SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tikal Tournament of Champions (auction)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cterrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Tikal Tournament of Champions (auction) Reply with quote

I'm curious if there is interest in a Tikal Tournament of Champions. I would be happy to organize this. My thoughts are these....

16 player tournament, four semifinals with four winners feeding into one final game.

Top 16 players eligibility determined by number of wins when tournament officially organizes. If an eligible player is not interested or does not respond, next down the list gets an invite. Think of it like the game show Jeopardy and its TOC - the best players get invited back for a special tourney. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Auction version. It's a Champions Tournament - its supposed to be more challenging. Cool Cool Cool

Random draw determines who you play in the semis. Question Question Question

In case of a tie in the semis, player with most pieces off-board advances. Should it still be a tie, largest capped temple. After that, total value of tikis.

Thoughts?

Chris Terrell
andrew6261

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested if eligible....
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought if you want the best players, you'd get the top 16 win percentages (min 50 games?), not just the most wins.
I don't qualify on either count, but Auction would put me off anyway. It's just way too slow, more than doubling the time to play. Ok F2F but not PBM.
andrew6261

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
I'd have thought if you want the best players, you'd get the top 16 win percentages (min 50 games?), not just the most wins.
I don't qualify on either count, but Auction would put me off anyway. It's just way too slow, more than doubling the time to play. Ok F2F but not PBM.

A quick tally of my games shows about 20 days average for basic, 40 for auction. My view is that if you play a lot of games, the luck in the basic version evens out, so I take the good with the bad, but if you're playing a tournament, there's certainly an argument for drastically reducing the luck element. I'm sure we've all had games without being to place a camp...
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these 1v1 player or 4 player matches?
andrew6261

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t_o_m9 wrote:
are these 1v1 player or 4 player matches?

4-player
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the 4 player auction depends wholly on the order of the players, as some like to bid and others like to pass. The 4 player auction adds more of a luck element than the regular version IMO.
Koert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested - although I would only be eligible if you take the best % for minimum 10 games (as I have only played 17 games).

Regarding who plays who: instead of random draw, you could use the order of the ranking: 1, 5, 9 and 13 play in the same game; 2, 6, 10 and 14 in the second, etc.
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're goint to use seedings, then 1,8,9,16 - 2,7,10,15 etc is better.
tammykins

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Tikal Tourny Reply with quote

I would be interested in playing.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cterrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:

I thought about that, but some players play mostly 2 player while others play mostly 4 player, so that doesn't work as well. Also, it doesn't measure the quality of players you go up against. I lean toward the tougher opponents when joining open games because I like the challenge.

Most wins being the criteria is sort of a "reward" for those who have proven their ability over time - or at least their persistence! Wink
Bogey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You KNOW I'm in.

However, if you are going to use win percentages as to who can play...and that does seem fair, then how will you seperate out those that have a high win percentage because most of their wins weree 2 and 3 player games? Just a thought.
cterrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogey wrote:
You KNOW I'm in.

However, if you are going to use win percentages as to who can play...and that does seem fair, then how will you seperate out those that have a high win percentage because most of their wins weree 2 and 3 player games? Just a thought.

Paul, you're #17 at the moment, so I suggest winning a few on the hurry-up or hope somebody drops! What, you didn't think I knew you were #17 when I started this post??? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, I doubt all 16 at the top will be interested. Not everyone likes auction. So my guess is there will be alternates. In case of a tie for alternates I will use winning % for invites.
smlait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tikal Tournament of Champions (auction) Reply with quote

cterrell wrote:
I'm curious if there is interest in a Tikal Tournament of Champions. I would be happy to organize this. My thoughts are these....

I would be interested. (I only qualify if we go by #wins or %wins with a minimum of 50/100 games.) I think the semifinals should be seeded not just randomly drawn. The 1-8-9-16, 2-7-10-15, 3-6-11-14 and 4-5-12-13 groupings make most sense.

I don't like max. capped temple as a tiebreaker. Is that a tournament rule you've seen elsewhere or just for the sake of convenience? I'd lean toward using turn order in the final scoring round. It's harder to score well if you score last, so the later player in the final scoring round should win the tiebreaker, IMO. (That also means there's no need for secondary or tertiary tiebreakers - and it rewards players for doing well throughout the game if we're playing auction.)

Given a choice, I'd prefer "not auction" as I feel the turn order in the auction version is just as luck based as tile draw in the regular game. Also, I suck at auction-based Tikal. Smile But I'll play either.

Last edited by smlait on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
cterrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: First 15 invites submitted Reply with quote

There is a logjam near the #16 total win spot, so in the interest of avoiding ruffled feathers I think it best to extend the invites now to those currently in the top 16. I just sent the other 15 players PMs. If they decline or do not respond within seven days I will start going down the list for alternates.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: