SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santiago GAME 27793
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athafil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Santiago GAME 27793 Reply with quote

Today when i tried to access this Santiago game, it did not allow me to play and the graphic is all wrong
Gaditus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar problems on my Santiago games.

It was possible to take my turn by guessing where to click, but the graphics are not working properly. At least I now know what the crops are!
TheKeck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good, then it's not just me. Some kind of maintenance or update going on I imagine?
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the original artist came and asked us to not use his tile art. Mikael was going swap it out. I am assuming this is part of that process.
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanMC wrote:
I know the original artist came and asked us to not use his tile art.

Seriously?

I know people who have only bought the game after playing it here!

Last edited by striking_cobra on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Jernau25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with Striking_Cobra there - sucks big time. You would have thought it was free advertising for the artist as much as for the game really...
Golux13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I would prefer the online version of the game retain the full look and feel of the board game, I have to disagree with the "free advertising" comment. If you take that line of thought to its logical end, then any copyright or trademark infringement can be justified as "free advertising" for the owner. Plus, it completely misses the point.

Copyright law (and to some extent trademark law) gives the owner the right to control how his work is used. While some creators might really like the idea that people are spreading their stuff around, others may not be thrilled with the idea that they don't know who is using their stuff and how and they can't. It seems a small thing to us, but we don't know the details behind the request.

One thing I will say is that this site undoubtedly has a license from the publisher of the game -- I believe they do that for all the games -- and I would be surprised if the license did not include graphics. In which case, removing the graphics at the artist's request may have been more of a courtesy than a legal requirement. On the other hand, again, I don't know the details, so this is just me speculating because I like to see my typing on a screen. Smile
Jernau25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite right - it was a glib, throw-away comment on my part, and yes, we don't know the full details. Full retraction here Embarassed
spearjr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need now is someone who is an artist to whip up some nice replacement tiles. I'm decent at photohackery, but that isn't what is needed here. Sad
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jonbone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my new favorite epithet; "tile artist."
Wernazuma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everyone, whose games I delay, but I can hardly force myself to make my moves.
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, never knowingly upset an 'artist'. You end up with tiny foot stamp marks all over your carpet and spit all up the walls.

I work in office design and construction and in the past I have discovered that companies have seen layouts we have built and incorporated these features into their space without using my company. I could have a hissy fit, I could threaten legals, but the global view I've taken is to make sure they know we did the original and if they want any other work to give me a call. Everyone is happy (ish) and I haven't burn't any bridges.

I bought the game on the back of what I saw here. If the artist wants to limit his/her oportunities in the future then that's the way to go.

Regardless of the legality, if it is true that the artist asked for the images to be removed, then I (my personal opinion and I'm not looking for anyone to agree with me) think their behaviour and actions are petty and blinkered. Rest assured when I get round to finishing my game I won't be asking that monkey to do the graphics....who ever he/ she is. There's scary huh?
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what happened, based on how milksheikh explained it to me:

1) Way back when: SBW received permission from the publisher (Amigo) to put Santiago on SBW

2) The graphic artist, who actually retained the rights to the artwork -- not the publisher, subsequently sold the exclusive artwork rights to some other party. The graphic artist did not know about SBW at this point.

3) Per his agreement with this other party, the graphic artist asked SBW to remove the images. From what I understand he was very cool about it, and said that if he'd known SBW had the images, he would've perhaps done things differently.

So... I think we are definitely looking for replacement artwork.
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're waiting, could we use the tile "art" on the board (big square with the name of the item on it) for the auction tiles as well? On my computer, at least, I'm just seeing tiny square of colour (looks like a highlighted 1 or 2) which is making some of the tile types hard to distinguish (and must be murder for anybody colourblind). Thanks in advance, and no worries if this is too difficult to do.
Golux13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Here's what happened, based on how milksheikh explained it to me:

1) Way back when: SBW received permission from the publisher (Amigo) to put Santiago on SBW

2) The graphic artist, who actually retained the rights to the artwork -- not the publisher, subsequently sold the exclusive artwork rights to some other party. The graphic artist did not know about SBW at this point.

3) Per his agreement with this other party, the graphic artist asked SBW to remove the images. From what I understand he was very cool about it, and said that if he'd known SBW had the images, he would've perhaps done things differently.

This is pretty close to how I figured things had happened. It's pretty odd that the artist would have (a) retained his rights to the artwork when the game was acquired by the publisher and (b) sold those rights to someone else, presumably without the game to go along with it. Unless the game rights themselves were split up in some way, so two different parties have different rights to publish the whole game. However it happened, it sounds like a mess. (I could have done better. Cool )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Santiago All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: