SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spiel Firefox extension?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hermes88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Spiel Firefox extension? Reply with quote

I'd love it if someone would make a firefox extension that tells me when I have a move to make in one of my Spielbyweb games. It could be modeled after gmail notifier (where it shows how many games you need to move in, and when you click on it, it takes you to your "my games" page).

Any programmers out there up to this?
nunocordeiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people out there wanting this thing? I can't really see the point of it but it sounds easy.... I've never done a FF extension before so I could waste something like a week of free time on this (6 hours - possibly more).

If there really is demand for this I'll look into it. At the very least I could easily make a greasemonkey script.
bearsfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use such an extension if someone created it. I do spend a fair amount of time checking to see if I have a turn to do, so it would be useful. I wouldn't think it is worth spending a week of your time on unless you want to learn how to create an extension for some other purpose. Plus, there may be a hassle in having to update it to maintain compatibility with future Firefox versions.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could also be a strain on the system. It would constantly check for your games, on all pages, not just SBW. Not sure it's a great idea.
nunocordeiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanMC wrote:
This could also be a strain on the system. It would constantly check for your games, on all pages, not just SBW. Not sure it's a great idea.

Actually it wouldn't work like that. It would be a global extension which would poll the website from time to time (let's say every 15 minutes) and open a pop up saying it's your turn on X games. Possibly it would have an icon on the bottom status bar where you could easily enable and disable the thing (If your busy you don't want a pop up every 15 minutes).

I'd take my time to do it and it would be no big deal. Already did some scripts for greasemonkey and those were very easy.

My conditions:
1 - I want authorization from the site admin. Polling the site every 15 minutes could add some load... on the other hand, if it prevents people from checking every five minutes it could remove some load.
2 - I want a user base. If 30 people say "I'll use that" then I'll start seeing if it's an easy job.

My opinion:
I wouldn't use it. The site already has the second best solution: e-mail. You can setup an account or a filter/label on GMail and you'll always be informed. The best solution would be some form of RSS or something similar. You subscribe to the feed, and the site is the one informing you when you have games. No polling necessary.
ontangent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go with rss feed of all your games plus use inforss for FF as gives you a little ticker of rss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: