SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tikal 4-Player tournament
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Tikal 4-Player tournament Reply with quote

I had been planning a Tikal tournament for a while, and this is not meant to compete with cterrell's Tournament of Champions, this is a little more open tournament, first come first in, 4 player Tikal tournament. It’ll be the standard random-draw non-auction variant.

The Tournament will be open to anyone who has at least 10 completed plays under their belt, and who can commit to playing out all their matches (between 4 and 16 games) within reasonable amounts of time.

The tournament will consist of 8 groups of 4 players.

Further, in each round, each group will play 4 matches at the same time, so if you can’t handle 4 matches at once, then please re-think entering.

The first 31 entrants to meet these criteria and post against this thread will form the tournament participants, if not I'll drop the # and we'll go from there. The last tournament drew well though and I'm hoping this does also.

Groups will be formed according to seedings. Seedings will be determined by the players’ “%win minimum 10 games” statistic at the time of the draw.

Match scoring will be the same as the last 32 man tournament:

1st round: 8 Groups of 4 players. Each group will play 4 matches within the group. Top 2 players from each group will proceed to the 2nd round.

2nd round (16 players now remaining): Top 2 players from each group will proceed to the semi finals.

Semi finals (8 players now remaining): Top 2 players from each semi-final will proceed to the final.

Final (the final four):Four games, high total wins.

Each group in each round will play 4 matches, with points allocated for finishing order, with finishing positions determining the number of points a player gets thus:

1st: 4 points
2nd: 3 points
3rd: 2 points
4th: 1 point

At the end of the 4 games, points will be totaled for the players in the group and the two players with the highest totals will progress to the next round.

Tie breaks will be decided by the player who has come 1st the most number of times in this round. If this is tied, the number of 1st places throughout the course of the tourney will be counted. If still tied, the winner will be decided by the players’ average scores over the matches played in the tourney.

After each game is completed, the winning player will PM me with the scores.

After all 4 matches from each group have been completed and the outcomes sent to me, I’ll post the results and the resulting draw for the next round.

The last tournament started at the beginning of March and lasted to the end of May. I'd like to pick the pace up a little for this tournament, so if you intend to have any significant breaks away from the computer over this period, please reconsider signing up (I’m not talking about a few days here and there – we all have a life after all and sometimes things pop up which we can’t control – but if there’s any anticipated extended delays perhaps you could reconsider)

Further, all entrants need to commit to playing out all their matches and should hopefully be able to make moves at least daily, if not more. Again, I’m not talking about the odd slow period we all get from time to time, but if you regularly only make moves twice a week or so given the volume of games involved in this tourney and the turns needing to be made, please think about the impact this would have on all the other players and the ramifications for the rest of the tournament.

Complaints about consistently excessively slow players may result in serial offenders being removed from the draw.

Now, in an effort to head off at the pass some likely banter regarding the format of the tournament, here are a couple of other points you should consider before signing up:

4 games per round. The format seemed to work well the last time, and multiple games should offset the random draw of the tokens.

Yes, these rules were mainly copied from Sedge's tournament rules found here and I think it would interesting to run 2 more tournament after this and have the 4 final winners play a 4-game Tikal-off. We'll see where things take us.

I'd like to run more Tikal tournaments here and hopefully this can be the start.

smlait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No auctions? Yay! Very Happy

I'm in.
cterrell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here, the more Tikal tournaments the better! Very Happy

Count me in please.

Also, to those reading this please check out the 2nd Annual Tournament of Champions thread if you are a long time player of Tikal (40+ wins) on this site. It's a shorter single-elim auction tourney for 16 players aimed at the folks who have played this game many times and wish to test their mettle against the other multiple winners. Winning player gets bragging rights and a new car, without the new car part. Wink

Thanks for organizing this Lefty,

Chris
Alashar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah! I was hoping someone would organize another non-auction tourney. Sign me up, please, and start the dig!
klingone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want play !!
BryJones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Tikal Reply with quote

Please count me in
Thanks
shampoon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in, please
danbar1963

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to play, thanks
skk7878

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in please
brianlcarr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in!
Brian
JM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, please
sedge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in too! Thanks lefty.
domster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in, please. Very Happy
Fritz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play
Wolfpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in, please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: