SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muzza

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Replacement players Reply with quote

Is there an existing method for replacing a player who has abandoned their position? If so, is there an accepted time limit for a player to be late before being declared abandoned?

Thanks,
Murray 'Muzza' Grelis
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: A proposed solution Reply with quote

Considering various people's comments, I am proposing the following apporach to handling non-responsive players:

- After 3, 7, and 10 days, the site will automatically send a reminder that it's time to take your turn. The reminders will get progressively stern.

- At 14 days, the player will be booted from the game, and will be marked as inactive. This player will need to email me with a good excuse to be reactivated. The game will open up for a replacement player. The replacement will identify whether or not he/she wants the game to count in his/her statistics. The site will also track these acts of kindness separately, to encourage players to fill open slots.

- I will add a "going on vacation until xx-xx-xxxx" function so that users can keep from being booted when they know they won't be able to respond within the allotted timeframe (and also just so their opponents are aware they are away).

- When creating games, users can specify "responsiveness criteria" for players to join the game (i.e. must average under 12 hours per turn). I am already tracking these statistics (see http://www.spielbyweb.com/users.php). Of course, the player creating the game must meet to criteria as well.

How does this sound? Is it sufficient? Too much?

Last edited by milksheikh on Fri May 28, 2004 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
DALCOW01

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good proposal.

Tks and Cheers
DalCow
phil

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your proposals are fair and equitable, and seem to be achievable from a coding perspective. I say "Go for it!"

Thanks again, Mikael!!
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
edroz

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the proposal. I really hate it when people seem to drop out of a game or disappear for long periods of time without warning.

The vacation idea is nice. I usually try to post a comment when I will be away for a wait. Having a function for that and maybe a note/indicator next to the player's name would remind people that they are away.

What would you think of having the multiple reminders tied to the speed of the game? If you select fast play (multiple moves a day?) the current player would get a reminder every 6? or 12? hours, for one move a day you get an extra e-mail every 24 hours, for one move a week use the 3/7/10 day idea. This might help remind people who "disappear" because they simply missed the e-mail.

Ed
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Muzza

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Very sound.
OmniGeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Good ideas. Reply with quote

Yup, ALL of those proposals are good ideas from my viewpoint. I support them.
universeman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a solid proposal to me too. Right now, I have a player in an active Bus game who disappeared before choosing their first action, so the sooner the better from my perspective.
theoneweasel77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definetly support this proposal, or at least some way to deal with missing players. I'm in one game that hasn't moved since may 17th!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: