SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forming: Fast Player's League
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Forming: Fast Player's League Reply with quote

The problem: Impossible to start a public fast game.
The solution: A group of people meeting strict criteria who play together.

The criteria
1. Average time per turn less than 4 hours for a "fast" game
2. Average time per turn less than 3 hours for a "very fast" game
3. Must never have abandoned a game

The rules
1. Anyone who wants to start a game posts the game name in this thread.
2. Password is "fast"
3. No vacations are allowed within the first 3 weeks of joining a game
4. Not allowed to take more than 24 hours for any one turn
5. Only allowed to exceed 18 hours once per game
6. Any player violates rules 3-5, PM me their name, and I will maintain a blacklist on this thread. If blacklisted players continue to join games (sadly very likely), we will move to a password PM'ed to those not on the blacklist.

FAQ
1. My average time is fast, I just go on vacations.

Good! Vacations are fantastic, but you are not a fast player. Please join games with other people who don't mind when a game stops suddenly for a few days

2. My average time is fast, but I was slow in the past.

Keep up the good work! If you continue to be fast, your average will drop below 4 hours soon enough.

3. My average time is 8 hours. That means I make 3 moves per day!

Not only are you not fast, but you are delusional and your math is faulty. Join games with other people who think that an 8 hour average is fast

4. What is the point of the 24 rule?

If you take more than 24 hours for a turn, you have drastically held up the game. If all players in the game think that you had a valid reason, then it will be accepted

5. what is the point of the 18 hour rule?

If you take more than 18 hours for a turn, you have drastically held up the game. If all players in the game think that you had a valid reason, then it will be accepted

6. Can't you just use the comment text to ask for fast players?

You would think so

The Blacklist

Empty!
Knave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Forming:

Name: FPL Amun Oct1
Pass: fast

Amun Re, 3-5 players
bearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you consider a vacation? Sometimes I mark myself as Away when I am traveling and don't have regular internet access, but I still try and check in for my games as I can from out of town. Would I get blacklisted instantly when I mark myself as Away during the first 3 weeks, even if I am makings moves in the game more than once a day?
Knave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be fine as long as you made your moves within 18 hours. If it takes more than 18 hours, then you probably really are on vacation, and probably should not have joined the game.

I am open to other interpretations of course. But that is the way I see it.
Kanga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the idea

we've tried similar things in the past, having "speedy games" etc. They were never very popular, and in the end not really much faster than the normal games anyway.

For a really fast game you need to take into account timezones, or more precisely, times online. We all sleep 8 hours a day assumedly, so no matter how fast you are if you make your move just as the next player goes to bed, there'll be a long delay.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good luck. Those whose times look great may always play with people in the same timezone ... which works fine if its your timezone and terribly if its not. Out of interest I just looked at my average (which is 4.1 hours), and I know that for at least the last year I have checked my games all day at work, in the evening until 2100, again between 0200-0300 giving an overnight bottle to my child, and starting the new day at 0600-0630 when the other got up.

Given that my average is still 4.1 ... and I check very regularly through the 24 hour period (without the 8 hour break most normal people have), I think you are basically saying you only want North American players who only play North American opponents (assuming thats where you live).

I was going to play, but don't qualify given my average, and living in Australia am very likely to fall foul of the 18 rule at some stage. No thanks!
smlait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Forming: Fast Player's League Reply with quote

Knave wrote:
2. My average time is fast, but I was slow in the past.

Keep up the good work! If you continue to be fast, your average will drop below 4 hours soon enough.

*grin* That all depends on how many turns you've taken. For players who've taken more than 10,000 turns (I'm at 14000+ and there are other players around here who have way more than that), your "average" turn time is pretty much carved in stone. Not that I have time to add a whole set more games right now; I'm just pointing out that you're automatically excluding a lot of the players who've been here a long time.

And, of course, there's the time zone issue which Kanga and Rebel noted. And whether you're a "play at work" person or a "play before/after work" person.

Suggestion: When you start one of these games, include your time zone in the comments and ask for people within a couple of time zones of you. It might help. I used to play Tikal with some players who advertized "Central Time working hours" in the comments section and those played quite quickly.
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Forming: Fast Player's League Reply with quote

smlait wrote:

*grin* That all depends on how many turns you've taken. For players who've taken more than 10,000 turns (I'm at 14000+ and there are other players around here who have way more than that), your "average" turn time is pretty much carved in stone.

A player who has been slow for 10,000 turns and then fast for 300 turns is a slow player with a minor (and recent) aberration. I do not want to play with such a player, because they will probably be slow.

Quote:
Not that I have time to add a whole set more games right now; I'm just pointing out that you're automatically excluding a lot of the players who've been here a long time.

It is entirely possible. However, as you pointed out above, the more turns you have played the more stable your average time. So, those players who have been here a long time and who have been slow most of the time, well... they will probably continue being slow.

Quote:
Suggestion: When you start one of these games, include your time zone in the comments and ask for people within a couple of time zones of you. It might help.

Probably not, most people do not even read the comments before they join games. I have started games with a comment of "must have played less than 20 games" and gotten people with 150+ games joining. If people can't even follow clear directions like that, I doubt they will work for something as (relatively) ambiguous as timezones.

Remember, the reason I'm stuck trying to do this is that I HAVE tried to start fast games, but slow people routinely (ie. at least one nimrod per game) ignore my comments and join. Since the community cannot be trusted to do the right thing, an alternative procedure is required.
kwojtasz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! Possibly adding the Timezone to the name could help too, so players know up front before signing up the area of the world the guy who set the game up was from so they have a better reference of fast with respect to that player.
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments:

1) 4 hours per turn is NOT slow. Think about it... say you're at work, and you can take a turn, say 5 times in a day... the average time on those turns is likely to be pretty low... say an hour for ease of math. Then, you go home, go to sleep, and check your games the next day at work... that turn will be probably 15 hours....that's an average of about 3 and 1/3 hours a turn (1 15, 5 ones). Toss in the occassional vacation and/or busy time, you're over 4 hours.

2) By making such requirements, you'll eliminating half the player pool, more or less... then your getting rid of another big chunk by requiring people to be around every day for the length of a game... you're gonna have alot of trouble finding people.

3) By making such a big fuss, you're just ASKING for people to join you games and be slow, on principle.

The point of the format of this site is to be able to play at leisure, when you have a few minutes... it's not designed to be real time.

I have, on occasion, created(and joined) games to play real time... I'd usually call it 'game in a night' Or 'Saturday night Special'.. some such. Sometimes people don't pay attention... but sometimes they do.

Create 3 of them when you start, that way you're pretty sure to get 1 that did.

Just make games, join them, and have fun. If a games going too slow, start 3 more, then you'll have something to do.. be better for your blodd pressure, too.

Very Happy
kwojtasz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of games to go around in my view. Close to 500 current Amun-Re games are happening all the time. If someone doesn't like the above criteria, there are alot of options available to them. No one is stopping them from playing in any of those other games.

What I believe this format is set up for is to give a fast track set of games available to the subset of people at the site which like faster moving games. It is not meant to cater to the majority of players at this site. I do not believe it is a knock on slower players either, but just a way of getting around the issues caused by people not reading the comments when previous attempts at faster games were tried.

Since the comments method didn't work, this is the next step in the progression of ideas on how one can create an "open" fast track game.
freduk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck, but I can't help feeling you'd be better off at BSW. That whole site caters for fast, real-time play. I think you're expecting this place to be something it's not, but still, good luck. I won't be joining these games, I'm almost comatose by your standards (6.5 hours).

Also, you may not realise it, but you really do come across as arrogant and condescending. I'm sure you don't mean to, but that could be one reason why you get so many prickly responses to your posts. Just saying... Wink
smlait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Forming: Fast Player's League Reply with quote

Knave wrote:
smlait wrote:

*grin* That all depends on how many turns you've taken. For players who've taken more than 10,000 turns (I'm at 14000+ and there are other players around here who have way more than that), your "average" turn time is pretty much carved in stone.

A player who has been slow for 10,000 turns and then fast for 300 turns is a slow player with a minor (and recent) aberration. I do not want to play with such a player, because they will probably be slow.

A player who has been around for 10,000+ turns and has an average turn time of 4-6 hours is not slow. They're taking turns on average 4-10 times a day, sometimes more. But they've taken the odd vacation and gotten stuck with the odd bugged game, giving a handful of *really* long turn times (waiting for mods to kill the dead game). They sleep 8 hours a day and get into the occasional game with other players who sleep for the other 16 hours a day.

Surely, it would be more accurate to ask for people who can finish a game within a day/week/fortnight. I guess, I'm just not understanding what time frame you're looking for here. I easily finish games in 1-3 weeks (depending on the game) if my opponent(s) check in regularly yet don't meet your average turn time criteria. Are you really looking for 2-day games? If so, you're not just looking to avoid "slow" players but "regular" players and even a large number of the "fast but not fast enough" players.

Knave wrote:
smlait wrote:
Suggestion: When you start one of these games, include your time zone in the comments and ask for people within a couple of time zones of you. It might help.

Probably not, most people do not even read the comments before they join games. I have started games with a comment of "must have played less than 20 games" and gotten people with 150+ games joining. If people can't even follow clear directions like that, I doubt they will work for something as (relatively) ambiguous as timezones.

I meant in the comments field of the "fast-games" games so that you're already filtering for speed.
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sir, are a knave.
HighwayStar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too complicated with all the restrictions. Make games for people with <4 hr turnaround or <3 hr turnaround. That will keep the speed of the games reasonable. Additionally, you could make time zone games...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: