SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does everyone know this rule?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you know this rule?
Yes
72%
 72%  [ 31 ]
No
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 43

SiddGames

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Does everyone know this rule? Reply with quote

"It may become impossible to play certain land cards when there are no more free spaces on the board of that type. When this happens, the land card is treated like a pampas card. Eg. If a mountain card is played and there are no empty mountain spaces, the player places a land tile on any empty pampas space adjacent to one of his existing land tiles."

I just learned this today, after noticing some apparently aberrant tile play, lol. I've never known about this rule, and that includes learning and playing the game face-to-face for some time before ever coming to the SBW site.

Is there anyone else who didn't know this? I'm inclined to say yes, because there have been numerous games right here on SBW where people fail to make land connections late in the game, where (if memory serves) they should have been able to with depleted land cards in their hands...

Just curious. On the one hand, I'm glad I won't be playing with a hidden handicap in future games, and I like that it makes pampas tiles a little less valuable, but on the other hand, it seems like it will be even easier for land-chain players to extend their chains in the late game, which seems... too easy.

Edit: made this a poll, for my own edification.
spearjr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently learned that someone I'd taught didn't know this rule and thought they had random extra land cards in hand, which were unless to them.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We knew the rule, and it's programmed in the game.
docaction

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad It took me awhile before knowing this rule. I've noticed it when I lost a tight game. Evil or Very Mad
swok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!!
I dident knew the rule and ended up whit a large pile off useless landtiles
on several occasions Embarassed
Thanks for letting me know!! Very Happy
Early_10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned it after wasting numerous turns in a game on map 140 trying to figure out how the other 2 players had so many pampas cards when I couldn't get one. Embarassed I think Bob finished a hundred ahead of me after telling me half way through this rule I had missed. D'oh!
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I guess I'm fortunate.. I picked that up on my first read through the rules.

I'd never played before here though, I'd bet that with the 'standard' map, it comes up far less often then it does on some of the ones here.
SiddGames

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early_10 wrote:
I learned it after wasting numerous turns in a game on map 140 trying to figure out how the other 2 players had so many pampas cards when I couldn't get one. Embarassed I think Bob finished a hundred ahead of me after telling me half way through this rule I had missed. D'oh!

This is exactly how it came to my attention... I'm on map 140 and saw this huge land chain, so I checked the log and saw someone laying down forest and swamp tiles across the pampas. I wanted to know where I was supposed to see custom map rules Embarassed when it was pointed out this is a regular rule.
stargate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early_10 wrote:

and you are now an ADDICTED & COMPETITIVE Hacienda player
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SiddGames

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad I've now educated at least 8 other people about the rule, heh. Time to put it to good use!
SunLion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I did not know it. But then, I've never played in a game where we ran out of places to put specific land cards, so it has never been an issue.

I've mostly played off-line and therefore with the basic board. I guess all the great new boards here have much more potential for needing to know this.
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunLion wrote:

I've mostly played off-line and therefore with the basic board. I guess all the great new boards here have much more potential for needing to know this.

hint -- always count the land hexes on a custom map Smile
each land hex less than 70 equates to an additional pampas card
nita20698

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: that would be me:) Reply with quote

I'm the one that just learned this from SpearJR.

this seems to happen to me mostly in the unique maps.

I passed it on to my son yesterday.

Nita
Kanga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it shows how few people actually read the rules... Embarassed Shocked Confused
Djura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Kanga reads all rules fairly obsessively, usually saving me the need to do the same.... thus I have been lucky enough to know this rule the whole time playing hacienda online (and we haven't got the hard copy...yet...) Thanks Kanga!! Laughing

good post Jason; can make a big difference in a close game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: