SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for new games for SbW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craniac wrote:
My personal wishlist:

Age of Steam
Through the Desert

Age of Steam wouldn't ever fly cuz posting the rules online is forbidden. Through the desert would be nice but many play it on lugadora.net along with Vinci although it's a French website.
freduk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still plugging Oasis...
craniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mrbass"][quote="craniac"]My personal wishlist:

Age of Steam
Through the Desert
[/quote]

Age of Steam wouldn't ever fly cuz posting the rules online is forbidden. Through the desert would be nice but many play it on lugadora.net along with Vinci although it's a French website.[/quote]

What if you cloned age of steam and gave it a new theme, kind of like "canal mania" ?

Bicycle Messenger would work, probably.
kevinb9n

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Power Grid would be an excellent, excellent addition!

The implementation of the power plant auction in the "ebay style" does have the problem described earlier, but I really think that people would be willing to just deal with that limitation. I know I would. If you want this capacity to say "bid X if I'm up against player Y, but Z otherwise", I think it's usually because you're trying to hurt the leader. But Power Grid already has enough mechanics built in to rein in the leader, so I think this is less of a concern here.

If not, you can implement it as an optional variant so that those who can't deal can just choose for their games to take longer instead. And if that dichotomy is too painful, then you could implement the feature like this:

Auto-bid up to ____ electros
then ( ) pass, or
( ) wait for my decision

with this issue solved, what are the other arguments against Power Grid?

It's on BSW, yes. But, it's a game that plays best with ~5 players, which can be hard to assemble at once on BSW, and then you need quite a chunk of time all at once to play.

If you buy the first plant up for auction you'll be sitting out for a while. Oh well, that's why you have multiple games going in parallel, right? When playing real-time, you have to sit there for several minutes doing nothing and you can't be playing other games in parallel, so it's worse there.

what else?

On the other hand there are many pro's Smile

The main thing is that the game offers a great depth of analysis, tactical choices and strategic planning that you usually never get to enjoy when playing real-time because it simply takes a while to think through it all. I think I could definitely elevate my understanding and appreciation of the game if I really had the opportunity to think as long as I wanted on each turn.

It has no existing pbw implementation, and the number of active-player-changes in a game really isn't THAT bad (with the ebay-like variant). And it's rated astronomically highly by BGG users... I think this would definitely bring more users to the site.

Please do this one Smile

thanks for listening.

K
kevinb9n

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primordial Soup - would be great, I think. But aren't there some genes, like Holding, that let one player make a decision during another player's turn? I can't see how that could work in this form.

Puerto Rico - it's true that pr-game.com has a fine implementation. But you might consider it anyway, because pr-game seems to be pretty stagnant and not evolving with any new features, just in maintenance mode. If you implemented it here perhaps you could add the expansion buildings, which would be soooo wonderful and which I don't think will ever happen at pr-game. Also I think your user base is 10x the size.

Modern Art - what about Modern Art? The "open auction" would have the same issues described in the last post about Power Grid.

Blokus? This suggestion may be surprising, but when I think about it, it seems like this might work really well. You could really get a chance to strategize.

What about two-player games - like Hive... Jambo... LOTR:Confrontation...

ok, that's all I gots for now.
ebots_mind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Two Cents Reply with quote

Serenissima and T & E would be good additions to this site. I would also put in my vote to see them added if they do work with this interface.
spearjr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Cents Reply with quote

ebots_mind wrote:
Serenissima and T & E would be good additions to this site. I would also put in my vote to see them added if they do work with this interface.

T&E is available at Boardgamegeek.com, but the interface is nowhere near as polished as here.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mrbass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinb9n wrote:
Primordial Soup - would be great, I think. But aren't there some genes, like Holding, that let one player make a decision during another player's turn? I can't see how that could work in this form.

Puerto Rico - it's true that pr-game.com has a fine implementation. But you might consider it anyway, because pr-game seems to be pretty stagnant and not evolving with any new features, just in maintenance mode. If you implemented it here perhaps you could add the expansion buildings, which would be soooo wonderful and which I don't think will ever happen at pr-game. Also I think your user base is 10x the size.

Modern Art - what about Modern Art? The "open auction" would have the same issues described in the last post about Power Grid.

Blokus? This suggestion may be surprising, but when I think about it, it seems like this might work really well. You could really get a chance to strategize.

What about two-player games - like Hive... Jambo... LOTR:Confrontation...

ok, that's all I gots for now.

Modern Art there is a freeware PC version you can play against bots.

blokus is on blokus.com
also ingenious is here
http://www.marquand.net/staticpages/index.php?page=ingenious

Hive is on http://www.boardspace.net/english/index.shtml either against AI or human....needn't register unless you wish to rank.

LOTR Confrontation doubt the license is available....because not only does Knizia have to say OK but also whoever is in charge of LOTR license and I highly doubt they'll say ok.
ges

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I play T&E at the BGG site, but would love to see a better version here on SBW.
kevinb9n

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
Modern Art there is a freeware PC version you can play against bots.

Aw, playing against bots is no fun and certainly isn't enough of a reason for me to go out and buy a Windows machine.

mrbass wrote:
blokus is on blokus.com

Yeah I know... I just wish sometimes for a Blokus game where I could think for a really long time about each move. There's so much to think about... I think it could be a more enjoyable game for me that way.

mrbass wrote:
Hive is on http://www.boardspace.net/english/index.shtml either against AI or human....needn't register unless you wish to rank.

Yeah, again, I'm aware, I'm just in love with the play-by-web format. Smile

mrbass wrote:
LOTR Confrontation doubt the license is available....because not only does Knizia have to say OK but also whoever is in charge of LOTR license and I highly doubt they'll say ok.

Exactly how I felt, but to my surprise, the developer of another gaming site told me that he did actually get full clearance to do this game, but can't just because he doesn't have the time.

thanks for responding!

K
lord_nelson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTR:C has already been implemented on the A.C.T.S. site

I think Louis XIV would make a good PBW game.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Golux13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just played it for the first time last night, I think Antike would be a good game for the SbW format. Each turn is one action (and only a few actions have sub-actions), and there is not a huge amount of downtime between turns. The game a is a bit long, but not too long to maintain a play-by-web version.
mrbass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinb9n wrote:

mrbass wrote:

Exactly how I felt, but to my surprise, the developer of another gaming site told me that he did actually get full clearance to do this game, but can't just because he doesn't have the time.

thanks for responding!

K

Wow then heck that'd be great...the LOTR Confrontation Deluxe is Fantasy Flight so if someone contacts them. Last I heard was they shut down Age of Thrones because Fantasy Flight wanted someway to only allow registered users who purchased the game to play. So who knows.
kevinb9n

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lord_nelson wrote:
LOTR:C has already been implemented on the A.C.T.S. site

A.C.T.S.? Should I know what that is? Got a link for us? Smile

K
mrbass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/

http://www.vassalengine.org/

http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: