SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petulant Child
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Petulant Child Reply with quote

I set up a game for fast players. This guy Steve joined the game. There were two immediately blatant problems.

1) Steve had already held up another game I was playing for a long time.
2) He had an average turn time that was more than the other 4 players in the game combined.

I made my displeasure very evident, and Steve announced that he will let the game go abandoned now, as a way to punish me.

I have three questions.

1) Since he publicly stated that he intends to abandon, and we haven't really started, can we get the game removed somehow? I do not really mind his abandoning since it is early in the game, but I feel bad for the other players caught in this mess.
2) Is there any way to stop people from joining games?
3) Is there any way that a game could not start until the creator gives the go ahead? Obviously, if I had seen that Steve had joined, I would not have started the game, since I did not want to play with him.
daveszum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Petulant child Reply with quote

I have had similar experiences with a similar Nom de Guerre. I would suggest the passworded games if you have a low tolerance threshold. If someone intentionally abandons a game, report that person to Milksheikh. I am not familiar with the stringence of the rules of this site, but he is the administrator.
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have been down this road before Sad
http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1576
docaction

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stargate wrote:
we have been down this road before Sad

On the road again...... Laughing
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been at least 3 months Stargate ... these things have a lifecycle of their own! Laughing
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I have just read what the op says in the actual game to Steve, think I would have abandoned it too. There's no need to be as rude as you were, or a petulant.
Maccheek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Averages Reply with quote

Averages can be misleading without knowing the something about the distribution. Steve may well normally manage two turns a day but with occasional long gaps for example. My own distribution is almost certainly bimodal with a very quick daytime response half the time but mainly evening play the rest.

I notice neither you nor Steve say where you are in the world in your profiles. You'll probably get a better turn around time if you are playing with people in roughly the same timezone, although it's no guarantee.

Seems a silly thing to have a spat over, just start another game.
Knave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned, aside from cheating, there is no valid reason to abandon a game. In this case, Steve might have a bone of contention with me. I insulted him, and he resents my truthtelling Cool

But, there is no reason to do this to the other 3 innocent players in the game. He has a range of behaviours he can use to get back at me, and I feel his choice in fairly selfish.

Now, that said cobra, I would like to know how you would have handled the situation. Remember, Steve already stalled one of my other games, and then he joins this one knowing full well that he has no intention of meeting the time constraints. So, tell me, what was I to do? Calmly accept the situation?

As a sidenote, not allowing me to use BBCode is annoying.
freduk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave wrote:
then he joins this one knowing full well that he has no intention of meeting the time constraints.

Not sure how you come to this conclusion. You asked for 2 turns a day. How do you know Steve had no intention of doing this? Having an average time of 11 hours has absolutely no bearing. It seems, from reading the in-game messages that you set about Steve before the game even started. I'm afraid that to the neutral observer, it's you that's coming across as the petulant one.
Knave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you missed the part where he already stalled another game that I was in. Couple with the 11 hour average time, you don't have to be much of a precog to figure out where this one was going.
daveszum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Petulance Reply with quote

Petulance is like flatulance. It only smells bad when it is someone else's Twisted Evil In any case, I still suggest the passworded games. In any community this size, there are always going to be severe personality conflicts. If you can't let it go, then don't play with him. The only way to guarantee that he will not appear in your game is to play a passworded one. Stargate, that was a pretty funny link........ Laughing
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, serious deja vu!! Shocked Hey Bob, would like to participate in a Hacienda game with the New Hampshirites?
daveszum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Inside joke? Reply with quote

Inside joke?
stargate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Bill >> yes I would Smile

to daveszum >> yes it is Smile
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave wrote:

Now, that said cobra, I would like to know how you would have handled the situation. Remember, Steve already stalled one of my other games, and then he joins this one knowing full well that he has no intention of meeting the time constraints. So, tell me, what was I to do? Calmly accept the situation?

Since you asked, personally, I would have sent him a private message and just asked him if he was going to be able to meet your time constraints. I'd have done it in a friendly but firm manner, certainly without asking him if he was illiterate.
I try to extend the same courtesy to someone on the internet as I woudl if we were playing face to face, no one need keyboard heroes to dampen their day.

Looking at the logs of the game you mention, Steve doesn't look like the guilty party to me, he appears to have made his goes in a perfectly reasonable manner, certainly within a day of it being his go. Cut the guy some slack. Can you honestly say that if this was face to face you would have spoken to him in the same manner? (if the answer is yes, then please avoid me at any conventions)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: