SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blatant King Making in last round!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stargate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t_o_m9 wrote:
IBX wrote:
As the person who invited Dobinator to this board and brought upon him this addiction we call spielbyweb, I can vouch for Dobinator's character. He is far and away one of the most honorable people I know, and I don't say that lightly in today's day and age.

Interesting comment, when only a week or two ago his Avatar was a hand giving us the bird.... Rolling Eyes

that was someone else (doc.......) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes not IBX
docaction

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stargate wrote:
t_o_m9 wrote:
IBX wrote:
As the person who invited Dobinator to this board and brought upon him this addiction we call spielbyweb, I can vouch for Dobinator's character. He is far and away one of the most honorable people I know, and I don't say that lightly in today's day and age.

Interesting comment, when only a week or two ago his Avatar was a hand giving us the bird.... Rolling Eyes

that was someone else (doc.......) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes not IBX

Now I know where the complain came from Wink
daveszum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Is there anything really wrong with this? Reply with quote

Do we really believe that there is anything really wrong with deciding who wins a game when you cannot? I would have a difficult time letting someone win who knocked me out of the game in the first place. I suppose if there were constant collusion (ie. your best friend and you always help each other), then I might see a problem, but, to be honest, even that is not insurmountable. People usually pick up on it and make adjustments. This is one of the reasons why I posted about table talk earlier. Sometimes I also observe moves that really do not benefit the one making the move but someone else in a big way and want to point it out and form a counter alliance. I have also been the beneficiary of such moves, even though I really did not know who the person was (other than a name and avatar). But then again, I am accustomed to a very socialized game environment where this happens openly and all the time. It adds a dimension that we found quite enjoyable. It also taught us diplomacy skills. Of course, those lacking such skills may not be so happy about this.....
Kanga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there anything really wrong with this? Reply with quote

daveszum wrote:
Do we really believe that there is anything really wrong with deciding who wins a game when you cannot?

Absolutely, this is the worst form of gamesmanship and has no place in any gaming environment I've been in, and I'm certain that it would not be acceptable in this site.

If we accept kingmaking then games such as Santiago are pointless playing. It would be very very easy in Santiago to choose the winner, if you are willing to sacrifice your own chances. Why bother playing at all if this is what you want?
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stargate wrote:
t_o_m9 wrote:
IBX wrote:

My mistake. That was docation with the Avatar, not dobinator.

I would agree with Kanga also. What's the point of playing if you aren't going to try to win? That reminds me of supressed memories of Risk as a kid....
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingmaking -- One who has the political power to influence the selection of a candidate for high public office

To continue with this analogy in this discussion, the strongest accusation that could be made is that a peasant aided his lord in battle. I.E. a better accusation would be collusion rather than kingmaking.

Personally, everybody on some level in any given game could be guilty of kingmaking if they don't win. Trying to score the most points possible, every single game, even if you will lose, is not proof of kingmaking; even if you "aide" one person more than another is not an absolute of kingmaking or collusion.

But then again, I don't win very often and have a tendency to try to thwart whomever is in the lead to make the finish more exciting, when I'm confident of my loss.
freduk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collusion implies that both parties benefit from the situation. Kingmaking (especially in gaming terms) implies that one person decides who the winner will be when they have no chance of winning themselves.
Santiago is susceptible to this, as someone with no chance of winning can offer a huge bribe on the last turn just so that the Canal Overseer gets a huge influx of cash and beats someone else who would otherwise have won.
It can be a problem, when a game is very close between 2 players who have both played well, and a third player who has fallen out of the running has the power to decide on the last turn who they want the winner to be. In my view the third player should leave well alone and let the other two battle it out. Other people see nothing wrong with someone who hasn't played well just decideing who they want to be king.

I'm rambling. I'll stop. Rolling Eyes
pallidcreatures

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't always leave the situation alone though. You have got to play a move and that move will almost always influence the dynamic of the game in some way.

Coming from a dispute resolution background, I like the suggestion above that Kingmaking means you have to exercise diplomacy, or at the very least courtesy, throughout the whole course of the game - and once it has finished also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Santiago All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: