SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed of Play in Amun Re Leagues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaditus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Speed of Play in Amun Re Leagues Reply with quote

A number of players have complained about slow play in the leagues.

I would prefer to play a little faster myself, but I am happy to wait a little so that more players can be involved.

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter then please add them here.
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally complain when a player at least marks themselves out on vacation, but when you wait several days for a turn with no indication of when your next move is it gets frustrating.
Alexfrog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer if they were faster, even if it means having to exclude people who either have vacations without internet or consistently slow players.

With your new system, a player can sit out one time due to a vacation without being hurt much, and get back in next time.
wtf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexfrog wrote:
With your new system, a player can sit out one time due to a vacation without being hurt much, and get back in next time.

That doesn't exclude slow players Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Gaditus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this helps but ...

I intend to run the 5 player league on a two monthly schedule, the 3 player on a 6/7 week schedule and the 'fast' 4 player on a monthly basis.

The 5 player league will start on the 15th of odd months and the 3 player will start on 22nd of August, 8th of October, 22nd December etc. The 4 player league will continue to start on the 1st of the month.

I may have to adjust the dates slightly if I go on holiday myself!
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having a 'fast' league and a 'slow' league works.. that way people who get aggravated have an option Smile
Alexfrog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had got in on the fast 4 player at the beginning, but I was already playing as many games as I wanted to with the 5 and 3 players. It takes too long to climb up to the top of these things, so at this point I'm not interested in joining it anymore Sad Shouldve jumped in when it started.
Gaditus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexfrog wrote:
I wish I had got in on the fast 4 player at the beginning, but I was already playing as many games as I wanted to with the 5 and 3 players. It takes too long to climb up to the top of these things, so at this point I'm not interested in joining it anymore Sad Shouldve jumped in when it started.

The 4 player league only has 5 divisions and new players start with 500 points usually in division 3 so it shouldn't take too long to get up to the top division.

It is harder in the other leagues as new players start at the bottom and there are many more divisions - however the new scoring method should make it easier to move up quickly (especially if you win all your games).

Hopefully, with the intended staggering of start times the number of games shouldn't become too much of a problem.
freduk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, speed of play doesn't bother me at all. I'm in plenty of games, so when I log in, there's usually something to do.
If players want fast games, they can always request them. Otherwise, just take your turns when they come around. It's not worth getting wound up over. Cool
Knave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:

If players want fast games, they can always request them.

Unfortunately, this is completely untrue. When I first came to this site, I would ask people to be fast, and slow people would join the game. I would specify an "average turn time" cutoff, and people would ignore it. Not only that, people on this forum reacted as if I had no right to even ask for a maximum turn time, as if it was utter blasphemy to even dare to expect people to follow the guidelines of a particular game as it was set up.

The best of course was Beast, who joined a "fast" game of mine, despite missing the stated speed cutoff by more than 100%. Of course, it was also a newbie game, (I was a newbie at the time) and Beast had something like 100 games under his belt, but that didn't stop him either.

Another winner was Steve von Laucida (something like that) who abandoned a bunch of games that I was in (on purpose), with the blessing of the regulars on this forum. It was quite shocking. I think it was stargate (or perhaps rseulow, I forget) who opined that I really had no basis to complain because I was a newbie and Steve was a respected elder.

This site has absolutely zero respect for commented guidelines in games. Unless the game is passworded, you can expect that people will join no matter what you actually say. To suggest otherwise, to suggest that there is a modicum of understanding at this site, is to really really really stretch the truth, if it is not an outright falsehood.

The major exception to all this is Gaditus, the 4-player fast league is really a godsend, and the top divisions for the 3-player league move at a reasonable clip as well. I am able to enjoy games again, without having to join so many that I lose track of those that I am playing.
Dvd Avins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ladders move at a reasonable clip. My rule is that you should play nearly every day, with no vacations of more than a week during the expected duration.

As far as I know, that rule has been respected. I don't want knave's generalization of his experience to persuade others that a lassez-faire attitude to such rules is the norm, even where it's not. Non-passworded games seem to be the home of (among others) folks who clikc to join without even bothering to read the comments. Passworded games as far as I know, and ladder and league games I'm pretty sure, have real norms. If you won't abide by those norms, don't join.
wtf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
If players want fast games, they can always request them. Otherwise, just take your turns when they come around. It's not worth getting wound up over. Cool

Passworded games aren't an option when you are newbie to this site!!! Who do think is going to join your passworded games if you know nobody? A lot of players join non-passworded and don't respect the fast or turn around times posted in the comments.
gische

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with freduk re: game speeds. I play enough games that I don't really care how long they take, as long as they actually get completed.

I agree with Knave that simply requesting certain playing speeds doesn't work because there's nothing stopping a user from ignoring it. OTOH, I think he is well exaggerating the response from the community. I don't recall much in the way of defending Beast nor Steve, the most common reply said "yeah it sucks, just start another game."

Of course, he's had that thread probably half a dozen times by now, so I might have missed one or two of them.. Wink
gische

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf wrote:
Passworded games aren't an option when you are newbie to this site!!! Who do think is going to join your passworded games if you know nobody? A lot of players join non-passworded and don't respect the fast or turn around times posted in the comments.

It's true. So play a bunch of games, get to know some players you like playing with, and before you know it you'll be able to create your own passworded games, inviting only players that you want to play with.

Seriously, this problem gets way overblown.
jmucchiello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gische wrote:
It's true. So play a bunch of games, get to know some players you like playing with, and before you know it you'll be able to create your own passworded games, inviting only players that you want to play with.

Seriously, this problem gets way overblown.

Except I don't want to play the same players over and over. I do that face to face. It would be nice if the speed requirements could be programmed. Or if the creator of a game had the right to bar other players from his games (don't like it, make your own game). Not that I expect any programming to happen on this site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: