SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion: Auto-complete when no choice for player
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coyotek4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may offer a suggestion (and if such an option could be implemented);

Allow each individual player an option for the computer to automatically use certain cards; such an option can be toggled on (default) or off. Such an option would automatically use Bonus cards (a must!), as well as Harvest Increases and 8 Gold (in 'obvious' situations, as when a province would normally score 0 Gold). Other cards (like Bidding cards, Builder/Farmer cards, and Change Bid cards, are used in the course of a turn, so need no tinkering with).

I heard that some would like this to be a game option, but would it be possible (and possibly better) to make it a player-by-player option?
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have to look closer at several games to see how often it appears on someone's turn they had no options, though it would add up to more than 1/2 a day of delay.

Even your average time to move is 3.7 hours... in the most recent game you completed the averages for the other players in your game was two (2) whose profile says they take almost 14 hours, another 6.5 hours, and one person actually less than 2 hours.

That game ( http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=2013 ) took 12 days (not bad, I've had some take a month). But if those average times for a turn are accurate, and "no option" has occurred 1/2 a dozen times overall (I didn't see an easy well to tell from the gamelog), it would seem it could add up quick?
Golux13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in order to really make sense of those raw data, you'd have to factor in time zones and time of day. My average time for moves is affected by the fact that I sleep -- and hence do not check for moves -- between 6 and 8 hours out of every 24. You also have to factor in the effect of each player's time-between-moves on the times for the other players. I.e., if everyone is moving at the same pace (and is in the same or close time zone, I suppose), then everyone's average will drop. If Player A is checking in less frequently than everyone else, though, that holds up the other players and increases their average time per move.

All of which is to say that I think there is even less benefit to trying to figure out how much time is lost without auto-complete than there would be in implementing an auto-complete feature. If Mikael wants to implement it, I won't object, of course. But considering this site is modeled on PBeM, the fact that we can complete games within a couple of weeks is phenomenal, and as I noted before, I would rather see Mikael's efforts directed elsewhere.
Golux13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... on reflection, I think the one place where autocompletion would have a significant benefit with no strategic loss is where a player has no power cards at all. In that case, harvest/income or scoring, as appropriate, could be advanced with no downside.
Harmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the "Change the offering" action could be taken automatically (or just ignored) if neither +3 or -3 could affect the outcome of the total sacrifice.
cpsof95

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmy wrote:
Also the "Change the offering" action could be taken automatically (or just ignored) if neither +3 or -3 could affect the outcome of the total sacrifice.

That's true! Right now one game is waiting for one player to choose whether he wants to increase the sacrifice to 10, or decrease it to 4.

ZzzZZzZZzZzzzZZzZzz... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: