SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature Request - visible current scores

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rorshaq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Feature Request - visible current scores Reply with quote

please forgive if this has alreday been asked -

in vanilla and v1 games would it be possible to show the current scores somewhere to save having to add up all the scores especially towards the end of games where u need to know whether to end the game or not. it just gets really annoying doing the maths all the time, cheers
cpsof95

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I definitely agree.
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree Smile

for people who want to know the scores -- play Variant 2

not knowing the scores in the other variants is part of the
challenge of playing Hacienda
cpsof95

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that you know the scores, it just takes a few minutes of time which could be used for playing some other SBW games, for example.
still

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually like to have ease-of-use features as well but Stargate makes a good point. Making a manual count, while time consuming, can also be error prune and, thus, introduces another skill factor in the game. Albeit, a rather simply skill. I know that I've miss counted in several games and, as a result, made decisions that both won and lost me the game.

I could see adding a feature to show just YOUR score since this is sometimes displayed at the end of your turn anyway. However, display your opponents score is "part of the game" for you to figure out in non-variant 2 games.

Just me 2 cents...
Mabi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature Request - visible current scores Reply with quote

rorshaq wrote:
it just gets really annoying doing the maths all the time

rorshaq, I totally agree with you, but at least in Hacienda it's not much of a problem: just play variant 2, which is the same as standard but with open scores.
In Santiago instead... Crying or Very sad
rorshaq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in ftf games sure the adding up is part of the game but things are different here - online u have as much time as you want for your turn so error free addition is trivial but time consuming and that is never a nice combination.

and as for only playing v2 that's not an option in the tournaments and leagues

Quote:
In Santiago instead...

yeah completely sympathize - it's y i stopped playing it on here

oh and great site btw mabi Smile tho i think u might wanna advertise it on here more cos i only found it by accident thru the geek
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, variant 2 is totally different than variant 1 or 0, even if the score was shown. A 10 pt deficit at the first scoring means you have to outscore your opponent by 20 pts in the 2nd round just to break even, while in V2 you can bide your time until the end. That is part of the strategy in V0 and V1, is to be mindful of the score and play at a quick pace, so the casual observer will get caught offguard and be really behind. You also don't need to know the exact score, I just scan for equal markets touched, equal land tiles placed and equal water scoring.
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bob. I almost never add up scores; I just play. And I like it that way. I'll keep an eye on things like board position but if you're focusing on what's the best move for you, you really don't need to know the exact score.
Kanga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind either way, but given a choice I'd keep it hidden. It is part of the skill of the game, and even if you can do the scoring, I find that part quite enjoyable. And despite many hundreds of games, I still get the scoring wrong often enough to make it feel like a skill.

I've played on yucata with the open scoring, it didn't do anything for me at all.

Playing only variant 2 is missing most of the fun and most of the skill of Hacienda.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V0 and V1 would lose some of their skill with open scoring. I don't think anyone, even the most avid counter, does it every turn.

I know I've lost games due to counting wrong, and due to not counting, and won games where the other guy failed to count and finish the game!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: