SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's revamp the chit tower!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you in favor of revamping the chit tower?
Yes, it's time to change it.
37%
 37%  [ 19 ]
No, it's fine the way it is.
62%
 62%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 51

Alashar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Let's revamp the chit tower!!!! Reply with quote

I love Wallenstein and for the most part I love the implementation of it here, with one glaring exception: the Chit Tower. From what I gather, the odds in this online version are:

1. An army going into the tower has a 30% chance of getting stuck.
2. An army previously stuck in the tower has a 30% chance of being dislodged during any battle.

I don't know where these percentages came from, but they don't seem to reflect the behavior of the chit tower in the boardgame version. As I understand it, the chit tower was designed to bring the element of randomness into the battle. Well and good and it seems to function quite well in the boardgame version. Not so here. I would argue that in its current implementation, it throws in so much randomness as to often negate all the planning and strategizing one puts in at the beginning of each season.

A couple of examples: In Big Brawl VI, I launched an attack with 12 armies to which 1 was added from the cup. Only 5 came out of the chit tower. In the same season, another player was defending a territory with 10 armies to which 2 were added from the cup: only 3 of his armies fell out of the tower. I've seen worse examples and they happen too often.

I enjoy the random element of the chit tower, but when it gets to the point of negating one's choices and making the consequences totally arbitrary, then I think it's time to make a change. I stayed away from this online version for awhile because of that, and I know I'd play it more now if it more faithfully reflected the boardgame chit tower.

I don't know what the percentages should be, but I'd wager the percentage of chits getting stuck in the tower should be lower, perhaps 25%. And of those being disloged during battle, I'd estimate it to be significantly higher, perhaps 50%.

If it takes several people doing statistics with their chit towers at home to find what percentages would be more accurate, I'd be very happy to participate and do my part.

Meanwhile, please vote and/or express your opinion.
TheKeck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Those voting to change the tower outnumber by 2 to 1!!! Razz
sbryantf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that the online version is "more random". I've seen more strange events in real life than I have here.

Anyway, if what you're going for is a more faithful reflection of the real life tower, you really should use a more powerful statistical model. The underlying assumption of the current model (with or without your proposed tweaks) is that each event is independent. But it seems to me that in the real life tower, the events are actually highly dependent. For example, the more recently a cube has been added to the tower, the more likely it is that it will be in a position to be knocked out.

The problem is that a more powerful model will require more parameters. This means you will need a much larger sample size in order to produce meaningful statistics. It also means that it is going to be much more complex to implement the model.

To me it comes down to "if it ain't broke...." Short of some compelling statistics showing that the current implementation somehow gives consistently lopsided results, I'd much prefer for the developers to be spending their efforts on new games.
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two examples you give are bad (in terms of outcome), but they are just that -- two examples. In the first case, 13 armies went into the tower and in the second case 12, so the expected average number of armies to emerge (assuming none already in) is 9.1 and 8.4 (70% of 13 and 12), respectively. In your two examples, obviously, the number that came out was significantly lower... but that's the thing about probabilities: sometimes, the less-probable outcome happens. There is nothing inconsistent with five, or even three, armies coming out when twelve go in; it's called "bad luck."

It's also the case that if SbW made the change you suggest -- 25% chance of getting stuck instead of 30% -- then your two bad scenarios could still come to pass. The expected average in both cases would go up to 9.75 and 9 (75% of 13 and 12), respectively, that's all. Same thing if you increase the chances of dislodging a stuck army: the outlying, less-probable outcomes can still occur.

I think it would be wonderful to have the SbW tower mirror the real-world tower as closely as possible. There are two considerations with that, though: (1) the real-world tower probabilities are dictated by physical factors that cannot be duplicated on any computer short of the NOAA's weather forecasting supercomputers; and (2) if you are going to mirror the real world, you need data from the real world, and not just a few hundred data points. Ideally, before setting the algorithm, the SbW admins would have watched hundreds of thousands, or millions, of runs of army cubes through the tower and compiled reasonably accurate probabilities. Obviously, that didn't happen, and they just picked numbers that seemed reasonable to them. The "reasonableness" can be debated -- I think it is, and a couple of bad examples are not going to change my mind -- but if you are going to propose a change, I think the only valid rationale for the change would be to conduct the kind of massive study I described. (Sorry, but voting on what everyone thinks is the "right" probability is unhelpful.) I don't see it ever happening, so we all have to live with the fact that whatever numbers we plug into the probability equation, we are never going to have a perfect simulation of the real-world tower.

So what I do when calculating whether to attack is create a simple equation: (0.7 * A1) + (0.3*A2) = At, where A1 is the number of armies going into the tower, A2 is the number of armies stuck in the tower, and At is the total number of armies that would be expected (on average) to emerge. I calculate that for both sides, and figure my odds of success on that basis, recognizing that even if I am heavily favored, I could still lose. The technical term for which, I believe, is "shit happens." And the best way to avoid having that be a game-turning moment for you is to plan your strategies and avoid attacking unless your calculated advantage is huge.

Sorry about the long-winded post, but it always nettles me when I see people complaining about probabilities being wrong or broken on the basis of a handful of anecdotal bad outcomes. (This may have something to do with playing online poker. You would not believe the whining.)

Last edited by Golux13 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and thanks, sbyrantf, for saying the same thing I said, but only taking 1/3 the space to do it.

Confused
Alashar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Let's revamp the chit tower!!!! Reply with quote

Yes, Golux, I only cited two examples, but I could in a very short period of time, produce 200 from games recently played, and given a little more a time, a thousand. Of course that wouldn’t necessarily prove anything because in the end, it’s all rather subjective. We can also bandy around statistical catch phrases all we like and while that may make us sound intelligent, it still doesn’t prove anything.

Yes, of course, it would be ideal to have sample size of 100,000 or better yet, a million, but I doubt that it really needs to be that large to be more accurate than picking “reasonable” numbers out of the air. It’s likely that a sample size of several thousand would suffice and be more accurate than that currently in use. Of course, if you’re happy with the way it currently functions, than it’s very easy to call for a sample size so large that it defies actual testing.

Yes, perhaps the SBW admins picked numbers that seemed reasonable to them when they designed the chit tower, but do they seem reasonable to those of us who play regularly? The “reasonableness” is the question here and is the subject of debate. Nor do I agree that the “only valid rationale for the change would be to conduct the kind of massive study I described”. If people are unhappy with the way the chit tower is functioning, then a poll is a way to find that out. If more players would be happier with a change, then perhaps that is a valid reason for making one.

Golux also said “the best way to avoid having that be a game-turning moment for you is to plan your strategies and avoid attacking unless your calculated advantage is huge.” And how do you go about planning precisely when and where someone will be attacking you? The point is your calculated advantage should not have to be huge. I don’t see that that accurately reflects the board game. Requiring it to be huge seriously undermines the strategy and the planning, which is the point of the game. By increasing the randomness to the point of arbitrariness, the game is robbed of all the careful planning and thought we put into it.

“If it ain’t broke…” In my opinion it is broke and it needs fixing. I am not suggesting the developers spend 6 weeks locked in a room testing a chit tower a million times. I too think that time can be better spent in developing new games. But if changing an algorithm in a game can significantly improve play, then why not do it?

I’d be happy to run a sample of a thousand myself, and if there are enough people willing to do smaller sample sizes, it might be worth doing. Another possible avenue is run several beta versions of Wallenstein with different algorithms and see how they play. It’s quite possible that the game in its current condition is not perfect and could be improved upon.
sbryantf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alashar -- I encourage you to go ahead and compile a list of examples. My only suggestion would be that you define in advance what an unreasonable result would be. Is it any time the difference between the number of armies going in and coming out is at least 3? Maybe some sort of percentage? Once you have some objective criterion of what constitutes an unreasonable result, then it simply boils down to an exercise in counting. How many times were the results reasonable, and how many times were they unreasonable?

Of course, people may argue over your chosen criteria, but the great part is that you can test a variety of different criteria simultaneously. Once you get the raw data into some sort of spreadsheet, it's a relatively simple matter to see what happens under different definitions of "unreasonable".

I suppose one straightforward solution would be to add an option alowing person who creates the game to choose the parameters of the tower. List these numbers on the games waiting to start page, and each player will know what they're getting into. I suspect that this wouldn't be overly difficult to implement.
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: It Cuts Both ways Reply with quote

A computer model will never totally replicate the action of the real tower and in the absence of a chimp willing to throw every permutation of cube into the tower a squillion times, how could we know.

So the accusation of the model not being realistic is unproven. Critisisms are purely subjective and the important thing is it cuts both ways. I have had some dire results in an online game; 6 armies attack an empty province and lose. However I have benifited from some totally unjustified victories too.

Like someone else said the board game does some strange stuff too. As long as the model is consistant for both sides this approach works fine.
dragondreams

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suck it up and deal with it.
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's revamp the chit tower!!!! Reply with quote

Alashar wrote:
We can also bandy around statistical catch phrases all we like and while that may make us sound intelligent, it still doesn’t prove anything.

Well, I'm glad it sounded intelligent, but that wasn't my point. The point of discussing statistics and probabilities was to make it clear that any "bad" outcomes are the result of probability doing what it does and kicking someone in the ass, rather than a broken system.

Quote:
Yes, of course, it would be ideal to have sample size of 100,000 or better yet, a million, but I doubt that it really needs to be that large to be more accurate than picking “reasonable” numbers out of the air. It’s likely that a sample size of several thousand would suffice and be more accurate than that currently in use.

On what basis do you think that's likely? As I noted, if you want to duplicate the real-world tower, you have to account for the physical factors involved. Those factors would include: the number of armies in hand (including non-participant armies); the force with which they are dropped or tossed into the tower, a variety of factors related to how they interact when they tumble off each other; and for all I know, temperature and humidity as well. I really doubt it would be possible to do enough test runs to develop a useful algorithm for SbW.

Quote:
Yes, perhaps the SBW admins picked numbers that seemed reasonable to them when they designed the chit tower, but do they seem reasonable to those of us who play regularly? The “reasonableness” is the question here and is the subject of debate. Nor do I agree that the “only valid rationale for the change would be to conduct the kind of massive study I described”. If people are unhappy with the way the chit tower is functioning, then a poll is a way to find that out. If more players would be happier with a change, then perhaps that is a valid reason for making one.

I guess that's up to the admins. But here's how I envision your scenario playing out: You propose one set of probabilities. Someone else proposes a second, someone else a third, etc., etc. All are "reasonable" based on their proponents' experiences. I suppose to some extent, all are equally "valid" as representations of the real-world tower, in that none of them are based on a serious statistical study. So each person winds up arguing for his numbers, and people vote for what they sort of think sounds about right, and you get...

...the same situation you have now. Bad outcomes that seem to defy logic and probability. Wins "stolen" and strategies negated by stuck armies. All the things that happen in real-world games, too. The only difference is that now you maybe have more people who think that the SbW tower implementation is a reasonable reflection of the real-world tower. And who knows how long that lasts as people are still hit with bad luck?

Quote:
Golux also said “the best way to avoid having that be a game-turning moment for you is to plan your strategies and avoid attacking unless your calculated advantage is huge.” And how do you go about planning precisely when and where someone will be attacking you?

Same way you do now. How is this relevant?

Quote:
The point is your calculated advantage should not have to be huge. I don’t see that that accurately reflects the board game. Requiring it to be huge seriously undermines the strategy and the planning, which is the point of the game.

Well, you clearly play a different game than I do. The main lesson of combat in Wallenstein, IMO, is that to come anywhere near ensuring a successful attack, you had better have a pretty overwhelming force. If you go about making attacks on the basis of a 2 or 3 army advantage, you will be disappointed more often than not.

Quote:
By increasing the randomness to the point of arbitrariness, the game is robbed of all the careful planning and thought we put into it.

The current probability settings are not arbitrary, they are the admins' approximation of the real-world tower. We can argue all day about whether they are a good or close approximation, but they are not "arbitrary." A truly "arbitrary" setting would involve pulling two numbers out of a hat and assigning them to the stick/unstick probabilities. (In fact, a straight-up 30% stick/30% unstick probability is a lot more predictable than the real-world tower -- due to all the physical factors I noted above -- so your careful planning and thought should actually go farther in this implementation.)

Quote:
“If it ain’t broke…” In my opinion it is broke and it needs fixing.

If you can come up with a principled rationale for changing the probabilities, I might agree. But I think it would require at least some data comparing the percentages of the real-world tower over a fairly large sample size to the 30/30 probabilities we have now. (Bad outcomes within the SbW implementation do not mean the system is wrong, unless you want to suggest that the random number generator is not actually working within the claimed 30/30 probabilities.)

Quote:
Another possible avenue is run several beta versions of Wallenstein with different algorithms and see how they play. It’s quite possible that the game in its current condition is not perfect and could be improved upon.

Sure. But again, you would need a large enough sample size compared to the real-world tower to judge the relative merit of the algorithms. Just because 25/50 might make you happier does not mean it's a more appropriate choice.
LostSoul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference that there may be between the online and physical dicetowers is that of capacity. If the online game uses the formula of .7 and .3, there is a possiblity that all the cubes could be kept in the tower( this is obviously an extreme case). The physical tower must have some sort of capacity that once reached cubes fall out on a one to one ratio. A simple modification to the formula that adjusts for cubes in the tower could be all that is needed. I have never played the physical game so I appologize if I am talking out of my ass.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plans to turn the cube tower into a sub-game developed in Flash that will allow each player to "throw" his cubes into the tower at a certain angle and with a varying amount of "force." The tower will be mapped in a 3D space that will even approximate those pesky inner corners in the actual tower. It will use a sophisticated physics engine that we've spent the better part of the past six months tuning and refining.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say there were plans to do this? I meant to say there are no plans to do this, now or really anytime in the foreseeable future.
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Did I say there were plans to do this? I meant to say there are no plans to do this, now or really anytime in the foreseeable future.

Had me going there. Very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: