SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blatant King Making in last round!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Blatant King Making in last round! Reply with quote

I thought it might me interesting to start a post to register those who choose to finish this game by deciding who will win in the last round when they can't. This game suffers from this problem more than most games I have ever played.

I feel that it is a pathetic thing to do ... isn't playing and doing YOUR best the whole idea of a board game?

For an example, and the first name for the register, look at game 36405 between Dobinator, Crygen and myself.

In the last round an offer of 4 was made by Dobinator to Crygen which didn't water any of Dobinator's tiles (although gave him a chance to use his extra canal to water one if I didn't use mine first ... yes ... hightly unlikely in the final round). It also had the effect of giving Crygen the win over me by 1 point ... with Dobinator coming a distant third by 20 points!

I will be avoiding Dobinator whenever possible in the future ... maybe other would like to do the same and hopefully convice people that this isnt the type of play we want to see on this site!

Crying or Very sad
Dobinator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you're apparently enraged. There was a shot to get my two potatoes watered in the upper left and score me ten more points. I was trying to keep that hope alive; I hadn't done the math to figure out whether it would let one of you win or the other. I should also have caught the fact that you'd play your free canal first even though it didn't benefit you much, but I only learned the only-one-free-canal rule last week, and I've only been playing Santiago in earnest for a month or so.

Newbie move; there was a rationale behind it that would have left me better off; I'm sorry it affected the game; I wasn't trying to throw it to anybody.

You might also consider that launching a whole forum topic to denounce me might be taking this a little too seriously.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must admit it looks very suspect when I offered nothing and you offered 4 ... which happens to be JUST enough to give Crygen the game by 1 point.

Why not offer 1, 2 or 3 ... any of which would have been enough given that Crygen had nothing that he needed to water to gain him any points. Confused

I hope it was a newbie move and mistake ... but the evidence suggests otherwise, Wink
Dobinator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know you or Crygen as anything other than a name on a page. What motivation would I have to give the game to anybody? I was playing a lot of turns in a row, and maybe not paying enough attention to do the right thing. I've also had a pretty crappy last few days.

Frankly, your accusations and this whole posting are pretty offensive.
rseulow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rebelslayer -

Exactly how much money did you have riding on this game?

Get over it.
SunLion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the point at which I miss the facility that BGG has for giving a thumbs up to a particular post. I think rseulow would be getting a whole bunch of them about now for that last comment, if the facility were available.

There may well be people who would king-make in the way stated above, but there is any number of things that affect how someone plays a game. There will also be folks who are newbies to the game, make silly slips, are tired, drunk, depressed, paranoid or simply bad at one game and good at others. I am not saying that any of these things relate specifically to Rebleslayer of Dobinator, just that everyone is different and most of us don't know each other well enough to be able to assign motives.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Dobinator has completed 16 games of Santiago and I have only completed 13 ... who's the newbie?

As I said in an earlier post, I hope that I have misinterpreted Dobinator's intentions ... I have never played a game of Santiago with him before ... but right up until that last move he/she played a good game, and was only coming last due to bad luck with tile order in the auctions.

I'm not going to waste my time to see how he/she played other games and if the last move was as far out of the character of the way he/she played this game as in other games. To tell you the truth I don't really care. You will never convince me it was a random click, and I'm not going to waste time convincing others that it wasn't.

I was angry when I logged in and saw the result ... now I don't really care!

Enjoy your games people ... and play them to the best of your ability and luck!
mdfreeman7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunLion wrote:
This is the point at which I miss the facility that BGG has for giving a thumbs up to a particular post. I think rseulow would be getting a whole bunch of them about now for that last comment, if the facility were available.

There may well be people who would king-make in the way stated above, but there is any number of things that affect how someone plays a game. There will also be folks who are newbies to the game, make silly slips, are tired, drunk, depressed, paranoid or simply bad at one game and good at others. I am not saying that any of these things relate specifically to Rebleslayer of Dobinator, just that everyone is different and most of us don't know each other well enough to be able to assign motives.

Exclamation (Here is a thumbs up)
stargate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Exclamation
Thumbs Up
for both rseulow & SunLion
IBX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the person who invited Dobinator to this board and brought upon him this addiction we call spielbyweb, I can vouch for Dobinator's character. He is far and away one of the most honorable people I know, and I don't say that lightly in today's day and age. I can guarantee you that he wasn't playing favorites in any way. I can't really speak to the actual situation, because I've never played a single game of Santiago, but I would wager all things most dear to me that the reasons Dobinator gave for making the move are, IN FACT, the reasons he made the move.

We ALL don't understand moves made by our opponents in a game from time to time (I'm in a 5 player Hacienda game where it seems one of my opponents sole purpose was to torpedo me. He and I are doing terribly and the other three are continuing to play on)...but to go from confusion and imply that someone has nefarious motives, well let's be reasonable.

If it will make you feel better, when I search 'records' I will place an asterisk next to Rebelslayer and Crygen and remember to appropriately adjust winning percentages by one tick in each direction.
IBX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, Dobinator is also too honorable to go into detail about the 'difficult week' he has had. I can vouch for this and would go as far as to say that if most of us went through what he did this week, we wouldn't have had the same patience and restraint Dobinator had when attacked by some over-competitive opponent on the internet.

In the spirit of the season, Merry Chrismakwanzikkuah everyone. Happy Festivus.

Game on.
cterrell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly there WAS a newbie move and a mistake.

That mistake being the original post.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nothing to see here guys. Move along, move along.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant King Making in last round! Reply with quote

Rebelslayer wrote:
...much snippage of unfounded accusations... Crying or Very sad

Quit your whining, especially in a public forum. The guy made a mistake, it happens. And I'd suggest you avoid playing any games with me, cuz I make mistakes too.
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote the famous orator Rodney King "Can't we all just get along!"
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBX wrote:
As the person who invited Dobinator to this board and brought upon him this addiction we call spielbyweb, I can vouch for Dobinator's character. He is far and away one of the most honorable people I know, and I don't say that lightly in today's day and age.

Interesting comment, when only a week or two ago his Avatar was a hand giving us the bird.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Santiago All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: