SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$6 for caravan sites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Courthan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: $6 for caravan sites Reply with quote

ive got a few games on the go, and ive noticed that alot of people are paying $6 for these sites on round one. Ive been playing Amun Re for a while now with friends and found that such a strategy doesnt work, is there something im missing?>
Kanga

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$6 for one of the three caravan provinces is generally the starting price, depending on what other provinces show up. Getting one for $3 would be a great start in almost any game.

Of course, if the sacrifice level reaches 3 in even one of the first 3 rounds, then the $6 will prove to be poor value. But if the caravan scores all 3 rounds then you'll get your money back. Most games, the caravan will score every round.
Courthan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: i see what your saying but Reply with quote

getting alot of free stuff often pays out more in goods and also makes it cheaper to get more. whereas going caravan your forced to -3 during sacrafic to ensure your not beaten out of a payout.
Mabi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no problem, if you don't trust Kanga you will learn it the hard way Smile.
Online play is a great way to explore a game in depth.
Kanga

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but if the sacrifice remains low for the first couple of rounds, no amount of free stuff will stop the pain of no income if you have a farming province.

Money is king in the first half of the game. Twice in my 150odd games I've found myself 15 points behind at halfway. I won both of those games, simply because I had way more money.

It's possible to win games without having money at the halfway point, just much harder. I'd say 80% of games are won by the person with the most or second most money at the halfway mark. And the best provinces for making money are the caravans.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems we're forgetting some key variables in this discussion: number of players and number of other caravan provinces that come up.
Kanga

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've said above holds for 5 player games. I'd nearly always be willing to pay 6 for a caravan province in Round 1. The times I might not would be:

1. If the other 4 provinces are very heavily farmer orientated - eg Mendes, Buto, Thebes and Armarna.

2. If the worst province available is reasonable.

Generally speaking, in Round 1, I will pay $6 to avoid Mendes, Buto, Damanhur, Amarna and Abydos. If none of these 5 show up the value of a caravan is less.

In a reasonable portion of games I've played here, the sacrifice over the first 3 rounds will be 5 or less in total. If turns out to be 4 or even 3, you will be in a fantastic position if you've started with a caravan, barring a fantastic run of powercard pickups by a farming player.
MiltonRose

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is the best solution in this situation, there are alternatives
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: