SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem players
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romefreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Problem players Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Wally Fans,

I am having some serious issues with what I deem to be irresponsible behavior: players who join a game and then go away for 2 weeks. By the way, I have no problem if this happens once or twice, but I certainly do have a problem if the exact same player does this multiple times—over and over and over.

Is there a way to do one of the following?

-get an administrator to eject an irresponsible player
-block a particular irresponsible player from ever joining a game in the future
-notifying an irresponsible player to refrain from joining a game if s/he knows that s/he will take forever to make his/her moves?

I very much enjoy playing Wally with level-headed players, but I have recently experienced a dearth of games where one or two players will sabotage multiple games by doing nothing.

I am indeed aware of making each game password protected so that only responsible players will join, but this is not a 100% safeguard against ultra-slow players. Sometimes, I ask myself if these people consciously know what they are doing.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Sincerely,
Romefreak
CrazyYog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine also. I really hate when I join or start a new game and one of the players immediately sets him/herself away for several plus days. I really don't understand why someone would do this. There certainly will be plenty of games to join or to start up when they get back. My personal habit is to stop joining or starting games a couple of weeks before a trip.

However, I don't think kicking them is the answer. Maybe a reminder when they go on vacation that it is just common courtesy not to join any games until they return.

Another thing that irks me and it is fairly minor, but still rubs me the wrong way is when a player joins a game and is the final player, but does not even check to see if they are first. I have had that happen a number of times and it gets a bit old. Come on people just check before you walk away.

Gary
romefreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, CrazyYog, I was just wondering if there were a forceful way--as in an administrator taking some action--to deal with repeat "offenders."

Anyway, for those of you who do enjoy finishing a Wally game rather quickly, here is a game I hope you might join:

21465 OPEN-FAST Game: Be On the Ball 2 5 Creator
(password: quickmoves) Advanced Setup

All the best,
Romefreak
freduk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you really have had some trying times. Looking through your gamelogs since you joined 7 weeks ago, you have two games where you've had to wait (for the same player); once for 6 days, once for 5 days, and currently for 4 days.
I'm not sure how this equates to the statements in your original post about players joining a game then going away for 2 weeks, and doing this over and over and over.
Don't get so worked up about this. The game site is designed for people of all speeds. Unless you have specifically requested fast players, then just chill out and let the game take its course. It's no big deal in the long run. People often have to wait for a lot longer than 6 days.
Just enjoy the games as and when you play them. Smile
romefreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
Wow, you really have had some trying times. Looking through your gamelogs since you joined 7 weeks ago, you have two games where you've had to wait (for the same player); once for 6 days, once for 5 days, and currently for 4 days.
I'm not sure how this equates to the statements in your original post about players joining a game then going away for 2 weeks, and doing this over and over and over...just chill out...Just enjoy the games as and when you play them. Smile

Thanks, freduk, but I'd like to say two quick things.

First, the same player has not made a move in 15 days. I'm not sure how you are counting. Second, I am "chilled out." I do enjoy the game when I am playing it. In any case, I appreciate your input. I had just wondered how common it is for player to join a game and then disappear. Would you do that to fellow players? I doubt it.
stargate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with over 1400 games on this site
I have only 16 abandoned games

yes -- some players do quit playing, the problem is small
yes -- some players are slow, again the problem is small

for newbies playing in under 10 games-- one or more games that are slow
(or abandoned) makes the problem look much larger than it is

what game is being played and how many players are in the game
also affects the speed of the game

2 player games are faster than 5 player games
Wallenstein can be a slow game (even with fast players)
a 5 player Wallenstein can be very slow
CrazyYog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stargate wrote:
with over 1400 games on this site
I have only 16 abandoned games

Bob,

You are having better luck with abandoned games than I have. I have 590 completed games with 13 abandons. So I figure you have just a little over 1% of your games abandoned and I have just over 2%. I mean really it is not that much at all, but for some reason seeing those red marked games that have gone dormant just bug the hell out of me.

That is why I play a lot of closed games, so I can only let in the players that I enjoy playing with and am confident won't bail out on a game in progress. The open games I play in are where my abandoned games come in. I still like to play in the open open ones because I can meet some new players and maybe invite them into my closed, uncreatively named, "CrazyYog" games. Wink

Gary
stargate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary -- your bad luck on abandoned games is worse than mine Shocked
and when you subtract your 278 CrazyYog passworded games --
it's a lot worse Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
but it's only random luck >>> good or bad

of our 29 abandoned games -- 2 players account for 12 of the games
one player goes back a year and the other 8 months

over the past 8 months almost 13,000 games have been started on SBW
I am not sure but I think the percentage of abandoned games to games
started has gone down over the past 8 months

because open games have been filling fast
the number of open games that a deadbeat player can join is limited
and the number of abandoned games decreases when the deadbeats have
less games to join

Bob
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at approximately .534782609% of my games being abandoned, I believe the issue of abandonment has more to do not with the abandoners but the abandonees. Clearly with a much lower percentage of abandoned games, I must be a much more likeable person than Bob or Gary Twisted Evil
freduk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romefreak wrote:
freduk wrote:
I'm not sure how this equates to the statements in your original post about players joining a game then going away for 2 weeks, and doing this over and over and over...just chill out...Just enjoy the games as and when you play them. Smile

Thanks, freduk, but I'd like to say two quick things.

First, the same player has not made a move in 15 days. I'm not sure how you are counting. Second, I am "chilled out." I do enjoy the game when I am playing it. In any case, I appreciate your input. I had just wondered how common it is for player to join a game and then disappear. Would you do that to fellow players? I doubt it.

Ok, I am definately confused. Of your 9 current games, 7 appear to be moving, and the other two have been stuck since Feb 27. That's 5 days by my calculation. Which game is it that you've been waiting 15 days for? I can't see it. If I've simply missed it or miscalculated, then please excuse my previous post.
And for what it's worth, no it doesn't happen very often at all. But I think the other guys make that point. 1-2% abandoned is a small figure, although an annoying one.
I have to say as well, that I'm not the worlds biggest Wally fan - I find it too slow! Wink
stargate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that conservative New Hampshire allows
instiutionalized persons to have access to the internet Shocked Shocked
CrazyYog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkruppa wrote:
Clearly with a much lower percentage of abandoned games, I must be a much more likeable person than Bob or Gary Twisted Evil

That comment alone gets you an invite into my closed games! Twisted Evil
Mooslander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had any abandoned games yet. But I wish I had. Games coming to life once every two weeks aren't much fun at all. I'd much rather drop the whole thing and forget about it...

The very first game (Wallenstein) I joined on SBW is still "active" like this, although I have completed many more in the meantime. Do I still care about that game? Probably not.

However, while I would count myself as a reliable player, descriptions like "don't join if you know you'll take forever" scare me away from joining a game. It gives me the impression that the creator has had some bad experience (justified or not) and is taking that into the new game. "Forever" sounds like a fairly argumentative term, and I don't like to be yelled at because I didn't submit a turn for three days over a weekend where I didn't get to log on due to real-life issues and some unfortunate scrambling of player time-zones.

If my fears are wrong and you are reasonable about this, then let me know and I'll join one of your games. Smile (and yes, most of the time I can do up to two turns a day)

freduk wrote:
I'm not the worlds biggest Wally fan - I find it too slow! Wink
Wallenstein too slow? At least, the situation is shifting a LOT during those few moves. I think Amun-Re is really slow, just collecting your income can take a few days. Confused
romefreak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooslander wrote:
However, while I would count myself as a reliable player, descriptions like "don't join if you know you'll take forever" scare me away from joining a game. It gives me the impression that the creator has had some bad experience (justified or not) and is taking that into the new game. "Forever" sounds like a fairly argumentative term, and I don't like to be yelled at because I didn't submit a turn for three days over a weekend where I didn't get to log on due to real-life issues and some unfortunate scrambling of player time-zones.

If my fears are wrong and you are reasonable about this, then let me know and I'll join one of your games. Smile (and yes, most of the time I can do up to two turns a day)

Mooslander, "forever" to me means you take about a week to make one move. If you can make a move a day, that is more than fair. Thanks for asking, and I hope to see you in one of my games sometime.

All the best,
Romefreak
TheCat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You young whippersnappers should have been doing this back in the 1970s, when we were sending turns by postal mail. Expectations sure have changed.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: