game which caused the game to go corrupt. When this happens, the game remains active until the time ends (2 weeks) and then it counts as you abandoning it. Many abandoned games come from this

Occasionally SBW goes down. When it does the clock keeps ticking. So if you had 30 games going, and it's your turn say in the morning when you wake up, and the site is down for 2-3 days, you get your average time between turns pumped up by days.

The time zone issue causes 2 fast players to actually play really slow.
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildfire2099 wrote:

1) 4 hours per turn is NOT slow. Think about it... say you're at work, and you can take a turn, say 5 times in a day... the average time on those turns is likely to be pretty low... say an hour for ease of math. Then, you go home, go to sleep, and check your games the next day at work... that turn will be probably 15 hours....that's an average of about 3 and 1/3 hours a turn (1 15, 5 ones). Toss in the occassional vacation and/or busy time, you're over 4 hours.

I agree, the above represents a very reasonable player. I think that 15 hours between sleep and work can be avoided by making some moves in the morning, but that is just details.

My point is, I would be happy to play with a player as described above in most games, but NOT in a fast game, because the player, as described above, is NOT fast. He is reasonable, but NOT FAST.

I am looking for the unreasonable here. I am looking for people who do NOT take vacations, and are NOT occasionally too busy to move. There is nothing wrong with people who take vacations, but they are NOT FAST.

Quote:

2) By making such requirements, you'll eliminating half the player pool

That is the point.

Quote:
you're gonna have alot of trouble finding people.

The first FPL game filled up in hours.

Quote:
3) By making such a big fuss, you're just ASKING for people to join you games and be slow, on principle.

That says more about the community than me. More importantly, that is what the blacklist is there for. I expect to have to deal with idiots, but they will be filtered out, slowly but surely.

Quote:
The point of the format of this site is to be able to play at leisure, when you have a few minutes... it's not designed to be real time.

I am not sure of how a requirement of a 3-4 hour turn average can be construed as "real time". Anyone who believes that must not be able to grasp the concept of an "average".

I do play BSW, but that satisfies a different need. In particular, I cannot commit over an hour to a real time game, since I never have that much consecutive free time.

Quote:
If a games going too slow, start 3 more, then you'll have something to do

No, I will not play 60 games. I like to think about my games, ponder them. Savour my victories and my losses. If I play too many games, I lose that feeling. I refuse to let the slow people inflict their play style upon me, and I refuse to sit back as they complain when I am not even forcing my style upon them.
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t_o_m9 wrote:
My average turn is 1.9 hours, yet I have 1 abandoned game. This came from a glitch in a game which caused the game to go corrupt. When this happens, the game remains active until the time ends (2 weeks) and then it counts as you abandoning it. Many abandoned games come from this

I was not aware of this. Clearly, that abandonment would not count.

Quote:
The time zone issue causes 2 fast players to actually play really slow.

It would increase the average time, but other games against people in a similar time zone would lower the average time. Overall, I imagine that this effect would be negligible. I check SBW 3 times a day: morning, after work, night. all about 8 hours apart. Time zones are not that relevant.
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave wrote:

It would increase the average time, but other games against people in a similar time zone would lower the average time. Overall, I imagine that this effect would be negligible. I check SBW 3 times a day: morning, after work, night. all about 8 hours apart. Time zones are not that relevant.

Just a little something to think about... I gave you an example of how someone making FIVE moves in a day is barely fast enough for you... yet you say here you only make THREE moves a day.
freduk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, why are we still having this discussion?
If Knave wants to set up a game with a requirement of 4 hour turn average, he is entirely within his rights to do so. It has been pointed out that this will exclude a large number of gamers, and he accepts this. Let him get on with it.
There are plenty of other games to join for those outside the criteria for this game. If you really want to give Knave a game and feel excluded, I'm sure he'd accept if you set one up and invited him. He's already said he plays "slower" games.
There really is no difference between asking for players with a certain "average time", and asking for those only on the Pacific Coast, or those whose nicknames begin with "f". Some people will fall into this category, others won't.

Also, some people seem to have taken exception to being called "slow". Who cares? I have an average turn time of 6.5 hours and think I play at a reasonable rate. Some will think I'm slow, and others will think I'm fast. Really, what does it matter?

Back to the games...
Knave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I check 3 times as a minimum. I also check off and on if I happen to be working on the computer, but 3 times is the minimum.

And again, it is not as if I am saying "meet these requirements or get off the site". This is not my site, I would have no right to say anything like that. I am just looking for people who are just as addicted as I am.. nothing else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: