SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Undo for idiots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swift_4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Undo for idiots Reply with quote

Any chance we could get an undo option for those idiots who click the wrong button and choose the wrong country?

Not that I know any of them...
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most requested feature...

It of course couldn't be an undo, per se, as someone else would get notified and could take their turn... But an "are you sure" confirmation. Someone said they didn't want to have to click twice, so I'd probably make it a user-configurable thing (in your account profile, perhaps).

I hope to actually do this, but it could be a lot of work...
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jwarrend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree -- something like this is an absolute must. I just finalized my moves and sent them off and was shocked to find that my choice to build a church had been erased mysteriously. It's possible that this is my fault, though I'm 100% sure I didn't leave the box unselected; it may be that my wheel mouse just changed it on me or something. But, having some extra "buffer" before your moves get written in stone, or a chance to "undo", would really help. I'm very frustrated right now, and unsure whether to be mad at myself, the computer, or the interface. An "undo" feature would at least remove the last one as an option...
phil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original poster is looking for a confirmation box during the Province setup phase, where there is no chance to recover from an inadvertent mouse click.

I'm not sure what you're asking for, as the Finalize Action button does provide a buffer to review all choices before committing them. It is incumbent upon the player to ensure that the choices are as desired before clicking on this button. Adding another confirmation button would be like having someone ask "Are you really sure?", which would be annoying. I, too, have had problems while using the mouse wheel, and have now gotten into the habit of clicking elsewhere after using it in order to stop the mouse wheel's affect (it will keep scrolling through pulldown choices if you don't make another part of the display active). I think the interface is fine as is.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jwarrend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil wrote:
I think the original poster is looking for a confirmation box during the Province setup phase, where there is no chance to recover from an inadvertent mouse click.

This is sort of what I'm after as well. My point is that face-to-face Wallenstein has a functionality that this interface doesn't -- you can go back and review your choices while others are still making their selections. I can understand that in the web interface you wouldn't want this to go on indefinitely, but it doesn't seem like it would be difficult or unreasonable to allow players to make changes while others have not logged their moves, with the understanding that after all players have logged moves, the most recently logged set will become "active" (even if a player is still editing his...)

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're asking for, as the Finalize Action button does provide a buffer to review all choices before committing them.

Sort of, but on my screen, you have to scroll down from the action selection area to the Finalize Action button. It would be nice if the screen then blipped to the "capsule summary" that shows up during the actual turn sequence, with the 10 actions' names and the territories you're taking them in. And then a "yes, make my actions final" button.

Quote:

It is incumbent upon the player to ensure that the choices are as desired before clicking on this button.

Of course, blaming the player is accurate but it's not terribly useful or satisfying. I don't want to win (or lose) simply because someone (or me!) made a mistake that was computer-related rather than strategy-related. The point is, I don't know how this particular error happened, because, as I said, things were just peachy when I scrolled down to hit the Finalize Action box. If there was a "are you sure?" feature (which wouldn't be that annoying...it would add 5 seconds to finalizing your actions) or a "undo" feature, I wouldn't have to speculate as to the cause of this problem and worry about whether it will happen again.

Quote:
I think the interface is fine as is.

I agree that the interface is great, and I'm thrilled to have the chance to play Wallenstein online -- I am very grateful to the writer for creating this! But I do think this little bit of extra functionality would prevent mistakes like the one that I experienced, which I'm now stuck with for 2 weeks; an "are you sure?" box (with the "overview" box showing the actions you made) would only cost you 5 extra seconds. I think in light of that (and since others seem to want the feautre as well), if it was easy to make such a change, it would be a great change to implement...(if not, of course, I'm sure we'll keep playing it regardless!)

-Jeff
OmniGeek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: ARRGGHH. I just fat-fingered a move. Need a "confirm&qu Reply with quote

I just moved troops where I didn't want'em, and not for the first time. I would *greatly* appreciate the ability to confirm my moves before committing them. I understand there's nontrivial effort involved, but the benefit is at least proportional to the effort, IMHO.

Thanks in general for this awesome site!
Mark Ultra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: