SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategy Tips for Tikal players exploring the wild jungle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Strategy Tips for Tikal players exploring the wild jungle Reply with quote

Strategy Tips for Tikal

A huge part of this game is about intimidation on both sides of the fence.

One example is say someone moves to an isolated part and it costs 5 AP (action points) to get there and it's a 4 temple. Ok just because they are there first doesn't mean you can go in and at least nullify there score. So what if you can't send a 2nd guy in to gain majority. At least you'll make them spend more AP trying to get a 2nd guy in there.

Another example is knowing when to quit. If you do get into a big war over an 8 temple make sure it's by one of your base camps. You'll play with some people that throw there entire G.I. Joe Army dudes in there. So be it. Let them have it and move out of there for cheap.

Never let someone cap a huge temple without having 3 guys in there. Why 3? Simple don't let their Expedition Leader escape (he's worth 3) as it's a powerful piece.

Pick a few fights and only a few fights. If you spread yourself out over the board you'll never win many of them. Hopefully the other players will contest others for the big scoring temples.

I used to go for the 8, 9, 10 temples but rarely is it worth it anymore (4 player games I'm talking about). I nice 5 or 6 is pretty nice. A 7 is a bonus if it doesn't cost me too much. Think of it this way. Why spend 10 more AP moving 5 more guys in there to contest a 6 or 7 when you could've spend only half that and capped it many moons ago. That's simple ..greedy.

Treasures....let me do the calculations for you if you don't mind.
1 treasure = 1 VP
2 same treasures = 3 VP
3 same treasures = 6 VP

When you exchange a treasure for 2 of the same you go up 2 VPs not 3 VPs. You lose 1 VP by giving it away and gain 3 VP so 3 VP - 1 VP = 2 VP net gain for 3 AP.

When you exchange a treasure for 3 of the same you go up 2 VPs not 3 VP s. You lose 1 VP by giving it away and gain 3 VP (3VP to 6VP) so 3 VP - 1 VP = 2 VP net gain for 3 AP.

So why is above important.

Because you have to think for those 3 AP you would use to exchange a treasure can you use those 3 AP and gain majority over a 3 temple instead. In other words you'll get 1 more VP than you would by exchanging treasures.

2 player game...never cap a temple and lose more than 1 or 2 guys especially early on the game before the 3rd volcano has erupted.
kevinb9n

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One example is say someone moves to an isolated part and it costs 5 AP (action points) to get there and it's a 4 temple. Ok just because they are there first doesn't mean you can go in and at least nullify there score.

I haven't seen enough of this happening... and lots of cases of people just getting away with murder because the other players weren't moving in to give them a hard time...

Quote:
When you exchange a treasure for 2 of the same you go up 2 VPs not 3 VPs.

You only go up 1 VP. You had two treasures worth 1 + 1 and you end up with two treasures worth 3.

Treasures seem like a great idea in the first two phases of the game only. And every time you dig you have to take the risk that your dig is going to help your opponent more than it does yourself. (You spend 3 pts to dig and get 1 VP, he spends 3 pts to trade with you and gets 2 VPs!)
mrbass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinb9n wrote:

You only go up 1 VP. You had two treasures worth 1 + 1 and you end up with two treasures worth 3.

You are correct....man I shouldn't be typing this fake stuff up...thanks for the correction.
shizzane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
kevinb9n wrote:

You are correct....man I shouldn't be typing this fake stuff up...thanks for the correction.

Just trying to pad your stats, huh? Cool
JonBen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to talk about the worth of treasures in this way because you are only evaluating the local value of VP at a one single instant. However if you dig before any scoring you will get one tresure for 3 AP (plus cost of moving there, which is not the AP cost of the movement since it is usually benifecial to get some workers on the map anyway) but it will score 4 times, so that's 4VP for ~3AP spent, which is good. On average you should expect 1VP for every AP spent.
Another important thing to note is that the minimum you can earn from digging a tresure is 1VP (per scoring) since the number of treasures you have can never decrese and they are worth at least 1VP. Tresures also don't require you to invest any man power, there is no majority only ownership, which is interesting only in that it is very different from the other method of obtaining VP.

Anyhow food for thought...
mrbass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonBen you are correct and I agree with everything you say. I guess my comment was more geared toward the last third of the game play. In other words getting 2 VPs up by treasure or instead getting 3 VP s if you can gain majority over a 3 Temple.
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while treasure *is* important, you can have an incredible lead on treasures and still lose if you neglect the temples - particularly if you let your opponent guard a couple of big numbers for only 1-2 workers.
slith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Strategy Tips for Tikal players exploring the wild jungl Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
Strategy Tips for Tikal

A huge part of this game is about intimidation on both sides of the fence.

One example is say someone moves to an isolated part and it costs 5 AP (action points) to get there and it's a 4 temple. Ok just because they are there first doesn't mean you can go in and at least nullify there score. So what if you can't send a 2nd guy in to gain majority. At least you'll make them spend more AP trying to get a 2nd guy in there.

I actually disagree with doing this, unless you can also score the temple. If player 1 spends 5 AP to put a guy on a 4 temple, then you, player 2, spends 5 AP to put a guy on the same temple to nullify their score, then you are at a position where players 3 and 4 have 5 more AP than players 1 and 2. You have spent 5 AP for a net gain of 0 VP to you. On average though, this is equivalent to a gain of 1.25VP in a 4 player game and a 1.66VP gain in a 3 player game (looking at how much closer to the average score you are), but you also help players C and D just as much. Actually, by nullifying 1 player's temple you are helping all other players not involved in the fight more than you help yourself because they didn't have to spend the AP. Of course, you may want to nullify 5 the temple for player 1 if player 1 looks like they are winning.

I think it's only worth going after the temple if you think you can take it from another player. This sometimes depends on the turn order. If player 1 spends 5 AP to put a worker on a 4 temple and you as player 2 then spend 5 AP to put a worker on a temple, then 3 times out of 4 in a 4p game (or 2 times out of 3 in a 3p game) when a volcano is flipped, they can spend the 5 AP to put a 2nd guy on that temple before you and get the 4 VP. You'd then need to spend 10 AP to get a majority on that temple to earn the 4VP. If you were player 1 and player 2 moved the worker for 5 AP to the 4 temple then I'd be more tempted to compete with them, but there are still no gaurantees.

Simply put, I think it's fundamentally bad to spend AP that won't earn you any VP.

Of course, stealing a temple that someone has uncovered additional levels on, with a surpise leader move by transporting it from one camp to another is definitely advisable as this can give you a relatively large number of VP for minimal AP expenditure.
mrbass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you it's usually not worth it but if that player is #1 or #2 and is in contention to win then it is worth it to nullify their 4 points and force them to spend 5 more AP. I see a lot more APs being wasted going for treasures, etc.
slith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
I agree with you it's usually not worth it but if that player is #1 or #2 and is in contention to win then it is worth it to nullify their 4 points and force them to spend 5 more AP. I see a lot more APs being wasted going for treasures, etc.

Agreed.

I've seen people spend about 20 AP over several rounds to get 3 treasures when they could have controlled 2 temples worth 4 each. But I guess not getting treasures can be a bit like leaving a temple uncontested. One person can plonk one worker there and get all the treasures for minimal AP expenditure. At least acquiring treasures gaurantee you points that can't be stolen.
Bogey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think treasures are important.....more important than bass states.

However, what everyoine fails to mention is that playing on this website, withouth bidding, can severely limit your choices and force you into a temple "only" game.

I enjoy this game alot and appreciate the site. But lets not confuse the issue. The only real Tikal is with bidding and eagerly look forward to an updated version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: