SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

extra canal strategy tip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: extra canal strategy tip Reply with quote

Ok call me a late bloomer but only a couple days ago did it hit me about this. I guess I was blind before.

Say your CO which means usually you should try to take a bribe that leaves just one free water canal placement since you have last bid next turn. However, that doesn't always work out for whatever reason. So say your in turn 5 or higher and especially say your in turn 8 and you and one other player have an extra canal. Guess who is placing it next turn? Yep that's right the other player since they are first in placing the canal as you are LAST in bidding and LAST in placing the extra canal. So even though placing your extra canal doesn't water anything try to see which tile has a possibility of flipping up (remember 9 tiles per crop) and hope for the best. I've been doing this last couple days in many games and it really seems to pay off.

Also I'm not sure I see people doing the screwage water canal as much. I do it occasionally. In other words, placing your water canal as to prevent your opponents from using theirs when it'll pay off big time for them. Remember only one extra water canal per turn. So if your before them you prevent them from placing their canal. Sure you lose your extra canal but if it helps your crops grow then it might be worth it.

Other general tip is obviously your trying to get the best ROI (return on investment) but it seems many gamble every single turn bidding $3 or $4 when they're gonna get outbid. It's better to accept your not making a dime this turn instead of losing $3.

Also look at what you bid and propose a bribe of around that. It's ok to propose a bribe of a little more (bid $3 and bribe $3 if ROI = $5...lose $1...unless future pays off) if you believe your plantation of crops will multiply in future rounds. Make sure there is ample room for growth.
TMJJS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: extra canal strategy tip Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
Remember only one extra water canal per turn.

I never knew this point. I was taught the game wrong and thought everyone who had a canal could use it in turn order. I'll have to think through the possibilities of this Smile
MadeleineTD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyesvisions. com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Santiago All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: