SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the Bid Blockade and Outbid in the Same Province cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thing I've noticed (I think). When using the bid blockade and out bid power card, they both need to be announced before playing. The Bid blockade shows up in the SBW version by putting the X on the bid board, and showing it up in the scoring box as being played, however the out bid doesn't show up in the scoring box until the player outbids you. In short, I don't know that the player has played this card until after they over bid me. So in some cases i would bid higher.
THanks
tammykins

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Out Bid Reply with quote

The out bid does not have to be used until played. So the player is at the advantage of holding onto it until played, whereas the bid blocker has to be played at the begining of the auction phase, so everyone knows about the power card.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that still doesn't help the outbid card be any good. If you make a ridiculously low bid, your opponent should suspect it and bid what the province is worth!
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Amen-Re changes Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by "that still doesn't help the outbid card be any good." It is one of the best power cards IMHO. With it, you can bid 0 on a province and if you really want the province, you can play the card. Or, you've forced your opponent to bid more than they otherwise would have. Either way, it's a great card.
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought that by playing the card before you bid, you automatically lose the card even if you don't over bid.
Kanga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you dont play it until you actually need to (ie when you make the outbid).

Raven is probably unique amongst Amun Re players in thinking it is a useful card.
Gaditus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me to be of more use when there are other players who don't realise how much provinces are worth as it can get you something cheaply on occasion. (Of course that can also happen without the card.)

However against better players it should only be worth a little more than the 1 gold you can sell it for.
tammykins

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of keeping the outbid card a secret until you want to use it. I have also had the card in several games and not used it.

I think I rather have outbid card than bid block card. Bid block card lets everyone know right away what you want. I haven't had much experience with this card, so I don't know if you can change provinces or if someone can outbid you with the bid block card or not.

At least with the outbid card - you can change the provinces that you are bidding on in the same turn.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Out Bid Reply with quote

tammykins wrote:
The out bid does not have to be used until played. So the player is at the advantage of holding onto it until played, whereas the bid blocker has to be played at the begining of the auction phase, so everyone knows about the power card.

To be accurate, both cards can be played at any point during the auction, and will apply for the duration of the auction, even if you move your bid to another province. Obviously they do not take effect until they are played, so to outbid in the same province, you play the card and then bid. Similarly, you play the bid blockade card when you want to protect your bid, and then place the bid.

See the rules for details:

http://www.spielbyweb.com/rules.php?game=2&pg=13
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: