SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

password games wtf?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew6261

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is no big deal, just create a game yourself, and people will sign up. Most games are password protected because people have had bad experiences with new players signing up and not seeing games through. Most of my games have not been password protected and have been enjoyable and run to completion.
Scammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it seems like every game (Tikal and others) are private/password games. But that shouldn't stop you from creating a non-passworded game yourself. That's what I do. Maybe one or two of the 100+ games that I've played in are ones that I created and didn't use passwords.

Realize though, the reason for the passworded games. The risk you run, when you run open games, is of getting players who either abandon games or take a long time to get moves in. Passworded games let you pick and choose the players, so you know what you're getting.

Oh, and you'll find that non-passworded games fill almost immediately. So if you create such a beast, it won't be long before its filled!
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wernazuma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't judge a site ibefore you a seriously looked into it. That's 3 thumbs down. As it has been said, you can open non-passworded games. I do it all the time and it works fine. I'm only jealous that I don't "belong to the guys", i.e. all MY passworded games are concrete revanche-games or tournament games... Crying or Very sad
spearjr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: password games wtf? Reply with quote

ptdgames wrote:
Every game requires a password. yay!

this site is a 2 thumbs down

What it means is that every time someone creates a non passworded game it gets filled VERY quickly.

If Bob wants to play a game with his friend Pete, it shouldn't be seen as a slight against you.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have stated, it's not that all the games are passworded, it's just that non-passworded games fill and start so quickly that there are usually few of them waiting to start. I see that as a good thing!

I just ran some numbers: of the active games 391 are passworded while 1067 are not.

Also, there is a note on the games page that says:

"No non-passworded games to join? Then create your own." and it links to the Create Game page....
craw-daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, where's the FAQ when you need it? Wink

But seriously, maybe the "No non-passworded games to join? Then create your own" link near the top of the Games page needs to be made more obvious so that new users can see this.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a 36pt scrolling marquee in flashing red?

I did add some text and put it in bold, and I'm going to start a sticky FAQ thread today -- I've been meaning to add one for some time now.
nearsider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should also post a link to the FAQ directly somewhere on the main page/games list page/in the bar.

That way folks don't have to go to the forum to see that it's there.
dcorban

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is 2 thumbs down

I create non-password games all the time and they are filled within minutes. Literally.
nearsider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when I first came to the site (just over a year ago), I was puzzled by the fact that there were no non-passworded games and was a little intimidated about creating my own. I hadn't played here, I didn't know that it was OK for just anyone to make games and that it would fill up quickly.

I agree there's no reason to come to forum to post and complain, but it can be a little scary at first, especially since you don't know what to expect.
cpsof95

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Then create your own." Arrow "Then feel free to create your own!" Question
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started adding some common SBW-specific questions into the site FAQ (link at top of this page). I also added a link to that FAQ on the games page menu in red.

I may start trimming the FAQ to remove some of the more obvious, generic phpBB stuff.
nearsider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, trimming that is probably a good idea. That's pretty intense.

Perhaps having that as the phpbb faq is fine, but maybe link to the site-only faq (the forum thread) from the main page? Or can you not have permanent links to PHPbb threads?
andrew6261

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Then create your own." "Then feel free to create your own!"

At the top of the games list page there is a sentence that reads "No non-passworded games to join? Then create your own. Open games fill very quickly!" the 'create your own' phrase is a clickable link that takes you to the page of games run on the site, then you click on the game you want to create.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearsider wrote:
Perhaps having that as the phpbb faq is fine, but maybe link to the site-only faq (the forum thread) from the main page? Or can you not have permanent links to PHPbb threads?

That was my original plan, but then I noticed (for the first time) the site-wide FAQ. Maybe I'll just split the two and create a "Game FAQ" link...

We can always use the forum FAQ for brainstorming questions to build the FAQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: