SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hidden Gold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Hidden Gold Reply with quote

I am quite sure that Gold should be hidden in Amun-Re. There is a couple places on BGG that say so, obviously the rules are a bit iffy, but the fact that the money cards in the game are identical in look to the Power Card backs makes it seem like that should be the case.
brahman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gold is perfectly trackable, however, so in this format, it is easy for everyone to keep track at home . If that is the case I think it is just easier to have the computer do it for you and keep it open.
100%Blade

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same argument as, for example, open scores in Tigris & Euphrat. Some groups will prefer to play with scores/money open whilst others like them hidden. The E&T implementation on the Geek got round this by offering both options when the game was created. is this a possibility Mikael?

fwiw my own preference is mixed. I prefer cards hidden when playing ftf and open when pbw.
Hubajube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This argument is bound to crop up in Reef Encounter too!
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it CAN be tracked doesn't mean it should be handed to the user

Though more difficult without a great memory, you can keep track in a face-to-face game as well -- but people don't play with their money face up and with a separate pile of face-down power cards.

I realize this is a different medium than a face-to-face game and the slower pace makes almost everything trackable, but I think having number of power cards + gold hidden is an important part of the game.

I like the idea of having the option to do either: if you trust the people you play with to not go to extraordinary means to track everything, then you can play with it hidden. If you prefer it open, or don't think you can trust your group, you can play with it open.
Mabi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion any trackable information must be open in play-by-web games. In face to face gaming you always have an idea about other players money. Even if you don't memorize the exact values, you know who is rich and who is poor, who has spent a fortune to get that valuable province and who has been collecting a lot of income the last 2 rounds. But here people are playing many games at the same time, all of them lasting several days or even weeks: how can you rememeber anything? You would be forced to do your own book-keeping, or constantly browse the logs, or just play blindly.

Furthermore, I don't see any problem at all with open money. It's different, but actually I think it's better. In face to face games this kind of info is kept hidden only to avoid analysis-paralysis, but here AP is not an issue.

On BGG there is the hidden score option for Tigris & Euphrates, but the vast majority of games are played with open score. So I think that adding the option here would be a lot of work and very little value.
brahman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Just because it CAN be tracked doesn't mean it should be handed to the user

Though more difficult without a great memory, you can keep track in a face-to-face game as well -- but people don't play with their money face up and with a separate pile of face-down power cards.

In ftf games I do play with the information hidden, however, it is very easy to keep track of it. I don't find 2 variables for each of 4 other players difficult. I wouldn't expect that to be handed to you in a ftf game, because that is one of the skills you bring to the table.

Otoh, I cant do that on a pbw format because of the length between turns involved and the fact I usually have quite a few games going on at the same time. My memory is not even close to being able to handle that. Yet since I can keep track of it in a ftf game, I would also want that info in a pbw game so I would take all of two seconds to jot it down on scratch paper. As long as I would do that, I would just as soon have the computer do it for me because I am lazy --- plus it makes everyone level in that area. Smile

I don't consider that as cheating or violating the spirit of the game, anymore than in some pbw chess games I will write down tendencies of opponents I see during a game---something I would know in a ftf game, but something I can't remember when running several games at once over the web--- but I guess some might consider it bad form.

I certainly am not going to tell other people how to play, however. If people prefer closed info and promises that they won't jot down information, I am not going to start a crusade against it Smile An option for either would certainly make it good for everyone.

The most important thing is that everyone has fun--- happy gaming!
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both make some good points. After giving it some thought, I really don't think that hidden money would work here. What really convinced me is that the lapse between turns is just too long to have any kind of memory, specific or general, for how much money the players have.

There's definitely a need to provide enough information so that a player can re-enter the game after being away for several hours and easily get his bearings. I don't think this would be possible without a gamelog and open money.

If this were on a live gameserver, like BSW, then I would want the money and bonus cards hidden, since a game would last less than 30 mins and it would be much easier to track money and cards turn to turn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: