SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Average scores for Tikal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smlait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I wasn't after the geekgold. Now, I've properly thanked you for the avatar! Very Happy
stargate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smlait wrote:
Don't worry, I wasn't after the geekgold. Now, I've properly thanked you for the avatar! Very Happy

your welcome Very Happy
sedge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Olrik"]where do you get these stats?[/quote]

Olrik,

all you have to do is send an email to SBW admin with the title containing the phrase "enable statistical logging" and then once activated, up on the top right corner of the screen next to 'profile' you'll see a little item called 'stats' - you then just click this and it spits out a breakdown of all your games for you.

Smile

Just kidding - it requires manual input into a spreadsheet and I started doing it once 'cause I was bored one day and was kinda interested in seeing what the demonstrable advantage of going earlier in the round was.

Please don't send an email to admin and get me banned from the site! Smile

(P.S: Still don't have 10 posts so can't use BBCode Sad )
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to do that much manual work. Choose the games you're interested in then highlight all the games, copy and paste into a spreadsheet with space for a couple of extra columns. If you're using Excel, use the COUNTA(startcell:finishcell) command to count how many players were in each game then sort by #players to group the games that way. In the next column, I manually note which number of player won (1, 2, 3 or 4) - I haven't figured out how to get Excel to determine which cell is highlighted, but it's easy to do at a glance. Then I set up a mini-table of #players vs. which player won and enter the numbers using the COUNTIF(startcell:finishcell, term) function, couting the number of 1s (for example) in my list of winning players.
Olrik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sedge"]
all you have to do is send an email to SBW admin with the title containing the phrase "enable statistical logging" [/quote]

email is sent. lets see... Wink

[quote="sedge"](P.S: Still don't have 10 posts so can't use BBCode Sad [/quote]

one day ill be a big boy and have those 10 posts too :/

i dont really have a significant sample size in 3/4 player tikal yet but it seems that i do alot better in 1st spot than in 2nd in 1on1.
tripitaka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is an old post but i figured it was still of interest to some people. And of course me.

So i have written a script that reads in and parses ALL data found in the "completed games" section of this site. I am only interested in Tikal so i have disregarded other games. Although it would be easy to look at that data too.

The data i have starts in Oct 2003 (when SBW came online) and ends on Jan 4, 2012 (when i went out and grabbed the data). Of course this could be run every month (or some other time period) to see how things change over time. The data has the following components:

1. The number of players (and hence the order)
2. The winner(s)
3. The type of game (Auction or Standard)
4. Date game ended

I did not grab the scores for any of the games. Maybe a future project.

so there are a whole bunch of things we can do. I have my own interests. I want to see how i fair head to head with various people depending on where i am placed in the starting block!

Are there any general facts that people are interested in?

For example. Here is are some real basic stats:

13805 tikal games have been played since SBW started and of these

4305 (31%) are 2 player
3291 (24%) are 3 player
6209 (45%) are 4 player

out of all 2 player games (18%) are auction variety
out of all 3 player games (11%) are auction variety
out of all 2 player games (11%) are auction variety

Hope this interests some people.

Trip
JokeToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good start to head-to-head analysis, trip.

even though 3-player is the least popular configuration, for my money it's the best, whether standard or auction. there's enough room on the board for all 3 players to deploy their work force efficiently and enough element of surprise to keep it interesting. it fits nicely between the chess-like aspect of 2-player and the chaos of 4-player. for what it's worth, when i create a new game it's always the 3-player type.

looking forward to your compilation of head-to-head stats ~ thanks for the good work Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: