SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tikal 4-P Tournament - FULL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markmist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Tikal 4-P Tournament - FULL Reply with quote

I have been thinking about the idea of a tournament for some time for Tikal. Both Amun Re and Wallenstein have had tournaments set-up, but not Tikal to my knowledge. I would like to keep this as simple as possible - so here is the format:

16 player field. The first 15 people that have played at least 20 games of Tikal that post a reply saying they want to play will be in. The 20 game requirement is to keep it to serious players. Should there be a shortage, I will allow others to join.
    Quarterfinals - 4 games of 4-Players each. Seeding for matches will be done after all 16 slots are set and will be based on the number of wins each player has for 4-P only. The more wins in 4-P, the higher your seed will be.
    Semifinals- The Top 2 scorers in each game move on to the semifinal matches. Based on seeding in the first round the matches will consist of the highest seed, 4th highest, 5th, and 8th and (2-3-6-7).
    Finals - The Top 2 scorers for each semifinal game will make the Final Match. The Winner will be crowned Tikal Tournament Champ - 2007.

Other considerations - Will use End-to-End worker movement. 1 player for each game will be designated to set the game up and the password to be used will be posted in this thread. Once the game is finished - the winner will post in this thread the result and scores.

I will give everyone a week or so to sign-up. At that time, if we don't have 16 people, I will open it up to players with less than 20 games played. Also, game speed should be normal. If you cannot play a game to completion in 2-3 weeks - then please do not sign up. If a game goes longer than 1 month, I may decide to disqualify the results of that match and the top 3rd place finishers from other matches will take a spot in the semis or finals.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. If this idea takes off - I envision doing a separate tournament for the Auction Version.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by markmist on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
smlait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play. Will the tournament use the new auction mode? That might help alleviate the bias against whoever gets stuck playing fourth.

(I'd love to see a 2-player tournament at some point. Personally, I think it has less issues with tile-draw and play order than 4-player does.)
Bogey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark" count me in though you may want to just use the bidding version only. It's been my experience that most serious Tikal players find the auction game far superior.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there's no shortage of opinions on the subject, I'll offer mine as well.

I think you might want to try 3-player with the Auction variant. I really think Auction is the way to go, especially with more than 2 players; however 4p Auction games could take a LONG time.
TMJJS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play no matter what version you choose!
gische

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, and I'll play whatever setup you choose.
TheCat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tikal 4-P Tournament - Join Now! Reply with quote

markmist wrote:
The Winner will be crowned Tikal Tournament Champ - 2007.

Isn't it a bit early to be declaring a champion for the entire year? If this is successful, there might be other tournaments in 2007. Also, what if you have 32 people who want to play, or 64?

I'm guess I'm not eligible for the tournament, because I haven't played 20 games, despite having dozens of f-t-f games under my belt. I only played a few games on SBW because the non-auction version is too random (I've always played auction f-t-f), so I stopped playing. Once the auction version is out of beta, I expect to play more games.
Bonedigger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in.

I would prefer the auction variant, but I'll play any ruleset.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tikal 4-P Tournament - Join Now! Reply with quote

TheCat wrote:
Once the auction version is out of beta, I expect to play more games.

http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1338

I guess you didn't see the news. It went live last Friday. Hope you enjoy many, many games of the auction version!
cpsof95

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. Cool
brianlcarr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Tikal Tourney Reply with quote

I'm in!
Brian Carr
markmist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tikal 4-P Tournament - Join Now! Reply with quote

TheCat wrote:
[Isn't it a bit early to be declaring a champion for the entire year? If this is successful, there might be other tournaments in 2007. Also, what if you have 32 people who want to play, or 64?

Yeah, you are right - I thought about not saying 2007, but left it in for some reason. Hopefully we can have more throughout the year. Also, I cut it at 16 because it is kind of a trial run. If successful, the next one could be 32 or more.

TheCat wrote:

Once the auction version is out of beta, I expect to play more games.

I will plan on running an Auction tournament as well once this one is over (unless someone else wants to run it). I might do 3-p instead of 4-p as Happyprole suggested due to the longer length.
markmist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smlait wrote:
I'll play. Will the tournament use the new auction mode? That might help alleviate the bias against whoever gets stuck playing fourth.

Bogey wrote:
It's been my experience that most serious Tikal players find the auction game far superior.

Both of you guys make great points and I agree although I have only played 1 auction game so far. I thought I would start off with non-auction, since more people are familar with it. Just look at this first tournament as more for fun. I will plan on running an Auction tournament once this one is over which will be more serious. .... Now to go practice more Auction games.... Cool
Vinny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in if there's still space
andrew6261

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to play
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: