SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes to game abandonment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Changes to game abandonment Reply with quote

I found on another forum that the official policy for abandoning a game is if a player doesn't take a turn for 2 months. That's rather a long time.

I'm in a game of Reef Encounter at the moment where a player hasn't taken a turn for a week. They're not away. In fact they've been taking a turn a day in multiple other games of RE for the last week.

I also see people who are marked as away taking turns. I assume they've accidentally not taken their away flag off or they've found internet access temporarily while away or they came back early. I see potential for abuse here however. Like how does taking turns affect your response time stats?

So what I'm suggesting is:

- Game creators can set the abandon time period on their games and it can be anywhere from one week to two months;

- Taking a turn while "away" will mark you as not away and you'll stay in that state for at least 24 hours;

Also, once you ind problem players (like this guy who is deliberately not taking turns as far as I can tell), frankly I don't want to be in anotehr game with him yet he's free to join any game I create. We need a way of avoiding/ignoring/barring such people (eg from games we create).
smlait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Taking a turn while "away" will mark you as not away and you'll stay in that state for at least 24 hours

The problem with this is that several of us use the away marker to mean "On vacation. Can't promise that I'll check in to take turns as regularly as normal." To those who play with us regularly, it's meaningful. If I'm "on vacation", I don't take turns 4-6 times a day like I often do if I'm at home. If I was *really* going on vacation (i.e. weeks without internet access), I'd avoid joining new games for a couple of weeks beforehand then post a note in any games that were still running to the effect of "see you in a couple of weeks". I know the system gets abused, but those who pull tricks like you're describing will just re-mark themselves on vacation once they've taken their turns in their other games anyway.
stargate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you contact the other player by "private message"
and just ask that he or she take their turn
or ask what the problem is

the subject of abandoned games has been beat to death in other threads
and for what is worth the problem has improved a lot over the last 10 months Very Happy Very Happy

none of us like abandoned games ---- but they do happen Sad Sad
just continue to play with others who complete games
and don't worry about the odd game that someone has abandoned
freduk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months is a long time. But so what? really? If the game isn't going anywhere, does it really make a difference whether it's sitting in your current list or your abandoned list? Really, it doesn't.

If you know that an opponent is taking turns in a different game, then you could PM him or post a message in that game asking why your game is being neglected. Just keep it polite.

My impression is that the Away flag is just a courtesy to your fellow gamers, letting them know that you may not be taking turns for a while. It's not meant to be a promise not to take turns Wink I don't believe it affects your response time stats at all. I fail to see how this could be "abused". Oh, hang on, how about this scenario:
"I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks"
"ha ha, fooled you, now I'm going to take a turn when you least expect it. The element of surprise could win me the game!"
Very Happy
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions come down to a more philosophical one -- is two months a long time or not? If someone takes an unexpected turn and no one is there to see it, does it really count? Are there really other people in the game with us or is this extremely well created AI? If I cease to believe/care about taking my turns will the games disappear? What happens if I die without finishing my games, will my epitaph read -- Abandoned 3 games? Now that I'm feeling depressed, I am going to go eat some ice cream and go to bed. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: