SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 player tournament signup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I run 3 player tournaments in a League format?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
No, stay with the stand alone tournament
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
whatever, just keep running something
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 37

NoMoreCheese

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a run at the bottom spot
rico44

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in.

It's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on a 3 player league. Alhough it's been said there is sometimes king-making involved when more than 2 players are involved, would that not happen less in a league environment where you tend to play with similar people each game?

Also, would those players not get a bad reputation, and get targeted themselves more frequently than other players?

So there are good arguments for staying with a tourney, but of course what the league gives you is a ranking, or at least a seeding for future tournaments. Without going completey to a league format or staying with a tournament format, you could have some ranked events for the hardcore players and more informal, casual, unranked events for the less serious Hacienda players. Just some thoughts...

Personally, I like to play fairly friendly and relaxed, but sometimes I do enjoy the competition. Some people tend to be more one category than the other of course, excepting the few brilliant amongst us who don't have to play too serious and still come out near the top. Wink
Wastl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in.
smlait

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t_o_m9 wrote:
I'll play, but with more than 2 players in the tournie, it leaves it open for too much kingmaking or bad moves to effect another player in the standings. I multiplayer games I already see times when I'm targeted and taken out the in the first couple of rounds.

Its true this happens Tom, but far less in 3p than you would think. In multiple tournaments I have felt hammered early in exactly 1 game ... the one you won in the recent small tourney. A couple of less than ideal moves have been made in other games, but no other blatant "picking on".

As long as everyone spends the majority of their time looking out for their own game ... and MAXIMISING their score ... NOT minimising another players score or affecting the eventual winner if they are definitely coming third (in this situation I feel the default moves for a player should be whatever maximises their score, not minimises someone elses, and DEFINITELY not just ... I've lost therefore I will buy out the animals move) then there is little problem.

In the 3p finals the issue of interference and kingmaking have been a far bigger problem! So far, every final I have been in players have chosen not to do something which in the end would have been unethical to further themselves in the overall tournament (after all its unlikely that the player coming third couldn't "gift" the player coming second a water in the right spot to change to outcome of a game, tie it up at 1 each and force a decider).

Long post to say overalldon't worry so much about it!
Dobinator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points, Rebelslayer, and generally the policy I'd follow. But if, say, somebody water-blocks me into third place, and I have a chance to get back at them somehow, I'm probably going to take that chance even if I have a lower third place score as a result. I don't play as an algorithm, I play as a person.

My bigger concern about making this a 3-player league is the map selection - I already don't really like playing three simultaneous identical games in the two player league, and to make the maps/variants balance out in 3 player, that could potentially be as bad or worse.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dobnator ... what goes around comes around ... by all means block them back ... but usually you wont have to as the relative cost of them blocking you will allow the uninvolved third player to win!

In furtherance ... if you are still in the hunt for the win and you have a choice of 2 markets to get, 1 of which will block one of your opponents from getting to that market, or if you have the chance to play a bigger water that will block one of you opponents from getting to a market without giving the third direct points, then by all means do that as well.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a code of conduct for tournament games would help new players to not step on toes?
lindalait

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too please!
kekeweb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in
gische

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In.
Kanga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobinator wrote:

My bigger concern about making this a 3-player league is the map selection - I already don't really like playing three simultaneous identical games in the two player league, and to make the maps/variants balance out in 3 player, that could potentially be as bad or worse.

If this was run as a league format, then the 3 player tournaments wuold be like the old ones, where each player plays a V0, V1, V1&2 and V2 game. All V0 games would be on the same map etc, so that each player plays each variant and each map once only.

Also, in terms of the kingmaking, I've almost never seen it used blatantly in 3 player. The reason for that is that blocking one player is usually hurting you as much, and the third player gets a big advantage. I can't recall too many (successful, at least) attempts to sabotage me.

If I am playing a game against a strong and a weaker opponent, I *will* watch closely what my stronger opponent is doing and it will influence my moves but I'll always make my moves based on what is best for me, not what is worst for the stronger player. As long as that is the guide, then there's no problems.
Kanga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump this up again. I think it's 24 players signed up.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanga wrote:

If I am playing a game against a strong and a weaker opponent, I *will* watch closely what my stronger opponent is doing and it will influence my moves but I'll always make my moves based on what is best for me, not what is worst for the stronger player. As long as that is the guide, then there's no problems.

Stronger opponents Kanga ... do you have to look over your shoulder often then? Shocked
mongo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sign me up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: